Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Just Released!!! my latest productivity tool, RapidUnity Graphical Toolbar

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Greg-Bassett, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi, and Happy New Year to you all!

Well I had a nice break over the holiday season, and during that time I finally managed to create my graphical toolbar for Unity.

It is something I have had on my to do list ever since I started creating my RapidUnity tools, and with all my tools, it is something I wanted to help speed up my workflow in Unity.

How many times have you gone to add a cube to a scene, selected the GameObject menu, selected Create Other, and then the sub-menu that appears, suddenly disappears again because you slipped slightly with the mouse and moved off the menu.

Well those days are over!

Now you can have a graphical toolbar, allowing you to carry out the most frequent of actions within the Unity Editor.

Now add primitive GameObjects, or Empty GameObjects at the click of a button, add a Rigidbody, or collider, may be a hinge joint.

Drop in a light, or camera, add a particle system, or wind zone, they are all available on the RapidUnity Graphical Toolbar.

The graphical images themselves should help you know what each button does, however if you simply hover the mouse over a button a tooltip is displayed telling you what the button does! Cool eh!

Also included are modified layouts based on the Unity defaults, except now with the RapidUnity Graphical Toolbar running along the top of the interface.

For more information on this new addition to my RapidUnity toolset, and my other tools, checkout http://www.rapidunity.com

Also, look out for my Motorcycle Add-on to my RapidUnity Vehicle Editor coming soon, take a look at forum thread for more info... http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/52...Unity-Vehicle-Editor-Resource-Pack-v1.5/page4

Try the two-wheel mockup webplayer here http://www.alabsoft.com/Unity3D/motorcycle_test/WebPlayer.html

2. granada

granada

Very cool, very simple (important to me :confused: :D).What are your plans for this if any,i would like to be able change the size of the buttons.(great service by the way)

Many thanks

Dave

3. Adrenaline-Crew

Adrenaline-Crew

haha, awsome! Once the AI and Rapid Unity Vehicle Editor is done i am just going to buy one of each on your site!

4. PolyMad

PolyMad

Looks interesting but I'd like to know what exactly the package contains :)

5. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

What you see is what you get, plus modifed layout files based on the standard Unity layouts, just incorparating the toolbar at the top.

The toolbar helps to speed up your productivity in Unity, making it easier to get scenes setup etc...

For me, just being able to add primitive GameObjects at the click of a button is awesome, no traversing the menus, and sub-menus.

6. phoberman

phoberman

For Mac - the location to copy the .wlt files (missing from the install pdf) is:

Users/Username/Library/Preferences/Unity/Editor/Layouts/

7. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi phoberman,

Thanks for that, really appreciate it, I really need to purchase myself a Mac, even just a Mac Mini... are Mac's really as good as people say, eg. PC's always go slow every now and then, or freeze, I am told Mac's never do that, is it true?

I will update the pdf install doc and send out an update.

Thanks again!

8. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi all,

Just to let you know I have released a TRIAL VERSION of my RapidUnity Graphical Toolbar, please visit http://www.alabsoft.com/gtb.shtml to download the trial for FREE!

9. granada

granada

I must say i find myselfe using this all the time,great little tool for £6.99 (approx $10/€8) its a steal.

Dave

10. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Thanks Granada, I am glad its of use to you. I also use it in all my projects, by copying the package file to the \Unity\Editor\Standard Packages folder on your computer.

This will add the Graphical Toolbar unity package to the New Project wizard, allowing you to add the toolbar to every project you create by default.

Finally, would it be ok to use your comment on my website, kind of what the user is saying etc?

Thanks in advance!

11. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Anyone know where Unity now stores the Editor Layout files? the above location does not exist for Unity 3.3/3.4 and Lion OSX?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  12. Deleted User

Deleted User

Nice toolbar makes life a little easier, just one niggle though I am unable to dock it as shown when moving it to the top toolbar it adds a tab but immediately expands making it impossible to adjust.

Attached Files:

13. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi, thanks for your kind comments!

With regard to docking it neatly, it can be done, but you need to move the other panels about, and it can be a bit of a pain. However I included some additional layouts that you can just select that are based on standard Unity layouts, but with toolbar at top.