Search Unity

Just discovered Unity, and I'm yet to grasp the nettle...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by San_Holo, Sep 30, 2014.

1. San_Holo

San_Holo

Hi,

'Grasp the nettle' basically means I've yet to really start anything in Unity but wow what a great system, I didn't think it would be so good.

I'm one of those old chaps (born late 1960s) who saw the birth of the arcades as a kid and those games of old never leave your consciousness as they penetrated the soul so wonderfully at the time it left me always wanting to create something along the same lines for myself but never actually competing a finished 'game' as such.

So I'm going to need a kick up the bracket from time to time, you know coding with a partner or having some kind of deadline really works for me, but at the moment I'm looking into the infinite and wondering if I should try... I'm hoping you chaps can help me along the way, I have one goal.. to complete a finished game which others would enjoy also and then I'll let my imagination run riot and see what happens with new projects and ideas.

I've heard your a good bunch and very active and I hope you wouldn't mind the occasional dumb question from me, but I intend to stick around and give back as much as I'd need to take to get me rolling up to speed... I know a little what it takes to develop a game or anything really, discipline and passion some tuna sandwiches and lots of coffee I suppose.. and a vision of your finished wonder inside your mind as yet crafted into pixels... yes been there, got distracted by wine, woman & song and boom... I'm doing a job I hate not being creatively challenged at all and just feeling I should of done this years ago... I'm going to ramble a bit now but I did start trying to imagine my own games on something called a ZX80, my first game was a basic tank gunner thing which was summarily ripped off by the 'publisher' I sent the cassette to... my very first wares were pirated even back then, never mind we carry on, I made a few things on the C64 and many other micros, got a good feel for coding etc doing pixel graphics.. then I reached 18 and was side-tracked by life and there was a massive gap till my Amiga days then again life took me to the side and said hey..enough computer Mr... anyhew years later I've got another chance and I want to take it fully and as far as I can go in Unity, I've got many years of gaming imagination to spew out through it :)

I have of late been dabbling in various things, in 2009 I started a custom server for a 3D shooter FPS game which was custom programmed and that lead me to the world of programming in Lua so I think getting to grips with Unity's C-Sharp should be fine, plus I have for the last year or so been trying my hand at 3D asset creation for another game-engine, I'll post a couple of example youtube links to my 3D stuff if that's ok for a first post :)

So I just need to combine my efforts and grow a little with Unity and I've been following some great Unity tutorials and I'm interested in doing a retro shooter, I know it's been done to death but for me being new I'd like to try it and then see if I can't add some stuff and make it into something cool and better, anyway sorry to babble on, it comes with age... cheers

Whippets and NomadKing like this.
  2. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Welcome aboard. Yeah, the Unity community is amazing.

Whippets and San_Holo like this.
  3. 3agle

3agle

Almost as amazing as the Unity staff <3 ;)

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

And the moderators are the bestest, ever!!!! Or maybe the worst. One of those.

--Eric

superpig and randomperson42 like this.
  5. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Tuna sandwiches! That's why I can never get my game finished, I forgot the tuna sandwiches!

(Welcome aboard ;) )

6. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Some of the ppl here are complete twats like that JamesLee guy, but dont mind him. He's just a grumpy old dude who can be equally helpful if the sun is in the right position, and you ask the right things ;)

Think I better go make me a tuna sandwich so I finish something.

Meltdown likes this.
  7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Superpig and Hippocoder are cool :p

Just kidding Eric :D..

@JamesLeeNZ

One persons tw@ is another persons comedy gold.

8. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Well I do find myself hilarious at times... not sure anyone else does but... heh... oh.

pro tips for not annoying old guys...
    1. post in the right section
    2. quick read of the rules/stickies

9. CaptCanada

CaptCanada

Hi San,

I too am a child of the sixties, 1965 to be exact. I remember the fond days I spent as a youth coding an ASCII maze game on my TRS-80, with visions of D&D in my head as I coded it in Tandy BASIC. It was a great learning experience and carried me through the Amiga heydays. I still have both machines today!

I've been using Unity for a year now, but not a solid year as life seems to be taking precedent. I did manage to create a demo of sorts called "Don't Go Into The Woods!", which I put on IndieDB.com. I too feel in love with Unity quickly as I realized it was exactly the answer I wanted, as at the time I was coding using XNA trying to make simple games. I really wanted to make an FPS and found Unity could drastically decrease my development time.

I am still working with Unity, currently working on a horror suspense themed game that takes place in an office basement, and truly am amazed at what can be accomplished. Hopefully Unity 5 will push it further and become a great competitor for Unreal

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah welcome. Anyone who's dabbled on 8 bits onward must surely be by default cool in my books.

11. ippdev

ippdev

Late 50's here. Wrote my first program..X's and O's that printed out each move in ascii text... on a hewlett packard punch card machine in 71. Didn't get any hands on computer stuff till a Mac in 92 that actually kept up with my drawing speed.. Before that it was a no go.

I was actually old enough to enjoy..heh..the late 60's and early 70's

12. Meltdown

Meltdown

Welcome to the community. As someone born in the 70's, and having my father owning an arcade games business (wasn't I lucky :D), just throwing this out there, Rygar was the best arcade game ever.

13. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

surely you mean Joust. I blew a lot of quarters on joust and pole position.

14. ippdev

ippdev

I played slot machines in Germany as a Canadian NATO brat at the Sgt's mess while my parents drank and pinball. When Pong came out it was huge in our neighborhood. And then when exploring new vistas during certain comestibles ingestion we would drop 25 bucks in quarters playing the drag racing game with the seat and shifter and pedals but a small replica of a drag track in front in like a display case. By the time video hit arcades I was bored and chasing other things. Well..I did get in a good amount of Space Invaders and PacMan whilst drinking pints and chasing things. Even had a custom BC Rich PacMan guitar.

15. Moosetaco

Moosetaco

Loved Rygar on NES. Eventually I'll replace the console so the kiddos can enjoy all my old NES games as well.

Meltdown likes this.
  16. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

I have a terrible history with tuna. It was so bad that I can never eat tuna anymore without my stomach forcing me to throw it back out...... *shivers*

17. NomadKing

NomadKing

Welcome to the forums - dumb questions are fine, as long as they are in the correct section!

18. srmojuze

srmojuze

Nice maybe submit your spaceships (original ones) to Unity Asset Store :) ...A pack of 5 spaceships maybe.