Search Unity

Just curious: what's in Ubuntu that's missing from the underlying Debian?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ChanceNCounter, Jun 8, 2019.

1. ChanceNCounter

ChanceNCounter

Debian is my daily driver, both as a dual-boot option and for the server in my closet. Debian-stable is hotfixes-only for years at a time, so I'm just wondering how we wound up in a situation where Ubuntu (built on Debian) is officially supported, but Debian is not.

I don't know much about Ubuntu, though. It was my understanding that it's fundamentally just a superset, Debian for end users. Am I wrong?

2. aboul

aboul

Hi, my 2 cents; Debian-stable ofen means old packages, where Ubuntu comes with recent ones ...
    (for me it's Debian testing, probably equivalent to an Ubuntu)

3. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

It's just more popular and we can't test and ensure every Linux distro out there works.

4. nitrofurano

nitrofurano

no surprise that some of the distros we find at distrowatch are based on testing instead of stable

5. ChanceNCounter

ChanceNCounter

I get that, but Ubuntu is built on Debian. I wouldn't expect you (or any rational person) to try to support even a handful of distros, but Ubuntu is a Debian-based system. They start with Debian and then they build stuff on top.

That leaves me thinking that Unity might have a dependency that's part of Ubuntu, and I was wondering what that might be (if it exists.)

6. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

And they break stuff in the process :). You'd also expect Unity to work on Ubuntu 19.04 if we make sure it works on Ubuntu 18.04 yet that isn't the case due to changes to the default OS installation.

We don't have any specific dependencies on Ubuntu as we also support CentOS with exact same binaries. However, we only declare to support what we test on.

7. MostHated

MostHated

I had a few issues, but they are worked out now It was mostly the hub. I have had no issues with Unity itself on 19.04.