Search Unity

Games (PC) Jurassic Extinction (Released)

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by warthos3399, Jul 29, 2019.

1. warthos3399

warthos3399

As promised...volumetric clouds, base grass is taller/adjusted (height, wave, magnitude, etc), and wind is now added:

2. warthos3399

warthos3399

Work is progressing but slowly, as Plants are giving me a problem, as i need tropical plants that will be effected by wind.

So far, all plant models available, do NOT react or comply to wind (script base or otherwise). At this point i will buy any tropical plant models that are effected by wind, but theres not much available out there. Been a long night (testing models, scripts). Id really like LOD models, but will see what i can come up with tomorrow...As i just cant have only trees effected by wind and not my plants...

3. Antypodish

Antypodish

May not be easy solution, but may be something to look at shaders, to render wind effect of plants.

warthos3399 likes this.
  4. khos

khos

Dude, simple, just get BaldingBoy's tropical asset, his stuff works like a dream! I can honestly say as I used them in my game (archeologyX) and you can add wind to my recollection https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/tropical-forest-pack-49391

warthos3399 likes this.
  5. Antypodish

Antypodish

Looks like nice asset. Personally I would dig a bit more, to see what else is available. But pricing and wind features are looking good.

6. khos

khos

If there is anything better I would be very interested to know too :)

7. warthos3399

warthos3399

Thnx guys, yea ive had a good look around, but i like the Tropical Forest Pack, alot of functionality, and right now i dont see anything better, or as good as it. I really like the deferred rendering, post-processing effects support, and shaders look great.

Buying it right now, then take it for a test spin and see how it goes :)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  8. warthos3399

warthos3399

We have a winner! After extended research and testing... Tropical Forest Pack wins!. Tested it tonight and the models, textures, wind effects, and performance, work out fantastic, big thnx to @khos for the info.

The asset(s) is real easy to set up, drag and drop, then add the CTI script to your Wind Zone, and Bam!, all set. Now, once i add in post processing stack/effects, the whole game will look insanely great :) Im very happy with it, as it looks AAA like the rest of the game, and functionality is great.

Video will follow tomorrow night, cant wait to get home and start planting. As once plants and taller grass is added, then i can go into the "gameplay phase", which ive been waiting a long time for (UFPS).

@Antypodish , now that the actual game logo is done...im still struggling with the logo for Khoury Gentetics. Used your idea with the K being a chromasone, which looks cool, but something is missing or dont look right. Dont know if its the font i use or color as a base or what, but i just cant get what im looking for.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  9. Antypodish

Antypodish

This is last thing I recall, in terms of that KG company logo.
    Did you do other iterations? Or with full name included?

warthos3399 likes this.
  10. Antypodish

Antypodish

Try this.
    Post again here original full logo with name of company.
    Then try Incorporate that K into that first. See if it fits. Then you may see, why doesn't feel right, if that the case.

If that makes sense?

warthos3399 likes this.
  11. warthos3399

warthos3399

Took a break from planting, and whipped this up from your suggestion :)

12. warthos3399

warthos3399

Update video will be delayed till tomorrow night, as things are looking/going better than expected!.

It will be worth the wait, i stumbled onto something tonight that improves the environment greatly, and i must finish it. Heres a pic of the new level of grass being added before i place the plants. Still needs a tweak of color and final height, but going to get it done, then add the plants to top off. With plants and wind, its going to look sick :)

13. warthos3399

warthos3399

As promised, the higher grass has been added (still needs hue/color adjustment), some plants added, and they look great!, im sure ill be adjusting the plants. Will be working on plants and grass all weekend. We are getting closer to Gameplay Phase. So heres the new vid showing progress:

14. Antypodish

Antypodish

Do you have original logo for comparison?
    Probably is not something worth to spend much time on it. But since we are on it ...
    Genetics is too blue for me. Or at least not enough distinction from K. Colors between K and Genetics almost merging together, which is not good. Maybe white/contrast border would help around GENETICS letters. Not sure. Something doesn't feel right.

warthos3399 likes this.
  15. jbb1979

jbb1979

You're a Master, This Game is Great - - Make it . .

