Search Unity

Games (PC) Jurassic Extinction (Released)

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by warthos3399, Jul 29, 2019.

1. warthos3399

warthos3399

While working on the UFPS controller optimization tonight, i noticed i had stutter when going down slopes or looking down while walking/running. In case anyone else runs into this, it has nothing to do with rigidbody gravity mass, its caused by a low Slope Limit setting in your Character Controller. Its set in degrees (30, 45, 90, etc.).

I needed to increase it to 180, as any slopes that are higher than your setting will cause stuttering. Example: If it is set to 45, and you try to go up or down a slope of say 90, it will stutter badly.

Tonights Update:
    • Slope stuttering is now gone and animation runs smooth (simple fix).
    • Adjusted most of the controller audio surface volumes (grass sound needs to be increased).
    • Added a dust effect on the feet when you walk/run.
    Wanted to pose a question for opinion: been working on the mini map for a few nights, got some decent results, but...do i really need to add a mini map? In real life if you were dropped on a island, you wouldnt have a mini map floating next to you, lol. I think not adding one will add to the realism and save on performance.

2. Darrkbeast

Darrkbeast

Great work, I like your use of the Emerald AI system and your world building. Keep up the great work.

warthos3399 likes this.
  3. Darrkbeast

Darrkbeast

You could use a mini map if say the player found a gps system or something. I tend to not use them if I am going for a realistic approach but I think it depends on your game. Like does it need it or can you relay the info needed for the player to get where they need to go. I always like the static map over mini maps, like the player finds or has a map and when you open it you can work out your location. But again its how the game feels with or with out it. If the player cant find his/her way easy and gets frustrated maybe your world is to large or complicated to navigate.

I personal would not use one, I like the challenge of finding my way plus I dont want to know where enemies are.

warthos3399 likes this.
  4. warthos3399

warthos3399

@Darrkbeast Thanks for the kind words, and i agree with you, i think going without the mini map is a better choice, as i think its better that players dont know where enemies are (element of surprise). Right now im kinda happy working on the gameplay phase, currently optimizing the UFPS controller, and setting up gameplay elements.

Best of luck to you and your project :)
    Warthos

5. warthos3399

warthos3399

Tonights work has gone well, finishing optimization on environment, and continued work on the controller:
    • Reduced Rocks texture down to 256.
    • Adjusted all textures for the UFPS controller (body, arms, head, etc.) and removed light
      probe and reflection probe support.
    • Weapon textures adjusted, and removed light probe and reflection probe support.
    • All grass textures reduced to 256.
    • All foliage textures reduced to 256.
    • All pick ups (health, weapons, ammo, etc.) optimized.
    This coming weekend ill be working on the controller, and think its time to get back to the dinos and work on turning animations, combat animations and audio.

I have started preliminary work on collision triggered audio (set up a collider, enable it as "trigger" and set up audio), i have 3 areas where if you or a dino enter, the ambient audio trails off (roll off) and stops. The ambient audio will be replaced by seperate audio clips (birds, insects, etc.). I may actually add in birds and small animals at a later date.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  6. warthos3399

warthos3399

On a side note: remember this video? I have done a little more work on them, you have to watch out, they are very dangerous, as when they dive back underground they regen health, and i have more plans for them, as even the plants are after you :)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    Stephen_O likes this.
  7. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I don't think I've seen any knock-back animations after enemies get shot, are you planning on adding them? That could really help improve the player feedback loop when shooting.

8. warthos3399

warthos3399

Leave it to you to notice that, lol (love it). Yes, my plan is once all combat and turning animations are set, ill be setting up knock back, AND hit animations/audio. EAI has a very good support with dealing with those (animation and sound). I can also set the "fleeing" aspect based on health.

So i can set up a dino to get hit (with knock back), then back off a certain distance, and re-engage said target. Now of course this will be set up for different size dinos, or situations. As a Raptor will act different than say a t-rex. Speed of attack, and duration (dependant on size/type) will matter. I can also set chase distance (how far it will pursue said target).

