Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games (PC) Jurassic Extinction (Released)

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by warthos3399, Jul 29, 2019.

1. warthos3399

warthos3399

This will be the last "nightly" type update, as the website is updated more (nightly), as its my Dev Log (unless you guys like seeing WIP shots). But when videos are done they will be posted here :)

Tonight i started the interior of the operations center. Still needs alot of work (textures, placement, additions, etc.). Heres a shot of the reception desk:

And these are the monitor stations:

These will have screenshots from the island on all monitors when done:

And the lab:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  2. jbb1979

jbb1979

You know, you've got a really good place, it's looks super-good, you're like getting the "set" ready and, it looks good - - When I see this some-what primitive first result, I'm Super - impressed, if I were you I'd get a sketch pad, and then start drawing on top of what you got, so you can see what you want, on the pictures, like may-be print the images here out and, get a pen or, pencil and, draw on top of it - - Drawing is a very intuitive way of getting your ideas out, then you can add those things - -

I don't see low - poly mess, I see potential and, greatness ! !! The thing I would do is, if there are some things you are happy with, as they are, I mean certain surfaces on the desk, some-thing you don't really want to change, maybe make a quick UV unwrap in Blender, or DCC and, add a nice texture to the surfaces you are happy with, so you get even more visual input, from your early concepts, like These images - -

It's a lot more easy and, intuitive to draw on these images, either with a drawing tablet PC, a drawing pad or, just print them out and, start painting on them, with a pen or, marker - - Super-easy way and, then you can build the 3D models you want, which is more time-consuming and, you don't waste time proto-typing - -

I really want you to add some lights, some simple lighting, because that would give you a lot of information, just drag in some light sources, like ceiling lamps and, maybe some desk lamps - -

desk 27325.jpg

I think that would be a good way to get a better understanding, of the scenes you've made and, progress - - You could also cut out some items, from images and, paste them on your image, to get an idea - - This is sort of the Pre-viz stage ( pre-visualization ) and, you should approach this both as a 3D artist and, an Interior decorator - - The ability to switch between a Hard-core 3D modeller and, a Cool Interiors designer will help you create the Right scene - -

Over-all, It's super-good and, your game is looking awe-some ! !$ $

Please consider dragging some lights in, make a low-poly desk lamp and, put it on some desks and, Place lights in the ceiling, it should take about 5 minutes but, you'll understand it a lot better - -

desk 782323.jpg desk 7892323.jpg
    desk 235257.jpg

With a few simple lights placed, you get a far greater understanding, of the depth and, will make better artistic placement, of the assets, it only takes 5 - 10 minutes to place the correct lights and, it Creates a Great mood - -

Your game is fantastic, Keep Doing it - --

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    warthos3399 likes this.
  3. warthos3399

warthos3399

Know exactly what your saying bro (thnx)....but all lighting/particle effects, etc. are planned for stage 3. As a very wise community member once told me...build it 1st, then worry about lighting and optimization in final phase (macro over micro). Think about the SS/video you have seen, imagine what its going look like with correct fog, lighting, day/night cycles, weather, wind zones, etc.

I feel you bro, but i feel (not just you) that most are impatient (hurry up), but games of this scope and size, need their Dev time to make things correct. Ive already been contacted by "others in the industry" about the next project, one in particular is Shadowbane 2 (look up shadowbane emulators), but im doing nothing until this project is done.

This is my baby, and i will not be "rushed" into a forced "time frame" for the sake of others. Things have to be done right, in an orderly fashion. Too many games "now-a-days" are released too early as kickstarter or otherwise, and suffer from that. This is a big project, im 2-3 months in, and have done alot in that time frame.

Unity is a great dev engine, alot of option and learning curve, but worth every minute of it, functionality is awesome, Im proud of what ive done so far with this engine, but to be very honest, what ive seen mostly from other supposed Devs of Unity, is 2d IOS based games, anyone can dev 2d, but lets see you dev a 3d realism based environment, its alot of work, alot of time and etc.....

jbb1979 and Antypodish like this.
  4. jbb1979

jbb1979

First of all, your game simply rocks ! !

