Search Unity

Just did the exam

Discussion in 'Unity Certification' started by MrQaz, Feb 26, 2020.

1. MrQaz

MrQaz

...and I failed.
    Specifically the Unity Certified Programmer exam.
    I bought the practice exam, studied the subjects for the questions that I got wrong and studied for a solid week, only to end up getting 482 points. It was 500 to pass, 700 max.
    I didn't go down the courseware route because I was told that it wasn't very effective and I don't think I missed out on much.
    Be warned, the practice exam's question are shorter, easier and seem a bit dated compared to the live exam.
    I calculated and I was less than 2 correct questions or 3% away from passing.
    I'm absolutely distraught as I was hoping to present this at this dream job interview I have coming up and they say that they require it.

Given my story, is it worth me getting the certified associate certification so that I at least have something to show on the day? If so, given that I got so close to passing the UCP exam, do I even need to study for it?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  2. JohnnyGinard

JohnnyGinard

Hey man, I also failed with a 490 points score (1 question to pass)... For a couple of minutes I went to cry to a corner and after wiping out my tears I studied deeply the questions that I hesitated to answer and I retook the test. And this last time, I can not only say I passed the test, but I passed it with a high grade! :D

It's a pretty difficult test as the questions expect you to have experience making games in that specific topic. So, to answer all correctly you would have to know the entire Unity's API and have made a game of all genres xD BUT, in the end, if you improve yourself and persevere you will also make it! :D

So, keep working at it and you will pass! And this goes for anyone watching this thread :)

PS: I also had the same situation of wanting to have it to show it at an interview and couldn't xD Now I can show it! :)

Attached Files:

3. AlessioGrancini

AlessioGrancini

Hey guys I had a similar experience and I would like to share it in order to understand if there is anyone that can help. I failed for 3 points! very sad.. Generally I believe that the official courseware and the official practice test are not even remotely close to how the real test is structured and the fact that they do not allow you to see your test after the exam for me it's unbelievable!
    How can someone can get ready properly!?
    Honestly, I am very frustrated. Cause I passed the last month going through the courseware, learning a lot of things, but also not directly related to the my very first goal ; passing the exam and get certified ! I really would like to know if there is any reliable source that prepares you for this exam. So far it felt like a lottery.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  4. bearnavy4

bearnavy4

The only thing I can say here, is that soon I will have my exams and I don't know how I will overcome them. That's not going to be a great experience.

Popcornnn0o and jjrice2233 like this.
  5. muerbingsha

muerbingsha

is UCP exam free? Thank you for clarification.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  6. JakeRaz0317

JakeRaz0317

Did you end up retaking the exam? If so, were you able to find any good study resources? I haven't taken it yet, but am looking too soon. I've made a bunch of projects and I feel very comfortable with Unity, but I can't find any good study resources. I bought the practice test but am now questioning whether it is worth my time. I know Unity recommends a bunch of courses, but from what I've read those are garbage. If anyone has any tips or advice, I'd be very appreciative to hear. Thanks.

jjrice2233 and TiffJam like this.
  7. rodellison

rodellison

Have watched this thread for a bit. I'd started my UCP prep using the course-ware back in Jan 2020, finished it in March, but then due to test centers repeated rescheduling of my exam, only finally was able to get an exam scheduled in July. I just squeaked by passing the Exam (score of 517/700), a grade I would have liked to have seen better, but a pass is a pass. To be honest, I'm a bit frustrated with the UCP course-ware vs what was asked in the exam. I'm obligated to not say whats on the exam, but from a preparation perspective, I feel its fair to say this. The course-ware uses a heavily dated version of Unity that's no longer available, spends time implementing obsolete techniques (e.g. old Remote Settings vs new Remote Config), is opinionated in some areas (the teacher injecting some of their own practices), and doesn't even touch important areas related to Unity Services. The course-ware's games do show you how to create two particular genre games, but ultimately those games and what's implemented have only minor bearing to the questions the exam ultimately asks. IMO, you'd be better off investing your time immersing in Unity Learn content than purchasing the Unity UCP prep course-ware to see more examples of relevant coding techniques. Be familiar with all of the Unity Services, and in fact implement them in one of your own projects to gain experience.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  8. AlessioGrancini

AlessioGrancini

Does anyone know how can someone get to the wrong questions from the test to study better? is it even possible ? thank you. It doesn't seem you can access to it through the portal.

9. Loden_Heathen

Loden_Heathen

Will prep for Unity exams soon, have done plenty of Microsoft exams in the past. With them you get a report showing each area tested and what your % was to help you improve in the trouble areas. ... is that not the same with Unity exams?

jjrice2233 likes this.
  10. fathahnoor

fathahnoor

Just today, I took the UCP exam test and failed. To prepare for the UCP exam test, I used these materials:
    • MeasureUp's UCP Practice Test
    • Coursera's UCP Exam Preparation Specialization
    • Packt's UCP Exam Guide
    I didn't get a chance to learn from O’Reilly's UCP Exam Courseware before. Based on my experience, I think the material from Coursera helps me more than any other source. The alternate version of some questions on its quiz appears on the real UCP exam test.

Hopefully, soon, I can set aside some of my income to retake this exam test. Good luck to you guys!

Note: 4 years ago, I already passed the Unity Certified Developer, but the UCP exam test level is much more in-depth and focused than the UCD.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    Noha_Morte and jjrice2233 like this.
  11. TorreyD12

TorreyD12

I took the Unity Certified Expert Programmer Beta exam back in July. Still waiting on my score. It stated that it'll be 12 weeks after exam administration closes. The exam was quite in-depth. Pass or fail, I'm just curious as to what my score was. Best of luck to you all!

jjrice2233 likes this.
  12. YousafGrewal

YousafGrewal

Any One who attempt programer certification exam please guide me what types of question they ask what should fous on to pass exam Any one???

13. Fenevis

Fenevis

well thanks that's helped me avoid 90+VAT for the practice tests, the course ware link doesnt even work (certified programmer) so I'm not buying that either lol the lack of effort from unity in the coureware has me concerned if i'm better off diverting that money elsewhere though to be frank.

also commiserations on the exam! I'd certainly chase money back given the poor standard from the practice and courseware though!

14. Swathi-RS

Swathi-RS

Any luck ? Has anyone who took the exam passed, please provide inputs

15. K_RAMJI

K_RAMJI

Hi...you mentioned about practice test. Was there any questions from practice test in the main exam ??? Could you please explain about the exam and practice test ???

16. K_RAMJI

K_RAMJI

Sir...I have a query. Please reply.

Are you talking about the UNITY CERTIFIED ASSOCIATE: PROGRAMMER exam? I mean the current one/latest one?

17. rodellison

rodellison

For my post, I was talking about the Unity Certified PROFESSIONAL programmer exam and certification.

anycolourulike likes this.
  18. tesan

tesan

Same here, pretty upset, firstly because the test was in French, I don't know where I've set it.. And when you learn everything in English, the mistranslated French is so confusing.
    I've used the unity courses, test exam and bough the Unity Certified Programmer:Exam Guide. Which are great to learn things, but a lot of subjects are not on the Exam: Post Process, VR, Network, Design Pattern, Bitwise and a lot of subject are juste one question like: Scriptable Object, Animation or UI.

And I was pretty confident because exam test and book test are pretty close, but the final test is not the same !!

So I've learned a lot during the preparation and it was really interesting, but the exam didn't reveal AT ALL these skills.

So I suggest you to not buy the unity courses and test exam, which is expensive, if you want to prepare the certification, but focus on all 3d environment and scripting skills.