Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games (PC) Jurassic Extinction (Released)

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by warthos3399, Jul 29, 2019.

1. warthos3399

warthos3399

Heres a in game run through 2 areas to show the state of the game. Trees/plants scaled, terraces/rocks added, and new water added (Aquas). Youll see trics, guards, brachys and plesiosaur:

2. warthos3399

warthos3399

Additional work done tonight:
    • New weapons added, shotgun and assault rifle, adjusted textures for them.
    • Underwater effects started, caustics, color, bubbles, wet lenz effect, etc.
    • 3D sound adjusted for certain dinos (dependant on size and distance).
    Just a side note: im only 5 months into the project at this point, so im WAY ahead of schedule, if you check, my 1st post of the project was in may. A project of this scope and size is usually 1 year, so i have plenty of time to add in features, gameplay and etc. Theres alot planned and will be implimented, Im very happy with the progress (see above video). If anyone has opinions or suggestions PLEASE let me know, im ASKING FOR FEEDBACK. This coming week will mostly be on spine animations to the dinos, and setting up the waterfall area.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  3. warthos3399

warthos3399

Still here, just been busy working on the game, scaling trees/foliage, adjusting audio, UI elements, splash screen set up, and animation. Its looking great!. Had some time to update the foliage at the Operation Center, had fun setting it up:

4. warthos3399

warthos3399

Heres a run through the operations center/area. Not finished (inside), but looking good, all trees/foliage scaled outside, basic lighting inside. Lighting and screenshots for monitors need updating. The "big man" Omar Khoury is there (if you follow the storyline), still needs some animation work:

5. warthos3399

warthos3399

Sorry for the late update (the weekend from hell, lol). Heres the update info:
    • 80% of the tree/foliage re-scale is done, and looking awesome, has a different atmosphere/"feel" now.
    • Pick-up items added (med packs, weapons, ammo) to the crates in the towers and operations center (theres 2).
    • Fog and water adjustments.
    • Changed: Environment Lighting/Source/ to Gradient, as it adds a bit of depth to light and shadows. Temporary as next phase im using Aura2 for lighting :)
    • Rendering Path is now Deferred, by default.
    Tried setting the Rendering "Color Space" (default is Gamma), to Linear (which is supposed to help/improve with the rendering), but when i use it, of course, now effects my fog (now linear fog, lol). By the time i re-adjust the fog, the rest of the scene doesnt look so good. But will be fixed when i add in Aura2 or any good lighting system, as im keeping systems seperate (lighting, clouds, water, and fog) for control reasons. Heres a shot of the Steg area done over, check out the shadow on the tree, in-game looks great, and those are "soft shadows", on hard shadows, looks awesome, but too much demand i fear, heh:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  6. warthos3399

warthos3399

I wanted to throw an idea out there...

Id like to start posting more details about what i do and the process of making JE, as maybe if i do, i could possibly help someone else, be it settings, scripting, textures, systems, models, AI, or something i encountered, by seeing/hearing what i go through and experience.

Thoughts?

khos likes this.
  7. warthos3399

warthos3399

I was just asked a question:

"Where do you get your models? Store?, or do you make them. How do you get that look"?

Honest answer:
    • Most, not all, are JP Assets off the store...great models, good animations, textures...not so much. I mod the texture to suit my needs in Gimp (color/hue, and sharpness, etc.). JP models dont have a good "mouth" color/hue, so you have to mod that, and the basic texture lacks detail (sharpening). Lighting/rendering/PPE settings will top them off, (once texture mods have been made). Others are my own, Blender is my main modeling prog. Unity (in-editor) modeling aint bad either, lol.
    • No matter your project type (2d,/3d), ALWAYS tailor your textures to your over-all "style/look" (color/hue, etc.). Dont import something and say "it looks good enough". No its not...
    • Animations: pick models that have the animations you need (dont worry about the texture/"look"), the rest are "bonus".
    • AI: pick a AI plug-in/system that fits the type of animation needed, and check integration with what ever player-controller your going to use (UFPS, RFPS, Etc.).
    • Make sure to "GPU Instance" their material.
    • DO NOT use mesh colliders when possible. Use simple colliders (box, cone, sphere, etc.). Less demand on CPU/GPU cycles/calls.etc.
    • LOD, is a must, set accordingly.
    Your "base" (project , camera, and lighting) settings, (HDR/MSAA, etc), will dictate alot., as well as your PPE, if it doesnt create more probs, Unitys PPE, is touchy, and is buggy. Your rendering choice (forward or deferred), also factors in. Forward for IOS/Web based, and Deferred for Desktop/Console.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  8. Antypodish

Antypodish

Nice progress in general.