Maybe you're right, doing lighting so on, fog - - later, is better, I don't know - -

I Want to say, what you're doing now, setting up a rough sketch, is always good, to get an over-look, it's important to have sort of ' Development phases ', first you add rough 3D models and, placement, to sort of get some early Concepts, from there you can start saying, then I need to do this and, start bringing the models to the ' next ' level, maybe from A to AA, Slowly - -

I think the next goal might to add a bit more detail to the models and, Update the Textures, A Bit more - - Then bring all that stuff together, my point is, Work in increments, don't expect to go from Nothing to, Finished product - - Define Intermediate stages, that are a Measurement, of succes - - Like, your images, They're showing a project coming together, you're building a rough sketch and, you've Hit a Mile-stone, You've Done well - - I think having these ' half - way ' goals, of just putting rough models in, is Super - good - -

I think you're Doing very Well, Good luck - -

ps. Post updates - -$

I think there are a lot of approaches to game making and, none is the ' Correct ' one, but what you've done is an important step, you've created an environment and, even if it's primitive it's also very useful, because now you can look at it, and think, I want this here, I want to make this model better and, I want this and that, all those things weren't possible before you made these early concept designs, these Images are a Door-way to Greatness, I think - -

Yes. They look ' simple ' and, hurried but, they're extremely useful, because know you have a ' shell ' and, can start saying, where can I apply my-self to make the most progress, to go from A to AA - - Does that make sense, these images are well worth the effort because, know you know what must come next, The Next level - -

warthos3399 likes this.
  5. jbb1979

jbb1979

What you can do now, is say I want the computers to look more realistic, then google computers and, find concept, the ' Best ' images, of computers - - Then, after googling computers and, finding 5 - 6 concept images, that you really, really like, you can go into 3D DCC Software and, create that look and, find the right textures . .

One could say your current images represent ' A ' quality games but, these " easy " images, low-res and low-poly are a great mile-stone, because you can say, either, I want to focus on making more ' A ' elements and, filling out the world if you like that approach or, you can put effort into making the elements in your first rough sketch images look better, you can get them to the level, of ' AA ', sort of - -

Does that make sense, what you've done is very important and, helpful . . Knowing what the simple shapes are, you can make a decision, you could print them out and, start writing on them, you can also say, I want a oriental looking carpet, and google ' oriental ' carpets until you get the right ' early concept ' images of carpets and, use that, to go to the next stage . . Another benefit is, you can say, I want the ' computers ' to look nice because, there might be gameplay connected with them, like interactions or, so and, then you can start making them look the best, because the player will look at them for long time, trying to find information in the flashing screens ..

The way I see it, there's no need to be critical, of what you've done, in the slightest, I would say, you've hit an important mile-stone and, done important progress - -

plus, your game looks awesome and, amazing - -

I sometimes think, instead of saying, I want my game to look photoreal, one can also say, I want my game to look like, maybe " Half-life 2 " game, that's good enough - - My point is, you don't need a 150.000 vert main character, to tell a story, to me, I always ask the question, how good do I need it to look to tell my story - - For instance, if you want a game with head shots of human characters, and you just want to tell a story, this is good enough graphics, to convey 99 % of all human emotions, my point is, I often ask the question, what is ' the least amount of graphics ' I need to tell my story, is what I have good enough, for Telling stories - -

This Main character has a recognizable face, that any gamer will be able to see, is he angry or, sad, etc etc - - You can tell basically any story with a character this simple - -
    face ret67577564.jpg

If you want to tell a story, with this blocky character, you can, any person looking at the picture will say, oh that's a human being, and so on - - This face is almost good enough to tell any story or, problem . ..