warthos3399 likes this.
  16. warthos3399

warthos3399

Just a quick SS, higher grass color adjusted, damn its looking good :)

Antypodish likes this.
  17. warthos3399

warthos3399

This will be your ride to the island :)

18. warthos3399

warthos3399

Higher grass color adjusted, plants placed, heres a video of the current progress for this weekend...looking great! A run through 3 areas:

Skyfall106 likes this.
  19. warthos3399

warthos3399

Busy weekend, but shaping up nicely:
    • Fog added (still needs work).
    • Ambient Sounds added.
    • 75% of all foliage/plants done (only 2 areas left).
    • Non-Combat animation tweaks to dinos.
    Starting to get the look i was aiming for :)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    Antypodish likes this.
  20. warthos3399

warthos3399

Upcoming for this week will be:
    • Fog adjustments (density, intensity, etc.).
    • Finish plants in the remaining areas.
    • Lighting (oh joy, lol)
    • Decrease in assets (textures per model, effects, etc.) basicly anything i can do without, as less is better.
    • Pre-Gameplay prep, set up UFPS controller with camera effects (fog, etc.).
    Just a FYI for other aspiring Devs out there, Big Shout Out to Enviro - Sky and Weather!, as its what im using for fog and lighting, great job with the asset, dont hesitate to pick it up, performance, and utility are just great. Tried Aura 2, but the performance hit was just too great for this project, but still a top notch asset.

21. Skyfall106

Skyfall106

The fog is a little bit too thick.

Also, what software do you use to make your 3d models and texture them?

warthos3399 likes this.
  22. warthos3399

warthos3399

The above video is actually "out of date" already, lol. I just made a "run of the island" with the new fog and looks great (density/intensity all adjusted).

My main model prog is Blender, i have 3DSMax, but like Blender better, guess im just more used to it. Also Gimp is what i use for textures (Albedo, Normal, Specular, etc.)

Currently working on the logo for Khoury Genetics...been a thorn in my side for a while now @Antypodish .

Hope everything is going good with your project bro, so far looks damn cool, like the inventory system :)

Skyfall106 likes this.
  23. Skyfall106

Skyfall106

Hahhaha thank you, im working on my inventory right now, its very hard, not a fan.

Im not very familiar with texturing so I might have gotten it wrong but how do you actually make the textures for the models? Like do you make them in photoshop, like how do you texture the Heli to look the way it is?

warthos3399 likes this.
  24. warthos3399

warthos3399

You have to get into UV mapping,.. once the model is done, you have to UV map co-ordinates, and "un-wrap" the model, into a UV texture.. Then use your (Gimp or PhotoShop) to set/adjust your actual texture.

Most of the models i use/buy already have this done, so for me i only have to "modify" the actual texture itself, but keep in mind...depending on the model/textures...you may be dealing with a "texture atlas", which is another whole different ball game, lol.

Skyfall106 likes this.
  25. khos

khos

warthos3399 likes this.
  26. warthos3399

warthos3399

Funny you should say that... I use EmeraldAI for all my dino/enemy AI, and in this new update (v2.3)

1)Has awesome new turning animations added (will get rid of the stiff looking turning).
    2) Waypoint resource targeting, meaning i can set plants, grass, trees, or what ever i want as a resource target, it will tell the dinos when theyre hungry, to go to certain plants, trees, etc. and eat them.
    3) Head turning animations so when dinos see something or someone, their heads will turn. Ill check out that tail asset, as if i cant do that through EAI, ill add it in :)

So ill be working on that for a few nights (importing the update right now). As far as the plants disappearing after being eaten, ill look into that.

27. warthos3399

warthos3399

Well the EAI update didnt go good at all, heres why:

Its now set up where you MUST set up all Non-combat AND Combat animations, but also animation events for all attack animations. If you dont the console LOADS up with ALOT of red errors, and we all know if you have ANY red errors, your not play testing your game at all. The update also breaks the integration with UFPS (which i can fix). If i were to use the update id be working on it for many days to get it all set up. I just spent 2 hours squashing errors and setting things up, and i didnt touch a 1/4 of the dinos, and i also have soldiers on top of that.