From what you presented recently, few thoughts.
    I observe some lags in recent video.
    What is your FPS counter?
    Can you record with stats enabled?
    How game behaves in build? Did you try yet?

The first moment I listened to environment sounds, it have great impression.
    However, here what need to be careful, not to make it boring. If playing too much looping sounds, it will get boring.
    So of course some variations are needed. Some changes when and what sounds are played.
    Worth to look into Withcher3 concept, if I haven't mentioned already, where environment sounds changes, depending on situation, day time, location etc. For example, when birds gets silent. That may be sign of something coming. Or maybe sound of birds run away in flocks (at least sounds, if no visuals). Minor details, but add to climate, while reduces sounds boredom.

That is for now.
    Other than that, keep up ;)

warthos3399 likes this.
  9. khos

khos

Agreed! For the audio topic, I used a similar concept in a game,you can setup a collider system in your scene, so if dinos are in that area , or getting close to you then different sounds play/fade in/out. Sound plays a big part in games, not just graphics/gameplay.

warthos3399 likes this.
  10. khos

khos

Yes, if you want to share that is always good to see, people can learn from other experiences.
    Idea: What might be nice eventually, is a co-op / multiplayer option for your game.
    Open world type games are huge tasks to take on... from my experience anyway, took my over 2 years to finish my project!

warthos3399 likes this.
  11. warthos3399

warthos3399

@Antypodish might just be the video, as i build and run (build size is 1.5 gig), alot, and havent noticed any lags. Not only that, i havent set up Occlusion Culling yet, and a few other things.

@khos was thinkin of that same co-op/multi myself, but id have to use totally different systems for that.

I agree with both of you, sound is a big thing in the game, and is going to take a bit to get done. I havent got to that phase yet, so ive just added in basics for now. The collision triggers is a good idea, it would work for alot of things. I probably should start that phase soon, maybe this weekend.

12. warthos3399

warthos3399

While doing some Optimization tonight, i thought of the high counts of Tri's in profiler, so what ive done is a mesh poly count reduction.

Im using Mesh Simplify, and at a 50% reduction, the tri count has come WAY down. Less GPU stress. Ive been optimizing as i go along, but tonight i was just in the mood to really look at it all in profiler, and start "cutting" for the sake of performance. Things look good, but could be better.

This weekends work will be on optimization (not that its bad, just always want more, lol), and possibly lighting. Theres so many ways to optimize, its crazy. Poly reduction, texture atlas, culling, pooling, LODs, instancing, mip maps, batching, baking, etc. Should be fun :)

13. warthos3399

warthos3399

This coming weekend will be a busy one with optimization:
    • Occlusion Culling must be set up.
    • Poly/tri count reduction implimented.
    • Unknown reflective probe found and removed.
    Results will follow...

14. warthos3399

warthos3399

Optimization is going very good. No video yet, but will post one this weekend. Heres the current update:
    • Poly reduction is done, Tris have dropped significantly, (from 12 Mil to 4 Mil).
    • Occlusion Culling set up and working great.
    • Scaling trees/plants now at 90%, one small area to finish.
    • Performance is with-in spec (fps is 40-60) still needs more tweaking.
    Id like to get optimization mostly done, as audio/sound is the next big phase (converting all sound files to .OGG/Vorbis, etc.), so this weekend will be devoted to that, and ive laid out plans for it already (collision triggers, etc.).