My point is, it's allowed to say, I have the graphics I want and, I need - - I can tell my story, the visuals are useful and, good - - I could make them better but, that doesn't create a better mood or, necessarily game - - Then later, if you want, you can update the model and, take it to the next level, if you want, like this:

face re 857875.png

My point is, making a more complex character doesn't make the drama or, characters better, just more presentable . . . The epic stuff in a game doesn't just come from many polygons, the story also creates tension and, well-planned and, executed characters, with quirky and, interesting personality traits are also part of making a smash - hit - -

My point is this, when does a game have enough detail to tell the story you want and, complete the game - - That's not a AAA game, any AA game can tell their story and, a clever A game can convey the same message and, fun, as an AAA looking game - -

Saying, my goal is to have an AA game, with a great story and, nice characters will probably make it a better game, over saying I'm going to make AAA look but, with uninteresting characters and, plot - lines --

The thing I want to say is, ask yourself, what is the bare-minimum look I can accept, to tell my story and, Complete my game ? Maybe the top images are good enough and, having reached that level, you can focus on making other parts of the game fun, like game-play, action, animation, coding, level design, filler meshes - -

Ask your-self, are ' A ' game looks good enough, do I need to go into ' AA ' Quality to tell my story or, do I even need ' AAA ' Quality Visuals, in my game, what do you need, to ' get the job done ' ?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    warthos3399 likes this.
  6. Antypodish

Antypodish

@jbb1979 I think you have conveyed clearly your message about desired improved quality of models.
    No need to repeat all the time the same thing over.

Let do OP own job and focus on priorities, not the AA / AAA models. I think is clear also, that OP is occupied enough, on what is the phase stage and relevant.

I strongly suggest @jbb1979 that you start focus on making some game and you will realize, how complex and time consuming it is on its own.

warthos3399 likes this.
  7. Antypodish

Antypodish

@warthos3399 you got plans for your human NPCs? Assuming you are planning some?
    Any goals like AI, on their interaction with environment, or and main character?

warthos3399 likes this.
  8. warthos3399

warthos3399

Thnx guys, really, and yes @Antypodish, funny you should bring that up, im currently working on NPC 's (and will for the weekend, needed a break from foliage placement, lol), and interactions. Enemy AI has been a bit of a pain, but looking good. Been mainly working on the actual NPC models and their animations/AI. Ive had to re-do some animations and etc. with the models, but next is actual systems (inventory, save states, etc.), and implimentation of them. Im still working on the characters look, and set-up, but as a para-military type, i shouldnt have too much problem. UI and cutscenes is another phase, as well as intro/logo, etc.

@jbb1979, i actually was thinking the same thing as you, as the monitor stations will at least have shots from around the island (cam shots), i might go a bit farther with that idea. As far as the operations center i have 2 main areas that have to be addressed, the entrance and the lab (where the player will get the embryo/DNA samples). Thnx for the ideas :)

Antypodish and jbb1979 like this.
  9. jbb1979

jbb1979

Yeah, I'm thinking about how to be a productive game designer, sometimes after a hard time of modelling, one needs a break and, I could go work on characters or, environment concepts and, ideas - - It's nice to alter between the grueling and, hard coding and, some nicer more relaxing things, like character design, rough ideas, land-scape work, placing trees and, so on - -

Over-all, I favor a natural, relaxed approach, to making games and, Computer stuff --

I also have a white-board where I can write daily tasks, mark steps as complete and, so on, it really helps, I can see if I've met my goals or, I need more content or, time to do stuff --

I think when one looks for the ' Natural, intuitive ' way through Game making, one has more fun and, it's a lot easier, to get through the project, and complete it all - -

ps. I've thought of a way to get sketches or, drawings into the computer, as references for 3D models, buy a 2D scanner, they're very cheap and, then you can take all your sketches and, have a true copy of it, for Modelling references and, so on - -§

ep 78255.jpg

eps 9823525.jpg

I think it's important to have a good, cheap way of getting ones drawing and, sketches into the computer, with good quality, for further improvement and, so on - - Those 2D sketches can then be put into programs like Blender, or other DCC, like 3DS Max, for use as back-ground references, while modelling - -

I'm trying to find out what is the best way, to go from an idea, in the mind, to a finished, high - quality 3D or, 2D Asset - - I've also thought of getting a drawing pad, I already have one, they're great for doing Sculpting in Blender And, Photoshop

I'm writing these things to inspire you to get your project done, maybe you think it's difficult to just make a good 3D character, for me it's true, so I'm coming up with an entire work-flow, that best suits me - -