Stephen_O likes this.
  9. warthos3399

warthos3399

I caved in and started work on the dinos tonight, lol (i just couldnt resist). Ive added footstep sounds by animation events (tells the animation when/by time scale, to play a sound). Love EmeraldAI for this function (my chosen AI for all projects).

I can set the volume, the pitch, and any sound can be changed at any later date with 1 click. So better sounds will be added in later, but the base audio is in. All audio files need to be converted to .wav. Heres 2 short clips that show a medium sized dino sound, compared to a large sized dino sound:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    Antypodish and Stephen_O like this.
  10. warthos3399

warthos3399

Been working on the dinos alot, and probably will be for the next few nights:
    • All dino ground/footstep sounds added in.
    • Attack animations updated.
    • Ambience, and controller volume adjusted.
    • Attack distance and stopping distance adjusted.
    • Damage to player adjusted.
    • Ovi raptor scale increased.
    • Added sound effects to deadly plant.
    • Increased attack run speed on Sarcosuchus.
    Next up is attack sounds, animation speed adjustments. My view this morning, lol:

11. Antypodish

Antypodish

On the second vid at beginning what is apparent, I suggest do something with blue background in the forest. Feels unnatural :)

warthos3399 likes this.
  12. warthos3399

warthos3399

Thats the sky, as behind the trees is where the island ends :)

13. Antypodish

Antypodish

Ah, on worlds ends. Fair enough. So an edge of flat earth, allowing being kicked by dino into the void, of endless falling? :D

Have you imagine to see spinosaurus with hair, or even feathers? (just wondering :rolleyes:).
    If you would have some shader, that could be fun experiment I think. :)

Ah yes, walking plants. Lesson to do not mess with genetics. Thats official warning.
    Somehow reminds me Final Fantasy VII battles (in good way), with plant like mobs.

14. khos

khos

Looks good, maybe add camera shake with those massive footsteps, that would be a cool effect

warthos3399, Stephen_O and Antypodish like this.
  15. Antypodish

Antypodish

I think is good idea. But as long is relatively close. And not too much.
    Definitely need glass of water, for seismic detection, as part of inventory (Jurassic Park film anyone?). Well, plastic bottle with water will do.

warthos3399 and Stephen_O like this.
  16. warthos3399

warthos3399

@khos and @Antypodish agree with the camera shake (cool idea), but the water in the glass?....this is NOT jurassic park, lol.

Antypodish likes this.
  17. warthos3399

warthos3399

Ive been having too much fun lately, lol. The updates on the dinos is great, the way they act and the sounds they make, has worked out nice. Will only get even better as "hit" animations need to be added. The following video shows the new audio, and the "low health" fleeing effect, and slower death animation. Heres the update for tonight (courtasy of EmeraldAI):
    • Death animation speed decreased on all dinos.
    • Attack speed adjusted, per dino.
    • Run Attack animations added, per dino.
    • Attack biting sounds added.
    • Flee on low health, set up for all dinos (set at 20%).

18. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

That's really starting to come together. I wonder if a trex would flee though, I think it might fight until it's dead. I watched 'The Revenant' recently, there was a bear fight in it, that bear just kept attacking until it was dead.

warthos3399 likes this.
  19. warthos3399

warthos3399

Exactly, was showing that i can do it, and those were Carnotaurs not Trex (almost same scale/size), so now i have to set certain species, to that function. As bigger dinos wouldnt flee like that, or Raptor species (raptor, ovi-raptor, dilophosaur).