P.S. one thing ive learned from this, when setting up a game, when you import/set-up your models, do your poly-reduction and material instancing/settings right away, saves time. :)

15. warthos3399

warthos3399

One more thing (only posted here), theres a reason for the title of the game...Jurassic Extinction...ill let the "cat out of the bag" for you guys....once the player completes the mission...its over, and i mean over. A giant meteor will come in and cause an extinction event....

You cant play god and bring back a species that was selected for extinction in the 1st place, as a higher power/nature will make a correction for this.

The few that know, said i should submit this "end to the series senario" to Universal Studios, well im sure they have their own ideas....but i also have mine :)

16. warthos3399

warthos3399

I refer to this https://www.kinematicsoup.com/news/2016/8/9/rrypp5tkubynjwxhxjzd42s3o034o8 post, that ive been studying/testing for the last few hours. Not only interresting, but taught me a bit of Unitys core.
    Once i have the scripts and function set up, ill impliment it into JE. (i have 2 copies or test servers of the game), (i always test things before adding it into the proper version).
    Update: ive done so much work in the last 48 hrs, that i dont know if i can remember it all, lol.
    • Re-scaling almost at 100%.
    • Poly/Tri reduction to dinos applied, without loss of detail.
    • Poly/Tri reduction to all rocks applied with great results, no loss of detail.
    • Dino detection zones adjusted.
    • Underwater caustics/camera/FX, etc. added in, still needs adjustment.
    • Started blood particle effect adjustment for dinos (offset is different, due to size).
    SS at the center of the island after some optimization:

Good to see Tris down to 4.7 Mil, Ill post video tomorrow night :)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  17. warthos3399

warthos3399

Started on damage and attack animations tonight. Heres a fight between me and a Dilophosaur, just have to add in the attack sounds, looking good, yes he kills me, lol. (WIP):

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    khos and Antypodish like this.
  18. warthos3399

warthos3399

Tonights work showed me just how versatile Emerald AI/UFPS is. At first some dinos (the bigger ones, due to their size/height) would attack but do no damage.

Their "attack distance" was set too low by default in EAI. Adjusting the attack distance brought them closer to me (the player) as well as their attack animation, now they were doing damage, and by using attack animation events, i could adjust exactly where the animation/damage would hit.

EAI lets you set ALOT of parameters, use it with UFPS and you have a killer combo, as UFPS has an insane amount of functionality. One look at the documentation and youll be sold right away. But setting up UFPS fully will be a whole phase by itself, lol.

I did have one strange/bad encounter with the Spinosaurus, he doesnt take any damage at all. Ive checked all tags, layers, EAI settings, attached scripts, and UFPS settings, and hes the ONLY one who wont take damage. After investigation it has to just be a bug, as he took damage previously (on older versions), settings are good, and the model/animation checks out good. Not really a prob, as i can just profile him (EAI again saves the day), delete him, re-import/re-texture and set up easy.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  19. warthos3399

warthos3399

No big update for tonight, as i want to finish the last 10% of the foliage re-scale so it will be 100% done. After that we can continue work on audio/sound, and i have some great ideas worked out, just a matter of implimentation.

*Update* all foliage for the entire island is 100% finished!. Ive started on collision trigger zones for audio/sound, so far working great. More to follow :)

Ive tested the Update and FixedUpdate fix (see above linked article) on the test server/version and so far is working nicely, need to adjust and test a bit more before adding it into JE proper.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  20. warthos3399

warthos3399

Exciting news...before i decided to use Unity as my main game engine for indie dev, i was a Dev involved in server emulation, for projects like MagicBane, a Shadowbane (Ubisoft title with great success) and Darkfall, server emulators.

Ive been in talks with some of the team from MagicBane, and they are ready for a new game, a new direction. Now...Unity and its Unet/Mirror networking code (most importantly, backend) to me is far better than the other option (UE4), not to mention the system requirements. I know what your all thinking "thats alot to take on, forget it", but remember, this project will have a team, not doing this alone. I have a team willing to join the project, great devs with experience in C++/C# and networking code.

