Search Unity

Just a few more questions

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by taumel, Jul 6, 2005.

1. taumel

taumel

Well as i've read martys article about delta-timing a few random questions came up my mind...

a) If the engine is frame based (if i've understood it right), do you use double-buffering? Can i control when to flip, clear screen...?
    b) Delta-timing must be done by me right?
    c) Do you use any advanced mechanism that graphics, logic and updating the screen runs in sync or is this up to me?
    d) Is there a fullscreen mode? If so in runtime and web?
    e) Is it possible to lock the mouse position?
    f) Do you provide any mechanism to easily link a sound to a physic-event? "Ball hits floor and plays sound when it does make sense." Or do i have to check somekind of collisontable on my own?

What i would love to see is a a perfomance-monitor like in virtools to detect bottlenecks.

Hey and did i ever mention that i also would like to hear: We're working on the windows version?! :O)

Greetings,

taumel

2. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

A lot of questions. I suspect that the fact that you don't have a Mac means you didn't actually take Unity for a spin, no? Half of the answers are fairly self evident if you toss Unity around for a bit. Anyway, I'll address the questions below:

a) this is all automatic...
    b) We have functions for all of this. There are different methods available depending on the situation.
    c) This is never a worry.
    d) Yes, both the normal runtime and the web-player can do full screen mode.
    e) When in full screen it naturally happens, otherwise not.
    f) Yes, this is really easy. Check the car demo scene in the Physics Demo project that ships with Unity. You can do varying levels of collision checking. For instance GooBall uses quite advanced collision checking for all kinds of corner cases, while the car demo scene is quite dumb about it.

We don't have a performance monitor in place at this time. Don't know when we'll have it.

Cheers,

d.

PS. And no, nothing announced about a windows version of the editor. I promise you'll know if/when.

3. taumel

taumel

Okay thanks! Sorry i'm the blind one in your community...so i had to ask.

Just out of curiosity: Did anyone of you ever tried out if unity runs with pearPC? Obviously i'm not after speed in this case...

Greetings,

taumel

4. FancyPants

FancyPants

On the topic of locking a mouse, is there any way to "unlock" the mouse in full-screen mode so that you can have clickable interfaces?

Thanks,
    -Thomas

5. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

I'm 99% it would not work. Better advice would be to visit a friend who has one. Make it a weekend and make a game together. One works textures and models on (your) PC, one combines and scripts with Unity.

I always have very complicated advice in store for you, don't I : )

6. taumel

taumel

*laughing* Indeed that's a great hint! Say, where do you life David? ;O)

Greetings,

taumel

7. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Copenhagen, Denmark.

It's beautiful summer here right now. Come right over. It'll be a ball. I'll make coffee.

I'm a little bit busy with OTEE, but hey! what are friends for.

8. taumel

taumel

Well at least i hope you know how to use unity a bit then?! ;O)

germany, munich

And well it's couldy&rainy but i don't care as it's dark outside and i will go to bed now...

Thanks,

taumel

9. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Sleep tight then... I'll keep going a bit more... these press releases are killing me.

(for the record, I think one should at least consider buying the produce of any company who's CEO wishes you good night : )

d.

10. taumel

taumel

Oh thanks that was nice. I hope you also did get some sleep that night?!

For considering buying unity two things:

First you don't have to worry as your wishes went from one CEO to another one.
    And secondly if i wasn't interested in unity i would have left this forum since some time ago. Buying unity isn't the problem. It's bying the mac...

Anyway i made some thougts about a little game which could show some strengths of unity and should have some good replayability without doing too much leveldesign work.

I hope that you don't mind if i ask two more questions:

a) Do you provide somekind of realtime path-finding-functionality?
    b) Any AI-classes included in unity? Steering behaviours for movement for instance?

Greetings,

taumel

PS: The screenshot on your homepage looks much nicer now!

11. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Hi Taumel,

I'm really glad you are still considering Unity though the platform is wrong for you.

For path-finding, have a look at what aarku's work http://otee.dk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=159 . Maybe you can convince him to show you the code.

The scripting API has a good set of discovery-functions, so an AI class can have a good look around. OTOH we do not AI classes with Unity. AI usually is very game-specific, so it's hard to get right in the general case. So for now the forums will have to work for you.

I'm looking forwards to finding out what game idea(s) you have, whether it will be when you ship, or whether you write it up here for others to give it a spin. Maybe you can even find someone to work with on it?

d.

Ps. Yeah, I wound up in bed a little later. Mmmm, sleep.

12. taumel

taumel

Hi David,

>>>I'm really glad you are still considering Unity though the platform is wrong for you.<<<

Yep weird person i am... :O)

>>>For path-finding, have a look at what aarku's work http://otee.dk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=159 . Maybe you can convince him to show you the code.<<<

Ahh okay A*. Already did this i Director. Anyway would be interesting to see how it looks like in unity...

>>>The scripting API has a good set of discovery-functions, so an AI class can have a good look around. OTOH we do not AI classes with Unity. AI usually is very game-specific, so it's hard to get right in the general case. So for now the forums will have to work for you.<<<

There i have to partly disagree. Yes gamecode is very specific but OTOS you also have genre specific fundamental tasks. Path-finding, generic AI movement fits in there very well. I think it's more a matter of time for you, as there are other things to do first.

>>>I'm looking forwards to finding out what game idea(s) you have, whether it will be when you ship, or whether you write it up here for others to give it a spin. Maybe you can even find someone to work with on it?<<<

Dunno i just scribbeld it on paper and did a little texture-work and when there is time and unity...hmmm do you know somekind of thumb-factor for comparison of a slower mac with faster novodex vs. faster pc with ode?

Meshes are editable in unity right?

Greetings,

taumel