I wanted to share that and, hope it's useful - -

Also, perhaps start a discussion but, I don't think forum is aimed for that but, I wanted to try, at least . .. In the end, having a good concept to final product work-flow will help make a better, more Solid - looking game - -$

warthos3399 likes this.
  10. warthos3399

warthos3399

I also have a bit of a surprise set up, after the player grabs the embryo/DNA, they have to get to the NE dock to escape, well lets just say, that wont be easy, lol. per Antypodish's info, and my own research, there were many other species in the jurassic era, that most dont know about, or werent shown in the JP series, so im going to run with that, lol. Example: Titanoboa, i have a great model to use, but a snakes movement is very different from Humanoid or etc., so on off time ive been working on that, as well as other surprises :)

jbb1979 likes this.
  11. warthos3399

warthos3399

@jbb1979 i agree with the idea, but as ive said before, a big community member has givin me some of the best advice ever, and so far has worked out awesome, and i will stay on that projected path, im really happy with the way the game is coming along, but i sometimes get impatient, and want things done faster, as i know what it will be, my biggest thing is just wait till outside environment has correct fog, lighting, particle effects, volumetric clouds and post-processing, it will be jaw-dropping, but i have to be patient, lol

jbb1979 likes this.
  12. jbb1979

jbb1979

okay, I wanted to give some advice, some new inputs, for inspiration, I don't think I have any-thing more, I just wanted to share an efficient, easy work-flow - -§

warthos3399 likes this.
  13. Antypodish

Antypodish

I think for snake is best generate some kind of path, as line. Bezier for example. You could fit it nicely to curves. Then add noise, like wave, as if snake moves. And then you can have bones, which follow path, and use position offset. Unless you got already idea how to make them. Seeing snakes in game that would be something for sure. I don't recall snakes in games much.

Regading DNA. You planning use premade models only? Or planning some customization. Something a bit toward Spore game? Possible colors adjustments? Or traits?

warthos3399 likes this.
  14. warthos3399

warthos3399

@Antypodish yes i was thinking the same, Bezier is a great idea, and the offset wouldnt be too bad, and its true, no one has had a large snake in game like this ever, so thats what im going for....different. Its just 1 of a few ideas i have cooked up, as far as implimentation, i have to pace myself. And yes, i can use my own models, or a pre-made, doesnt matter, as i customize everything, my thought with DNA is to set it up as a "pick up" type item, like a medpack.

Antypodish likes this.
  15. jbb1979

jbb1979

Snakes are Very hard to animate, they move in a strange way, where it's difficult to see where they place their weight and, every move and, gesture they make is an unpredictable one - -

It can be done but, other creatures are easier - - Snakes almost requires a study, in how they move, there's no Simple answer, Snakes are hard - -

My advice, start with birds or, fish - - Animate a shark or, some flying dinosaur - - The time you will end up putting into it, getting the animation and, movement just right, might not be worth it, unless you know some nice tricks Or, Gimmicks - -

A snake is the last thing I would want to animate, ever - - Even a cat would be easier to animate, as it falls down - -

Why not focus on getting better at animating the dinosaurs, what you learn from one can be applied to the others ..

I would look into it cost-benefit wise, yes you get a cool animal and, it's fits but, the cost in terms of hours would make me pick other things, besides snakes are not that interesting compared to dinosaurs, we see them all the time - -

I would put my energy in fish and, flying creatures - - Simply, for the sake of getting things done and, Moving for-ward - -

16. jbb1979

jbb1979

You could make different T-Rex like dinosaurs and, knowing how to animate one, locate keyframes, you could animate others, I'd think in terms of what gets me the ' Most mileage ' - - Besides, you probably only want one snake and, aside from colors, they're not that different or, interesting - -

I would like to snakes in my game too but, I'd probably look to buy a Ready asset, from the store . ..