Now..Jurassic Extinction is my baby, and is priority, they understand that until JE goes into release, i wont be starting anything up. But i can tell you..a heavily modified version of uMMORPG will be my base. By the time JE is released (im only 6 months in) uMMORPG will be developed enough to use as a base. The game will be a cross between shadowbane and darkfall. This is just to fill you in on what Enigmatic Games future may be.

21. warthos3399

warthos3399

Just a question or "food for thought", why are people/devs using non-LTS builds of Unity in projects?...we all know LTS builds are the best choice for projects, as stated "Long Term Support" is best, less bugs and updates to introduce further bugs...lol

22. skinwalker

skinwalker

Im personally too lazy to upgrade, doing monthly releases and upgrading takes me 1 full day, so I only upgrade when there is some feature that I really need (once a year).

warthos3399 likes this.
  23. khos

khos

Who is using non-TLS builds?
    Unity release so many new versions (drop support for older features on the way, it can be frustrating), especially with a large project. I use 2017 (is that what you class as non-LTS?) as I worry that upgrading to a newer build that it will cause many new headaches e.g. unsupported assets, I speak from bad experiences, which adds SOOO much time to the release. If I upgrade I would first finish my game, release it, then maybe go to a newer Unity version.

warthos3399 likes this.
  24. khos

khos

Cool, I have often wondered about that, and how you get in touch with other devs.. I wonder what a partnership like that entails, contracts? how profits are split, you are brave to go that way, have you tried to make a business type plan to see if you will make money etc? Just curious.

warthos3399 likes this.
  25. Antypodish

Antypodish

Some people does.
    Many new devs use latest as they think is right choice. Then need them to steer down, into LTS.
    But there are case, when people need genuinely new Unity features. For example DOTS, like myself.
    There is higher risk involved sure, but If all is taken into account, all can workout.
    Some people are perfectly fine using beta, or even alpha, or in preview packages for their in production project.

@warthos3399 just make sure, whatever you decide to do with others, you got solid contract on the table, covering all elements and situation, when something goes wrong and astray. Also, to protect either side. Don't just let run random people with dirty shoes into you house.

If you follow forum threads, you may had have read recent dispute between two devs., on their common project.

warthos3399 likes this.
  26. warthos3399

warthos3399

@khos if i do decide to do so, the set up of buisness plan and profit division wouldnt be hard, as all of us have worked together before. I think dealing with publishers and promotion would be more of a pain. We all talk/stay in touch on Discord alot, for years.

One in particular is my buddy Papah (aka Olga), hes currently on the MagicBane team, but he wants to move on, as the Arcane Engine used to develop Shadowbane is a 25 year old engine, and cant do much with it now.

@Antypodish i agree with you on the LTS subject, specially new people, they tend to always upgrade with every new version that comes out (not good).

And yes we all agreed that if we do decide to start the project, legal contracts will be done, or i wouldnt go forward., as you can know people for many years, and still something may happen.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  27. warthos3399

warthos3399

Tonights work:
    • Had a problem with Spinosarus not taking damage, fixed.
    • Set up collision trigger zones for audio/sound prep, birds/atmospheric sounds will fade/stop when player or dino enters zone.
    • Converted all .wav and .mp3 audio files to .ogg (vorbis).
    • Splash screen set up with Enigmatic Games logo.
    • Test builds of the game so far are 1.6 gig, not bad, for a game this size.
    I should be ready for audio/sound work this coming weekend, prep is already started. Another thing on my mind (that maybe some of you can help with) is "theme music" for the game. Ive been looking around a bit, but just havent found anything suitable for JE as of yet.

28. warthos3399

warthos3399

Tomorrow night ill be posting a "fly through" video of the island in its current state, im using Pegasus. Now keep in mind any lag or stutter you may see is caused by Pegasus, great asset but not without its fallbacks, ill explain more tomorrow night :)

29. warthos3399

warthos3399

Pegasus is good but performance lacks, seems to be a integration prob with occusion culling. Couldnt upload the whole fly through (too big a file), so heres a few clips, not my real fog, framerate not too good, (had to use different camera) but good enough to show the currect state of the game. This weekend will be audio/sound for sure, as we are now getting into the "backend" of the game (UI, audio/sound, gameplay, etc.):