The version i use (2.0) you can set up combat animations and attack animation events later, without it throwing errors and having to completely set it up.

Now i love EAI, and still going to use it, its great. But at this point in the project if i was to update, id be going backwards, and loose ALOT of time. So im going to think about it and debate wether i want to use the update, right now i dont think so, but we will see.

Opinions are very welcome, please, lol.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    Skyfall106 likes this.
  28. kdgalla

kdgalla

THat sounds annoying. If you bring-up these problems on the Emerald AI forum thread then maybe the author will make a patch.

29. warthos3399

warthos3399

Today was much better, i talked with BHS, found a script fix to cancel the console errors, 2.3 is imported and working great!. He was talking about makeing it an option to shut them off..

Well im addicted to the update, and sure ill be up real late tonight, and glad to be back on track.

Big thnx again @BHS :)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  30. warthos3399

warthos3399

Got EAI all set up, back to normal, ive continued on trying to finish the planting in the last remaining areas, shouldnt be too much longer, also adjusted the fog last night, looking alot better. Heres a shot of the Pteranodon area finished with plants and all:

31. warthos3399

warthos3399

Spent tonight setting up Waypoints, so now all dinos and soldiers now have waypoints finished. Also more planting, almost done. Ill have some video to post probably tomorrow, and i pulled out my video editing software, and playing around with a Promo Video mock-up.

Fog is looking better, but just not right yet, and IS effected by directional/ambient light, so trying to balance it out. Having a bit of a prob with EAI's new turning animation, but still working on it. Right now focus is on fog, finishing planting, and addressing the "scating" effect of animations on the dinos, which is easy to adjust :)

32. warthos3399

warthos3399

Alot done tonight, dino animations, planting, guards in all towers,etc. And heres the promo video i threw together (WIP), "spared no expence", lol:

Skyfall106 and Antypodish like this.
  33. warthos3399

warthos3399

Working on spine/tail animations for more realism, heres a video showing progress (fog shut off during dev process, and being adjusted):

34. warthos3399

warthos3399

Well im so aggrivated right now its insane. Everyone has been telling me "get Spine Animator, and Tail Animator", and love them, great assets.

But ive wasted 2 full nights messin around with them, only result is better tail animations... I realize its growing/learning pains but, i want to smash my keyboard, lol. I mean i really care about the project and how "realistic"/AAA it needs to look, but damn...

Not giving up..(not in my vocabulary), but think for tonight i need to watch a movie or something to take a short break. Tomorrow is another day... might reach out to my Dev buddy and the assets creator to get this sorted out. As turning animations NEED to be addressed... If anyone has suggestions, would be great :)

Heres the current situation: i fully understand the plug-in and its functions, models and animations are fine, bone structure is fine, but when using Spine Animator, no matter what settings i use, the model/animations are de-formed.

Ive tried adding the script to spine-to-head, tail-to-head, pelvis-to-neck, and more...but no good result. And i understand that Unity itself updates animations (rotation/etc.), and i can over-ride that, and "blend" that through my animation controller function. And depending on the Update Function chosen (update, late update, etc.), dictates result.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  35. warthos3399

warthos3399

I spoke to the author and a new update he just made has solved my tail problems, guess it wasnt me, lol. So im going to deal with this in 2 phases, ill do tails, then ill deal with the spine prob. I should have a new video upcoming soon on progress :)

36. warthos3399

warthos3399

Great news, things have worked out perfectly! After the Tail Animator Update, the result is amazing, the control is great. You should see the rest of the dinos, looks awesome, lol. All dinos now have tail animations done, except ovi raptor, raptor, and dilo, as they will need a different tail animation. Heres a vid of progress:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  37. warthos3399

warthos3399

All tail animations are done for all dinos, looking great!. Was playing around with possible genetic hybrids for the island tonight, think i might have gone too far, lol. Need thoughts on this one. keep in mind textures/animations/etc. can be changed, but kinda cool looking. Probably off the hook, but doesnt hurt to ask/play around, its where good ideas come from, lol. Thoughts?