The dinosaurs are the stars, snakes have been seen on tv, for many years, they're not that fascinating or, cool - -

But, you could even invent your own dinosaurs, or make ones that inhabit cold areas, and you could animate all them from an understanding animating maybe two - three - -

Dino 893463.jpg

You could make horned T-rex, just invent your own, for your game - - Maybe a four legged T-rex, with fore-arms - -

I would put snakes at the bottom, of my list and, make dinosaurs - -$

17. jbb1979

jbb1979

I have some more advice but, it's Only a suggestion - -

The company Quixel makes ready-made 3D textures and, assets and, even Disney uses them - - There's a bit of money but, not much - - you just buy what you need, and, you can start - -

They have a special plug-in, so any asset you purchase goes directly into Unity or, for instance Blender - -

That's a tutorial for creating an environment, I think total cost for those assets are about 50 - 60 $

There's also rainforest plants and, many other stuff - -

They also have a program called Quixel mixer, which is free right now and, there are about 50 free assets and, textures you can look into, both major game studios and, movie companies use them, just go to Quixel.com and, it's got a great ' Direct to Unity ' Export feature - -

I will be using them exclusively, to make Hell, they got textures, foliage, trees and, rocks - -$

I think you might end spending 100 - 120 $ for your entire game and, you can export textures in any resolution from 512x512 to 8K - - There's also LOD on All assets - -

ps. I've tried Cryengine, there's No documentation and, it's Almost impossible - -

warthos3399 likes this.
  18. Antypodish

Antypodish

@jbb1979 listen, game making is not just some random asset purchase and mixing them together, and hoping all will work out of the box. There is tons of work on top of each asset, to make sure all get integrated correctly. It happens with assets often that may require complete rework, as it don't fit to the project.

Higher quality of asset (either bought, or made) = much more time to spend on it.

warthos3399 and jbb1979 like this.
  19. warthos3399

warthos3399

I have Quixel mixer, its ok, dont use it much. Antypodish is so right, higher quality assets dont always work for all senarios, for instance, i have to always watch out for the "textures per-model", draw calls, LOD's...theres so much you have to consider, and optimization (last phase) can take a while depending on all those factors.

Yes i might have to get another snake model, the one im working on looks great but the animations just dont want to work right, ive redone them a few times and it just doesnt look right, and i have to consider how much time im gonna spend/waste messing around with it, we will see. Just got home from work, so time to get working :)

20. Antypodish

Antypodish

I think snake animation is cool challenge. But as you both already concluded, if is too complex to make, I wouldn't focus on it. Maybe set low priority or something. Chancers are, that later time will bring some nice fresh ideas.

jbb1979 likes this.
  21. warthos3399

warthos3399

Your right, well i spent tonight setting up the FPS system/scripting, and its going to work out great! This is just a "starting" video, but its now in place, no console errors, plenty of room for weapons, inventory/pick-ups, and etc. im glad for that. Next decision is either go 1st person or 3rd person :)

22. jbb1979

jbb1979

Wow, that's amazing . .

Good job, You're Doing well - -

warthos3399 likes this.
  23. warthos3399

warthos3399

As far as the Titanoboa, i got it done, but as Antypodish stated, im going to wait to add him, as i still have 3 more species to add in and get AI set up, so once thats done, ill worry about the snake (and animations look good). One of the new additions is Gastornis, look it up, hes gonna be a great addition. :)

jbb1979 likes this.
  24. jbb1979

jbb1979

It's looking nice, I thought you might need better floor and, ground textures, like a nice sand or, like that, in 1024x1024, you can do nice sand in Quixel mixer

warthos3399 likes this.
  25. jbb1979

jbb1979

I like your approach, first you're building a ' set ', from a movie and, then you're slowly adding detail, building it up - - You're getting the major pieces into position first, so you get an over-view, Very nice - --

warthos3399 likes this.
  26. warthos3399

warthos3399

Thnx bro, yes thats the plan, dont forget about textures, as that part alone will take weeks, as higher textures for alot of models/assets will "finalize" things and look great. So what do you guys think?, 1st person or 3rd?

