Search Unity

Just Downloaded Unity

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Rstat, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Rstat

Rstat

I have an idea on where to start with tutorials and learning how to use Unity. However, I would like to know what other things i may need to download to make games and apps. Any suggestions for things to make music, art and sound effects for game and apps would be helpful. Preferably free or quite cheap, cheers ;)

2. LaneFox

LaneFox

I would suggest not downloading too much as you get started. Just stick with learning unity using the free samples and stuff that they provide, otherwise you'll get overwhelmed.

Kiwasi likes this.
  3. Rstat

Rstat

Ok that's good advice. I'll get used to using Untiy before I get any art, sound and music programs. When it comes to it though, what would you suggest?

4. hopeful

hopeful

There's so much free stuff in the store these days ... it really depends on what sort of game you want to make.

And when you do the tutorials, you'll get free stuff too for a lot of them, like scripts, art, and audio. So be sure you scour the tutorial section thoroughly for the things that would pertain to the sort of game you're interested in developing.

Also, when you make your game, emphasize prototyping to start off with. So simple characters as placeholders, simple objects, and so forth, until you get your scripts (and game) working. Then think about how you actually want things to look and sound.

When you start adding real assets, it takes up a lot of resources and makes things slow (like loading and build times). So best to stay nimble and slim for as long as you can.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Ryiah and JoeStrout like this.
  5. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

When you do get around to it, I recommend Audacity for editing sounds, Graphic for vector graphics (often used for UI elements etc.), Graphic Converter for general image manipulation, Affinity Photo for painting, and Cheetah3d for 3D modeling.

Some of those are Mac-only, of course, but since you didn't specify, I get to assume whatever I want. ;)

6. Zullin

Zullin

Here are my personal preferences, and they are all free. I don't do my own sound effects, nor do I have that desire. All of these tools have a steep learning curve though there are tons of tutorials and free resources for all of them.

Blender for 3d modeling.
    Gimp for texturing.
    LMMS for music.