30. Skyfall106

Skyfall106

Dude, trust me, try some post-processing to make the game look better for screenshots and videos and reformat it later, also, setup your YouTube channel as well as you can. You want people to find it in youtube so fromat your titles well, descriptions, tags, your channel, thumbnails etc. Trust me itll pay off

warthos3399 likes this.
  31. warthos3399

warthos3399

Thnx for the great tip bro :) I have some PPE already, but havent had time to add it in on a final level. Lighting (light shafts, etc.) are planned for the next phase (using Aura2), but your right, i really havent set up the youtube channel correctly/fully, will get that done this weekend :)

32. warthos3399

warthos3399

Spent tonight adding in post processing effects. Right now ive added Ambient Occlusion, Bloom, and Motion Blur. Looks good, but i notice if i enable my fog (distance/height fog) it kinda kills the ambient occlusion to a degree. I have 3 choices:
    • Dont add fog.
    • Use a ground fog.
    • Use the fog in Aura2 once added in (my lighting solution).
    This video is PPE without fog enabled, ill do some testing to see what im going to do with fog, it kinda looks better without it, ive also adjusted shadows a bit, looks alot better, opinions VERY welcome:

33. warthos3399

warthos3399

Alot of work done tonight:
    • 1st round of audio/sound done.
    • Fog added back in/adjusted.
    • Sun shafts added, still needs more adjustment.
    The rest of this weekend will be PPE and audio/sound. This coming week i need to get the YouTube channel all completely set up. Ive also started preliminary work on the game ending. Heres a short vid of whats new:

34. warthos3399

warthos3399

Ya know, its been a long road for me, ive been a avid game player all my life, i got into game development for 1 reason, to give back to the community that has givin me so much. I grew up loving and playing games like Phantasy Star Online (which i hacked, by hex editing), Shadowbane (where i got involved in server emulation), and Darkfall (my 1st taste of true C++ coding), and console emulation (where i authored 1964, a N64 emulator).

Gaming is my life and true love. Its now that i decided to Dev something to give back, and i chose Unity as my platform. I learn and grow stronger/more knowlegeable every day, its an adventure, like playing the games i love/grew up on.

Please forgive me if i seem like a noob to Unity/community. I am doing my best to learn and progress, its been fun and a break-through experience for me, and im not looking back.

Jurassic Extinction, success or fail, is something i must do. Its a growing pain i must endure, like the rest of us all with our projects.

Ill be here till my last dying breath, giving my all, and hopefully i can help someone else in their quest to do the same...

Antypodish, Skyfall106 and Deckard_89 like this.
  35. Skyfall106

Skyfall106

Your PPE looks really good, don' forget to add Anti-Aliasing too, will help a lot!!

warthos3399 likes this.
  36. warthos3399

warthos3399

Update vid with, PPE, FXAA, and audio adjustments to dinos, looking damn good!

37. khos

khos

My 0.2 cent, way too much sun shafts. Have you tried using aura?

warthos3399 likes this.
  38. warthos3399

warthos3399

Yea, i just got them in, just needs adjustment. Been busy with audio, should have them adjusted in the next few days. I tried aura2, but i only needed sun shafts, so why import the whole package just for 1 thing, lol

39. warthos3399

warthos3399

Tonights update:
    • Adjusted sun shafts (blur radius and intensity).
    • Added fish to the waters (Plesiosaur has to eat something, lol).
    • 3D sound is now finished for all dinos (rolloff, distance, and volume).
    • Changed animations for Pteranodons (only combat left).
    • Adjusted movement blur, decreased.
    • Started adjusting quality settings/graphic settings for targeted tiers (low, medium, and high end machines/PCs).
    Next up will be collision trigger zones for ambient/bird type sounds. When player or dino enters an area ambient sound will stop/fade. Great suggestion by @Antypodish and @khos.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Antypodish likes this.
  40. warthos3399

warthos3399

I had to get back to work on the dinos, its been on my mind alot, as they need alot of work. After all, theyre the stars of the show :) Tonight i worked on the Plesiosaur:
    • Full re-texture, including, mouth, tongue, teeth, and full body.
    • Full re-work of animation. The flipper-to body animation/speed ratio, idle and movement animation speed/type adjusted.
    • Re-work of Waypoints.
    Heres a SS of the new texture re-do:

And heres a video, note the changes, its neck flexes on turns, etc. Love the way it came out:

41. Antypodish

Antypodish

Eh I expected to see actually Pegasus :)

warthos3399 likes this.
  42. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

@warthos3399 I wanted to take a moment to jump in and say hi, the project is looking interesting so far, it's really come a long way.