38. Antypodish

Antypodish

Lol, you got Hydra. Now need cerberus.
    Next thing will be medusa? :D

Btw. Your Hydra moves head back up too quick.

What about wings mutation? Even if of the dodo wing size. :cool:

warthos3399 likes this.
  39. warthos3399

warthos3399

lol, like i said, all animations/textures/etc. can be fully changed, found him on my HD, messed around a bit, but dont think he really fits in, hard finding genetic hybrid ideas, still playing around with others. Speaking of that...id love to find a decent DoDo model, would be a great addition.

One favorite that WILL be in-game is a carnivorous plant :) Also the Carnotaur has to be replaced/removed, checked tonight and i cant access the skeleton/bone structure in the model...no good to me, as i need to be able to add tail animations and spine animations :(

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  40. khos

khos

How about having a game play mode called "normal" and "Genesplicing", then you get the unusual dinos out ?

Where do get your dino models from, they look good.

warthos3399 likes this.
  41. warthos3399

warthos3399

@khos an idea worth thinking about :) All models wether i buy them or make them, are heavily modified, specially textures.

I find that the ones you buy, need the most work (no offence), as every game has a different settting/lighting, so you need to tailor them to the environment. Textures are a VERY big factor (resolutions/color/hue, bump map. etc.), and im still not at my final stage of texture adjustment (soon).

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  42. warthos3399

warthos3399

Ok guys, fixed the prob with Carnotaur's bones/skeleton! Also re-textured them and added tail animations :) Ill set their waypoints and adjust the textures tomorrow. New vid of them:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  43. warthos3399

warthos3399

What im currently working on is a carnivorous plant that "appears"/comes up from the ground, type plant, that attacks/spits poison, and if you dont kill it, it "disappears"/goes back underground, and re-gens health.

The animation integration with Emerald AI, is interesting, and is going good so far. The texture NEEDS major adjustment, to fit into current environment.

44. warthos3399

warthos3399

New species added...Sarcosuchus. Ill set up textures, tail animation and better AI. There will also be yet another new species added this weekend. Thing is i dont want pure herbavores that dont attack, takes away fun for the player, so 2 species are being replaced with..lets say "more teeth". I have big plans for these guys. Heres a vid of them, and they aint small, lol:

45. Antypodish

Antypodish

Nice crocks. Were these feed with nukes?
    But make sure you got plenty small animals. And actual animals, which sing in the forests :)

warthos3399 likes this.
  46. MeadowGames

MeadowGames

Hi warthos3399, I've been following your project and look forward to your updates. The sarcosuchus animation looks great. Keep it up!

warthos3399 likes this.
  47. warthos3399

warthos3399

big thnx @MeadowGames :)
    and @Antypodish hell yes, not only small animals/reptiles...falling leaves, and flocks of small birds, etc., :)
    Got alot done in just a few hours :)
    • All LOD's are now 100% done (complete, accept for additions).
    • All materials gpu instanced, now 100% done (complete, accept for additions).
    • Set up base (EmeraldAI) enemy detection radius for all dinos, and soldiers.
    • Sarcosuchus now has new custom tecture (fixing the tounge as we speak), and tail animations done.
    I love seeing the word "complete" in updates now, as systems/setttings are being finished. Starting to set up combat AI and animations, so combat/FPS controller (UFPS) is going to be the next big update coming. Check out the new babies;

48. warthos3399

warthos3399

Antypodish likes this.
  49. Antypodish

Antypodish

Well, I wouldn't call them skinny. You have definitely been feeding them with some grow hormones :D
    Thx for a link.

warthos3399 likes this.
  50. skinwalker

skinwalker

Hello, I like the project! May I ask where can I get the small trees on this video (at the beginning) and also at 00:33 (left corner)

If you are looking to enhance the visuals, I recommend using these assets: Beautify, Ambient Skies (combine it with Enviro, only use the post processing from it) and amplify occlusion + amplify color (I think they will be available for free on github soon)

warthos3399 likes this.