Search Unity

Just 2 fbx files, script or animation?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by San_Holo, Oct 7, 2015.

1. San_Holo

San_Holo

Hi...

I've got a two framed animated object I want to create, I am using 3D files, 2 x FBX, I thought I could script the mesh render to swap them out, it's a simple space-invader, 2 frames or should I animate them differently?

http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Splittinganimations.html

I've had a look at that documentation above but I just can't get anything to animate using name conventions or legacy animation, don't really know Blender too well I tried, would have to take another course on using it and Maya is 30 days free for me but surely I can do it, I'm thinking script to save time but I want to be as efficient as possible, please advise thanks

2. San_Holo

San_Holo

You know, I'm gonna plum for sprites, simple easy... it's only a little space-invader thing, so cool

3. San_Holo

San_Holo

got it

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Yeah sprites or the simple 3D ship can be animated in Unity pretty simply so you don't have to bother with those behemoth 3D packages.
    I'm a big proponent of using the software for what it is for, so normally I suggest complex animations to be done in 3D apps suited for that purpose, but the more simple animations I do for game development the more I like how Unity can handle these pretty easy. Especially in the example you gave.

Update when you have it working.

5. San_Holo

San_Holo

I just went with a simple sprite based animation as it was more efficient and I didn't have the right skills in a 3D program to make the animations retrospectively using my two fbx files, thanks for your insights