Also, owlhowell (miss hearing from you), jbb1979, and Antypodish, will be in the credits for the game, big thnx for the support and ideas, much appreciated :)

owlhowell and jbb1979 like this.
  27. jbb1979

jbb1979

lol lol I'm famous - -

warthos3399 likes this.
  28. warthos3399

warthos3399

29. jbb1979

jbb1979

I wanted to say, your project is F***ing awesome, do you need some-one to do some free work, if it's alright I would like, To help - -

I get some practice and, you might get closer to what you want, I'll try to do things that are easily editable - -

warthos, aka " Raptor 1" - -<3

ech 457457.jpg

$ $$

You can put me in Post-game Credits as ' Concept Asset developer ' X X

warthos3399 likes this.
  30. warthos3399

warthos3399

Ill tell you what, as a test, tomorrow ill send you the current model (if you want it) for the receptionist desk (in the operations center), now, you can change the model or use your own, use what ever you want for textures, but you have to use 2048 x 2048, no higher resolution, it keeps rendering under control, for now. (that may change later on), lets see what you got... as i could use the help so i can concentrate more on systems/scripts at this point.... Show me what you got :)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    jbb1979 likes this.
  31. jbb1979

jbb1979

32. Antypodish

Antypodish

Thx, that would be cool.

I think you guys may have potential chance, to get some nice collaboration here.
    @jbb1979 would have an opportunity to use own expertise, on building 3D models, without worrying about programming side.

Positive curious upon the results.

Edit:
    Regarding snakes and dinos :p

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    warthos3399 likes this.
  33. warthos3399

warthos3399

Been doing alot of coding/scripting the past few days, been working on AI and FPS systems, but took a break to get this guy in (Gastornis. prehistoric flight-less bird), Good addition to JE, he might look cute, but hes NOT! he will bite your face off, lol...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    jbb1979 likes this.
  34. warthos3399

warthos3399

@Antypodish that SS looks just like my Titanoboa, lol

35. warthos3399

warthos3399

Come on jbb1979, where you at?, what you got? No prob, ill do it myself, lol. Ok back to progress, ill be spending tomorrow updating the Operations Center, will have video/SS once things are set, AI/Scripting is going well, just getting integrations between systems set up as i have time, still need to get foliage set up for certain areas, all in due time :)

jbb1979 likes this.
  36. jbb1979

jbb1979

I'm here, I just had some down time, Felt really sad, you said you would send me the mesh uhmm, but could you also go on google and, get some early concept, just a few images of what you hope for $ $

warthos3399 likes this.
  37. warthos3399

warthos3399

Go with what you feel is best bro, get those creative juices flowing, and nothing wrong with downtime.....you know the project, you see the SS, you got this.... :)

jbb1979 likes this.
  38. warthos3399

warthos3399

39. jbb1979

jbb1979

Thanks, I know this isn't connected directly to this but, I made this earlier this morning it's a first design idea, for a mech, I did it on paper ( my electronic sketch - pad ) and, it very dumb - -

I want to show it, because I think it's important we have a ' Work - pace ', from early idea, to finished 2D concepts, to passable 3D model to, Final, Game -ready Model - -

I want to encourage you to use this method, to get your rough idea or, vague notions into your game because, it's a lot easier and, less committal to make a quick drawing and, have some early ideas - - Then one can go looking for concept art and, further improve it - - For instance if you draw your Main character, a rough sketch, on a piece of paper and, scanned it, you would have some-thing you could start coloring and, get some-thing like this - -

Warrior 02.jpg

Warriors 01.jpg

Cha 2895234.jpg

My point is, using a few minutes to get your ideas for the main character, in your game down, can be a really good way of, getting started, since it can be over-whelming to jump directly into 3D modelling and, sculpting - - Those things are possible but, require practice .. As time progresses and, you get your main character just right, it will be more exciting to finally make him, in 3D, with all those cool ' ideas ' you've stored up, over time - -

My advice is not to stop doing coding or, World building, You're good at it and, It looks fantastic - -

But, when you want a break or, feel particularly inspired for making your character, you can just see what you want a sequence in the game to be like, get out a piece of paper and, draw a story-board, may-be even with Cartoon buble text and, dialogue - -

story 022.jpg

Also, My experience is, that very good ideas I've had earlier, I often forget them, I can't recall them much later and, it's a bit sad, so I've developed the habit of writing any game idea I have down, and, finding Early concept art so, I have a big reservoir of ideas and, Visual images that help me later . ..

