Search Unity

Games (PC) Jurassic Extinction (Released)

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by warthos3399, Jul 29, 2019.

1. warthos3399

warthos3399

Sup guys! Heres a WIP of spinosaurus, the final boss, and his area. Its the biggest area in JE, due to his size/scale. In the begining of the video, you can see his teeth through the foliage, lol, real cool shot. Cant wait to make final passes for animation/movement/behavior on him, hes going to look great!

Ive already started game-wide changes/passes, and its working out nicely. So far, performance is awesome, and all 7 levels are done. Only a few small things to add in. Ill be updating video of changes/passes, as they are done:

Stephen_O likes this.
  2. warthos3399

warthos3399

Alot of work done today, heres the list:
    • Every level now has its own sky (sunset, overcast, sunny, etc.).
    • Shadows and Lighting adjusted (due to different skyboxes).
    • All level tele portals are now working.
    • Had to rebuild Aquas water in a few levels (artifacts).
    • Alot of movement/animation work to spino (video to come).
    Heres an example, a SS of spinos area, with new skybox, shadow/lighting, and foliage hue adjustments:

3. warthos3399

warthos3399

I really enjoy the dev work at this point. Seeing the changes game-wide is very cool. Being able to play the whole game is a trip, lol. Tonight i made an audio pass, and animation work:
    • Dino footstep sounds added to all dinos.
    • Most dinos have multiple idle sounds added, (when they bark, theres multiple/random sounds played).
    • Wait time between animations lowered (more fluid movement).
    Heres the promised video, of spinosaurus and his new animation/movement adjustments. The turning is way better, and the walk is spot on. Tail animation will be next:

4. warthos3399

warthos3399

Done alot of work tonight on Acrocanthosaurus, as well as some game-wide changes:
    • Turning Angle for all dinos adjusted (turning angle is WHEN a turning animation can start, by angle).
    • Heavy animation/movement work on Orthros (quadraped, not easy).
    • Re-texture of Acrocanthosaurus (full body, mouth: teeth, toungue and inside gums, hue work).
    Acro came out nice, as you will see, the turning, and speed there of, is ALOT better. He still needs tail animation, damn thing is stiff as a board, lol:

5. warthos3399

warthos3399

Ive posted before on my workflow for JE, and i meant it all. And here is proof. Tonight i spent some time and made an animation/movement pass on Acrocanthosaurus, and the results are staggering. Look at his footsteps, the turning, the new tail animation. This guy surprised me, and it looks great!

After the pass, i played it a few times, and i was so excited! My workflow has paid off big time. Im sure your all thinking "hes probably done that to most all the dinos by now". You would be correct, lol. Tail animations are 50% done, and they look nice. I told you it would work out good, and heres the eye candy:

Deckard_89 likes this.
  6. Antypodish

Antypodish

I see you still going strong :)
    Well done.

Just curious about tail behaviour.
    Did you look how reptails and mammals with tails behave?

I haven't investigated the topic, but I am asking, if it does feel natural?

warthos3399 likes this.
  7. warthos3399

warthos3399

You know me bro, yes i have. In the scientific world there isnt alot of evidence or findings on the tails of dinos. They only know about the structure of them, but not about their use. Example: we all know that some lizards like Iguanas will "drop their tails" (as they will grow back), and others use it as a weapon.

So for now im using the jurassic park type idea that they would sway side to side horizontally/vertically, and i have some dinos that use them for weapons (stegosaurus, ankylosaur, etc.). Im also going to adjust them a bit more later on, to add variety. So far no problems, and i have alot of control over the tails movement, basicly i can make them move any way i want.

Antypodish likes this.
  8. warthos3399

warthos3399

Sup guys :) You all remember my Protoraptors, they are alot bigger than velociraptors, which in reality were no bigger than a dog, or a turkey. Per the conversation with Antypodish, ive added in the tail animation for them, but, their tails wave vertically.

If you study scientific facts about raptors, it only makes sense for the tail to wave up and down. So heres the eye candy, still needs a bit more adjustment (i havent done movement/animation yet, just tail), but looking very cool, and different:

9. Antypodish

Antypodish

Here is a thing, which makes me feel, that your current tails movement feels odd however.
    Relatively massive tails, in respect to body size in animals, act as balancing tool. Specially 2 legged raptors, o tRex. If the indeed sway so much, either side way and up and down, they wił destabilise their balance.