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    Stephen_O likes this.
  20. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Very cool, you actually just taught me what a Carnotaurus was! Will there be a log somewhere in the game that shows all the dinosaur names and images, like a bestiary?

warthos3399 likes this.
  21. warthos3399

warthos3399

Yes, ill have it ready before the weekend :)

22. warthos3399

warthos3399

Exciting news, im starting to dial in on the turning animations. I tried Spine Animator with no real useful results. So i used Tail Animator on the Spine bones, and it looked great, a deffinate improvement, with EAI i can refine it:

23. Antypodish

Antypodish

Some interesting stumping :)
    But definitely need few things.
    • Feet - Sound sync.
    • Sound volume to distance from dinos.
    • I think it maybe a bit too loud. Mind Elephants are quite big, but they don't stump much. However, for game effects, is nice to have such sounds. Mind, prat would ran away long time, before predator would see them :D

warthos3399 likes this.
  24. warthos3399

warthos3399

Nice points, yes i still need to re-visit audio, just havent had time yet (been on animation for 3 nights now, with great results :) ). I figure once all audio is in (alot more to add), then ill do a sweep and adjust them all at once.

Also found a PPE bug i fixed, was caused by Ambient Occlusion (would see faint horizontal lines looking down at a certain angle).

25. warthos3399

warthos3399

Theres a big debate going on in my head tonight, maybe some of you can comment on/feedback. Heres the debate:
    • After looking at my dino fact sheet (See Below), i now have 2 choices, go factual data and re-scale some dinos sizes, adjust speed, and behavior.
    • Or, keep it like it is, a vision, not factual/scientific.
    Ill post my sheet, as you can see the scale and speed of the dinos would need to be adjusted for scientific accuracy, and most can outrun a human/player:

Ankylosaurus
    Type: Herbavore.
    Behavior: Passive.
    Size: 25 ft long.
    Speed:5-10 mph.
    Note: Only attack if provoked.

Baryonyx
    Type: Carnivore.
    Behavior: Agressive.
    Size: 25-30 ft long.
    Speed: 25 mph.
    Note: Carnivore that mainly ate fish.

Brachiosaurus
    Size: 80 ft long.
    Speed: 10 mph.
    Note: Will not attack.

Carnotaurus
    Size: 30 ft long.
    Speed: 35 mph.
    Note: Binocular vision.

Compsognathus
    Size:3.5 ft long.
    Speed: 25 mph.
    Note: Very small, very Quick.

Dilophosaurus
    Behavior: Very Agressive.
    Size: 15-20 ft long.
    Speed: 20 mph.
    Note: Spits Poison.

Dimetrodon
    Size: 15 ft long.
    Speed: 10 mph
    Note: Colorful lizard.

Doalosaurus
    Size: 15 ft long.
    Speed: 30 mph.
    Note: 2 heads, fast.

Gastornis
    Size: 4 ft tall.
    Note: Flightless bird.

Gigantophis
    Size: 50 ft long.
    Note: Giant Snake.

Oviraptor
    Size: 8-10 ft long.
    Speed: 35 mph.
    Note: Colorful, feathered, raptor.

Pachycephalosaurus
    Size: 10 ft long.
    Speed: 15 mph.
    Note: Uses dome forhead for attacks.

Pteranodon
    Size: 18 ft wingspan.
    Speed: In-flight, no known.
    Note: Very strong.

Sarcosuchus
    Size: 35-40 ft long.
    Speed: 10 mph.
    Note: Giant crocodile.

Spinosaurus
    Size: 45-50 ft long.
    Speed: 15 mph.
    Note: Dangerous bite.

Stegosaurus
    Speed: 5 mph.
    Note: Only attack if provoked.

Triceratops
    Note: Slow, High damage horns.

Tyrannosaurus
    Size: 40 ft long.
    Note: Territorial.

Velociraptor
    Size: 8 ft long.
    Note: Deadly combination of speed/attack.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    Stephen_O likes this.
  26. warthos3399

warthos3399

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  27. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I think if you're using actual references, already have the data, and have the time to invest.. being as accurate as possible could be something that can give your game more of a boost with players/reviewer ratings. It's something tangible that you took the time to address. If it's something that's well presented and discover-able through the game-play, then that's something players can look forward to, maybe for some that could be the reason they continue playing (achievement and lore hunters). It could be cool to find researcher notes (or something) that are scattered around the island and added to a journal, which unlock stats/notes about each creature on the island and maybe shed light on weak spots, etc... I think there's good potential with this to connect with a player who's playing the game because they love dinosaurs.