So, when you've coded for 1 ½ hours and, maybe want a break, get out a piece of paper and, start drawing - -

My workflow is to get a bigger drawing tablet and, a 2D scanner, so I can scan things I've made on paper into the computer and, retouch them there - -

epson 2D 2235.jpg

Coming up with a finished 3D character, that's 10.000 - 12.000 verts can be very daunting but, you always start from a beginning position - - I will buy that 2D scanner next month and, a better sketch-pad, mine is too small, it should be medium sized - - You could also try a 1080p or, even 4K drawing tablet, within an inbuilt screen, to get your rough ideas in the game, I can teach you basic 2D drawing - - It's fast and, it takes little effort - -

The result, you know what your main character is going to look like and, every time you go back to your drawing, you can update them, add more details, if you suddenly get the inspiration - -

I'm not trying to derail your thread, I'm trying to get you to expand your idea of, of what work -flows are realistic, that will better your game - - If you wanted to, I Could write the story for your game and, make the characters, if you don't want to, but I Don't know . ..

I hope you will see this, as a little hobby that can enhance your game making Experience And, Make it More Fun - - If you don't like it, It's okay - -§

40. jbb1979

jbb1979

The thing I want to help you do, is make the idea you have in your mind come out And, Be real - -

It's a lot easier if you have a few lose ideas, to make a quick drawing, than to make a Full 3D 10 - 12.000 Polygon character - -

That's why these concepts are useful, the early ones, they cement your idea, over time, of what you want - -

So, I encourage using them and, the more you do, the better you'll get, I already have improved my 2D drawing skills, from the start, I have a ' method ' and, it's natural And, fun - -

So, if you could, would you take 10 - 15 minutes, to make a sketch of your main character, just a rough one, on some paper, maybe draw in some colors if, you have crayons or, and take a picture, one your phone and, upload it here - --

I would like to see what you want your hero or, main character to look like, if you had the opportunity - -

Alternatively, you can find concept images, or designs, by googling for images, that you would help, high-light the parts on them you like, in a drawing program, like MS Paint and, writing a little comment .. . I like these pants, I want this particular T-shirt, This hair-style - -

The more clear your idea of what you want, the easier it is to finally make it because, you know what you want . ..

It's important to have a strong ' work -flow' that helps one get ones ideas, in the game, ones original and, personal ideas - -

I often get stuck at the 3D modelling stage, because I'm confused, I have so many ideas and, I don't know what I really want - - Having a slow build - up of Early concepts, sketches and Google image searches, and storing them in a folder called ' Concept stage ' or, ' Concept are ' and, giving them Relevant names - - Main character - Face 02, Main character pants 02, Main character gloves 04 makes it a lot easier, and it's fun to image ones game, In ones mind, before one makes it and, it makes finishing it more foreseeable and, nice - -

Here are some examples of my ' Artistic Work - flow' - -

Warriors 9235.jpg

Warriors 04.jpg

Prime Vixen 01.png

Test 03.jpg

vixen 97825425.jpg

Does that make sense, the more sure of what you want you are, the more easy it will be to make it later, I find making an early sketch on paper or, a drawing pad is a great way, of getting those initial ideas down on paper, into some-thing concrete and, useable - -

Then, later one improves on that, makes a first 3D model, and with simple textures, then one improves it, and so on . ..

For me, these things are crucial and, a needed break, from the difficult work of learning coding and, the computer - -- For me, it's often impossible to go from idea to instant 3D model, it's too slow and, I get confused and, I struggle - -

But, with paper, I can just draw what I want, when I want and, leave it - -

I store all these things in a game folder and, most of all, I use these things to take a break, when I want to work on my game but, I'm Just too tired to find the energy, then I can look for early concepts And, Art - -

Also, it's fun to speculate on ones hero and, may-be a female character, also 1 - 2 Villains, in advance, so one can slowly evolve them, as one codes, builds and, Polishes The game - - The Two can go hand in hand and, need not antagonize The other and, it's a lot of fun and, later you'll be grateful because, many of your ideas have become set in stone and, there's no debate or, confusion when you finally do make a Full 3-D Character - -

that's my ' Artistic method ', My ' Work - day ' - - Mix in the fun with the hard And, Tough - - Give your-self a break and, Come back with New energy, That's that - -

My point is, game making is more fun and, Natural if you work this way, There's learning coding but, There's also More relaxing, Easy aspects of it and, If you learn some good early habits, in Those areas, Your Game could Greatly, greatly benefit, From it . --

41. warthos3399

warthos3399

Ok, been coding/scripting all day, not slackin, lol. Havent had time for assets and etc. and probably will be a bit before i can get back to it, been real busy with AI and Systems.