If I were to give a piece of feedback, it would be that I noticed there doesn't seem to be much if any dialogue and player interaction areas yet. I'm curious if you have plans to use anything specific for these interactions. I wrote a dialogue systems a while back and it's fairly simple to use, also powerful, it's what I'm using for my project. You can trigger dialogue by script or inspector settings, let me know if you want it and I can donate to the cause!

warthos3399 and Antypodish like this.
  43. warthos3399

warthos3399

Glad you asked..my dialogue will be cut-scene based, intro is "your a para-military officer, helicopter flight in, on the way your are de-briefed as to the situation, and dropped off". I prefer the cutscene based interaction, but dialogue does play a part :) As i want a "type on screen/captioning" type effect with the cutscenes.

Thnx for the offer, as i like the systems you have developed :) Ill keep it in mind, as that "phase" (GUI/Cutscenes/Dialogue), will be coming soon. Right now working more on Dinos (look/textures, animation/movement).

Thnx for the feedback and offer, best of luck to your project, love checking it out and seeing the progress :)

Stephen_O likes this.
  44. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I figured you had something in mind, I'm looking forward to it.

warthos3399 likes this.
  45. warthos3399

warthos3399

While working on the dinos tonight, which is going awesome alot of changes/improvements, i was starting work on the Carnotaurs and i wanted to show a different SS. This is a fullscreen unity screen shot of what my view is, for 8 hrs a night through the week, and 16 hrs on weekends, lol:

Stephen_O likes this.
  46. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I give you a lot of credit, my eyes would go numb.. Unity should really try to save human eyes from unnecessary pain and give dark mode by default.

warthos3399 likes this.
  47. warthos3399

warthos3399

Wanted to show the current scene with lots of changes:
    • Fog that rolls off the surface of water adjusted.
    • All dinos have been texture adjusted (custom work like tougue, teeth, horns, sharpening for detail), waypoints and animations adjusted.
    • Sunshafts scaled back.
    • Some dino textures were marked as "use crunch compression", not good, Fixed.
    I like how its looking...

Stephen_O likes this.
  48. warthos3399

warthos3399

What i do with models at this stage is:
    • Check all dino textures for compression import, materials for gpu instancing. Load texture into Gimp, adjust color/hue, mod selected areas, then sharpen for detail. I export texture but i dont close Gimp, so if i dont like the result, i can undo it if needed.
    • Animations: adjust the movement animation to the actual speed of the dino, so walking animation is in sync (skating effect, if set wrong). EmeraldAI has alot of options on animation, including navmesh support, so i can dial it in just right.
    • I use "Mesh Simplifier" a great asset to knock down Tris of any mesh, i make sure it doesnt hurt the LOD of the model/texture, as its lower Tris.
    • Audio has been set for all dinos, wasnt fun, lol. I had to test 1 dino, back away and judge the distance of roll off and where it ends, then apply same settings to same species. The Curve Graph was a great asset, can do alot with it for fine-tuning 3d sound.
    EmeraldAI really is the best asset for AI, ive tried alot of AI assets, but found my permanent for all AI. So many times working on JE, if i didnt have EAI, i wouldnt have been able to "get it done" because EAI gives you ALOT of control, and we all love that, :)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Stephen_O likes this.
  49. skinwalker

skinwalker

It already looks a lot better, what Id suggest is to use Beautify + something like Amplify Color Effect, you will see a lot of difference in the colors

warthos3399 likes this.
  50. warthos3399

warthos3399

I agree, ive been eyeing those 2 assets, just have to check them out more and see which one fits best, thnx again bro :)