I don't actually know how many dinosaur games exist, and how much accuracy they expand on this topic in those games.

Iterating on your initial vision is never bad (I think that's where the magic happens), the question is do you have the time budget and is it something that you want to do?

Antypodish and warthos3399 like this.
  28. warthos3399

warthos3399

@Stephen_O have to agree, and thnx for the input. Saw your post before heading out to work, so had all day to think it out. You make some good points.

Im going to follow my data sheet/beastiary. Wont take long to do the work, but i see 1 that might pose a challenge. Brachiosaurus: Size: 80 ft long, lol. Right now their scale is around 30-40, now i have to double it, damn.

The other good point is having the beastiary set up adds alot and opens more options. Time to go play with the dinos :)

Stephen_O and Antypodish like this.
  29. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I'm imagining how cool it would be to stumble across that giant.

warthos3399 likes this.
  30. warthos3399

warthos3399

The weekend begins, tonight i worked on the re-scale and speed adjustments per data sheet/beastiary. Went better than expected. 90% of the dinos, i had the scale correct, lol. I only had to change scale for a few dinos.

Speed adjustments went just as good, only had to adjust a few dinos. Noteably, T-Rex, i had the size wrong, scale decreased, and they were much faster, speed increased.

Everything worked out great!. So my initial scale set up was damn close, speed, not so much, but all set now :)
    @Stephen_O I walked by one tonight....wow!. This is what i saw:

skinwalker and Stephen_O like this.
  31. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

That looks sweet.. he's huge!

warthos3399 likes this.
  32. warthos3399

warthos3399

Sorry for late update, with christmas and all, RL has been demanding, lol. Let me say...Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, or what ever you celebrate... :)

Theres been a few changes. Default rendering is now Deferred (i know, no AA, etc., dont worry i got it covered). In convos with other devs (not from Unity) alot are going that route, so wanted to try it out. Also quite a few big game studios lately are going deferred rendering. Lets see what i can do with it.

This vid i just shot, its with deferred rendering and adjustments to that path (as not everything works with deferred, specially shadow support/PPE). I noticed a FPS boost (to be expected) due to lower draw calls. Been working on particle effects, and dinos, so watching to see how it works:

Stephen_O likes this.
  33. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Looking good, and thanks for the mention in video :)

Also, I loved the double squawk @ 0:47 !

warthos3399 likes this.
  34. warthos3399

warthos3399

Just wanted to share some cool info. The video below is a yeti type creature im working on for another project. Had some time to kill, so i threw him into a copy version/server of JE, set him up in EmeraldAI, to see how hes going to look in a finished environment.

Not bad for a modified version of a store bought assset (all textures, materials, etc. modded). I bought him mostly for the animations (30 overall, including strafe, etc.):

skinwalker and Stephen_O like this.
  35. skinwalker

skinwalker

Merry Christmas!

Just wanted to ask if you are using instanced indirect for the trees and grass, if not then you should and see the performance difference (if you are still looking for ways to optimize). The requirement is shader support but if you are using the standard it already has an option called GPU Instanced.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  36. warthos3399

warthos3399

Yes i am, all are set up for GPU Instance, i use the standard shader, and a few others :)

Just got home, think its time to add the deadly fish to the waters, and delete the place holders, should be fun :)

37. warthos3399

warthos3399

Sorry guys, been working so much, forgot to post an update, lol.
    • Added deadly fish Xenacanthus.
    • Blood particle effects finished on all dinos.
    • Steg to only attack when provoked.
    Currently working on UI, better video/SS quality, logo's etc. Back-end stuff that takes time. Xenacanthus (early shark), doesnt want to behave with EAI, so will be a bit before they are completely set up. Video/SS to follow this weekend.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  38. warthos3399

warthos3399

Hey guys, heres the most recent video of work on the UI. Menu is set up nicely, just have to add the functions/calls. Next i need to get a "theme" type music for the game:

Stephen_O, Antypodish and khos like this.
  39. warthos3399

warthos3399

1st encounter on the island footage, with new UI changes: studio logo updated, splash screen updated with blood spatter, etc. Using forward rendering on UI (loading screen/main menu), as its a seperate scene.