@jbb1979 , look, its ok, ill do it myself, i know your excited and have lots of ideas, but i really dont have time for that right now, im good on my story line, models, environment, etc. im now in the coding/systems phase, and its going to take sometime, as not eveything likes to work together, so i have to modify/re-write, worry about integrations, and more.

I gave you a simple model (static) and wanted to see what you could do with it, in order to help with some of the asset production, to keep that end going, as there still alot to do in that area. Im in no way upset, just really busy, and ive had 3 meetings from another Dev/project i had to attend, on top of it, lol. Dont sweat it my man...continue on :)

jbb1979 likes this.
  42. warthos3399

warthos3399

Break through in coding/systems tonight, im so happy! I will be using EmeraldAI v2.2 for the dinos and enemies AI, and UFPS v1.7.5 for fps actions/systems, and they integrate together nicely. (dmg can be taken and delivered by both player and enemies). UFPS is a real top of the line controller, loving it.

Some modifications had to be done to EmeraldAI, but the animations all work with the dinos, and are set (EmeraldAI DOES NOT like Legacy animations, lol). I got the Para's animations set up tonight, ill probably set up a few more before i crash.

Once those systems are integrated and all dinos animated/AI, then i can get back to assets, and terrain. The observation towers will be 1st, then finish the operations center.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    jbb1979 likes this.
  43. warthos3399

warthos3399

As of tonight, all the dinos are set up with animations and AI with the new AI system called EmeraldAI! I will be tweaking the AI in another phase, but basic animations are set for all dinos. Tomorrow night will be setting up my FPS system called UFPS, which is the character eveyone will be.

Once thats done, its back to assets and terrain, the new observation towers will be going in, and will be able to resume work on the operations center :)

This coming weekend will be a good one, with videos of progress. Lots of surprises coming, new species being added, story line plots, and character customizations (UFPS is an incredible controller, talk about options, lol).

jbb1979 likes this.
  44. warthos3399

warthos3399

Got animations started with Pteranodon tonight, EmeraldAI is incredible, this is base animations (more to be added as well as offset, etc.) Video as promised, more to come:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    jbb1979 and Antypodish like this.
  45. Kwel

Kwel

Nice project with great challenges!! I'm looking forward to seeing more!
    I'm sure the whole thing will look even more amazing with some post processing.

Good luck mate :)

jbb1979, warthos3399 and owlhowell like this.
  46. warthos3399

warthos3399

Big thnx, yes post processing, fog and volumetric clouds are planned, but will be added in a later phase. Best of luck to you and your project!

Kwel and jbb1979 like this.
  47. warthos3399

warthos3399

More Progress!
    The AI integrations and main coding/scripting are finally done! EmeraldAI and UFPS work together great! This weekend will be spent on dinos animations (different ones, smoother,offsets, etc.) and the work on assets now continues. The observation towers are going in as we speak (will have enemies in them later on). Videos will follow soon :)

jbb1979 likes this.
  48. warthos3399

warthos3399

Observation/guard towers are in (still need a bit of mod), but ill place them around the island tomorrow in select areas. These towers will have Omar's Para-Military in them that you will have to kill and loot :)

Kwel likes this.
  49. warthos3399

warthos3399

Updated the operations center, still more to do, but a great start. Got SS from the island on the control monitors, all collisions added in, and more. Video as promised :)

jbb1979 likes this.
  50. warthos3399

warthos3399

Just a FYI, i had a very large boost in performance tonight, did some "micro" optimization, and things are looking VERY good, everything is falling into place (environment, performance, animations, hard code). Cant wait to get to the phase of fog, volumetric clouds, lighting, etc.), we are looking very good, ill post video in the a.m. :)

owlhowell and jbb1979 like this.