Stephen_O likes this.
  40. Antypodish

Antypodish

Happy New Year 2020 :)

I think this is little thing that may be interesting to you @warthos3399
    Setting up procedural dragon animations in two minutes! (Spine Animator)

https://www.reddit.com/r/unity_tuto...tting_up_procedural_dragon_animations_in_two/

I don't know much details, just found it by accident, when passing by some posts. :)

Linking also direct their youtube channel, just in case, even tho, the link is inside the reddit discussion as well.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/FImpossibleCreations

Stephen_O likes this.
  41. warthos3399

warthos3399

@jasperbrooks79 Yea ive seen it, great system for certain applications. Good to see you, hope your having fun bro :)

@Antypodish yea, ive seen that more than once, and that might be the answer for the big bodied dinos, but not for the small ones. Ill spend some time implimenting/testing that and see how it works out :)

Update info:
    • Xenacanthus is mostly set up now.
    • Testing different GUI for functionality.
    • Script clean-up done.
    • Re-test of materials/verts/mesh, came out nice.
    Optimization phase has gone well, game performs great, so ive moved on to the "front end" type dev work (GUI/audio). I will try a Pegasus Fly-through this coming weekend, as the game is ready for it.

Antypodish likes this.
  42. Deckard_89

Deckard_89

Nice, this time-travel idea reminds me of Dino Crisis.

warthos3399 likes this.
  43. warthos3399

warthos3399

Added in the Weapon Wheel, so now the player has 2 choices. You can change weapons by Q and E, or the weapon wheel. Ill be working on the pause and load/save menus today, and the whole GUI should be optimized by the weekend. Im staying with mostly deferred cameras except where forward is needed (transparency).

This weekend ill be tackling the beastiary function, will probably end up custom coding it in, we will see. Heres a vid of the weapon wheel:

44. warthos3399

warthos3399

Yes, a beta demo is coming soon, will take a bit to set up, as there are no levels, as its an open world scene. Ive been working on video cut scenes on the side (CinemaDirector), roughing out ideas.

Currently working on getting as much of the GUI done as possible, before moving on to gameplay elements (drops, cut scenes, story line).

Stephen_O and Antypodish like this.
  45. warthos3399

warthos3399

Heya guys, wanted to show you a new GUI ive been working on (on the side). The big thing is it allows alot more info for the player (beastiary, hints and tips, credits, etc.), and has a good style. Looking for feedback on which GUI is liked more, easy main menu, or this new one frostui.

Antypodish, Stephen_O and khos like this.
  46. warthos3399

warthos3399

Also wanted to add, Save System for UFPS will be added in this weekend, regardless of which GUI i use. It also integrates with EAI nicely. Save points and re-spawn points (after death) will need to be set-up.

47. khos

khos

The GUI looks nice! Did you use an asset to help create it? is it called EAI ? Cheers.

warthos3399 likes this.
  48. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I like it, the menu has clean layout, only thing that stands out to me is the images in beastiary seem too dark. One thing I noticed is spelling of beastiary, I guess that's up for debate.

warthos3399 likes this.
  49. warthos3399

warthos3399

Thnx Steve, yea those pics are just placeholders, and they also need to be bigger. Lovin the clean layout. and the spelling im going to keep it beastiary, where im from you dont call a animal a best, its a beast :)

@khos thnx, its a heavily modified version of FrostUI. Sorry about the confusion, EAI is Emerald AI. Things have worked out great with EAI and UFPS, probably be using them both in all my projects :)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    khos and Stephen_O like this.
  50. warthos3399

warthos3399

OK, some great news, ive decided on the most recent UI (FrostUI as a base), much more professional/clean, and informative. I also have some great "theme music" added in, and i know you guys will love it. This weekend will be UI work, audio work, and Save System for UFPS.

Goal is to get save-game functions in place, and round out the UI. Yes, im also going to be setting up a Beta Demo. Details to follow. :)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Stephen_O likes this.