Kats tend to sway tails, when sitting.
    Dogs wiggle tails when happy.
    Monkeys for example use tails as well, to hold againt branches.
    Crocks use motion of tails to allow better swimming.
    Birds, closest to raptors, use tails to direct flight and they rather keep steady, when sit on branches.
    Even brontosaurus and diplodocus massive tails, are balancing tools, to counter their massive necks and heads.
    So I can not imagine, they did sway as much.

By all means I am not an expert in tails :)
    These are my pure observations.

Well, for visuals aspects it may look cool however.

warthos3399 likes this.
  10. warthos3399

warthos3399

Totally agree, its fact that tails were used for balancing, you can tell that just by looking at their mass and shape, but mostly during running. Much like big cats of today. Once all the tail animations are done, ill be making a final pass to fine tune.

Personally, i think jurassic park tails move too much, but look cool. Im looking for a balance between JP and more scientific.

11. warthos3399

warthos3399

Been working on the dinos alot today, made an audio pass, more animation/movement passes, and environment work. Heres a SS of level 5, which is a night time level, really shaping up!

Deckard_89 likes this.
  12. warthos3399

warthos3399

Heya guys, i spent today adding a new feature...juvinile dinos. Only certain species will have them. Heres a SS of Carno, with his son, had to adjust the pitch for the roar, and all movement/animation had to be adjusted, as hes so much smaller:

13. warthos3399

warthos3399

JE is very different now, but really good, far better. Every level has its own feel (lighting, skybox, audio, particle effects, etc.). Theres day, night, sunset, sunrise, etc., so levels are being developed with this in mind. Ive done alot of work to the dinos themselves, but theres still more to be done.

To me, this is the most important and critical phase...game-wide fine tuning, and the most fun. Being able to play the complete game, porting from level to level, killing dinos, taking in the great environment, and its storyline, is so damn cool, lol. Heres a video of Gigantophis (giant sanke), (the tail animation came out great!) at night time:

14. warthos3399

warthos3399

Lots of work done, and will be working on the combat side of JE for the next few days. If anyone knows of a good video capture prog, let me know. As the current one i use, doesnt like the high FPS that the game plays in, and not very performant. Heres the new changes:
    • Juvinile dinos added (kentro, ovi raptor, and carno).
    • level 2 and 5 are night levels.
    • Alot of dino movement and audio passes.
    • Started dino combat passes (dmg, health, movement).
    Heres a vid of a run through level 6, in its current state:

15. warthos3399

warthos3399

Ok, what ive been doing lately, is a vision of the best JE builds/prototypes. Prototype v2 had 3 levels which were very well made. So ive incorperated them into the latest build. Now this is really a test to see if i can integrate the best work done, into a final build.

It would be easy, and wouldnt too long. So ive been testing this out, so just need some time to fully test. Ive always thought that v2 was more fun for the player, and thats more important.

16. Antypodish

Antypodish

Nice birds sounds.Wasnt sure if that behind a window or in vid. I just hoped, no Dino will look into my window :)

warthos3399 likes this.
  17. warthos3399

warthos3399

Sup guys, great news. What im doing is taking the best levels from v2 and the current, and combining them. Now, heres why: some of the levels from v2 (3 of them) were well made and have a real fun feel to them, and fun is where its at.

Ive also looked at other factors, like visual, environmental, and gfx (how it looks, and feels). I have to say, this is killer good, as JE will now have more levels (around 10), which i like, and will have the same nice gfx/PPE like the current version. I spent a few hours tweaking and setting up level 1 from v2, and wow, far better gfx/PPE, and the performance with just a few optimization changes, is in the high 70's.

Remember, as a few have stated here on the forum (salutes Deckard_89)...take your time, do it right, and be realistic. Well with the pandemic, and world unrest, id be a fool to release anything until this all is over, and stable. Do it right?, check. JE has gone through Builtin, HDRP, and 3 prototypes. Im all set, and so is the path, and JE only gets better, the SS's and video's show it. Ill have video soon. Here 2 SS's of the converted level 1 from v2, the Dilo Den, and the Raptor Ravine :)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Antypodish and Deckard_89 like this.
  18. warthos3399

warthos3399

Yo guys, well the actual terrain transfer (with splat map, etc.) to current version, will take too much time (way too many assets). As its actually faster for me to re-create levels 1, 2, and 3, from v2. Ive already started, and video will follow this coming weekend.

Ya know, its so cool to import/set up, and look at a previous project version, and see the mistakes that were made, at that time. Hence the re-create, because i can do way better now, lol. So yes, the fliers will be in (pteranodon, dimorphodon), the cargo ship with Protoraptors will be there, and the T-rex area will be well set up, with the wall to be blown down with grenades...

19. warthos3399

warthos3399

Sup guys, wanted to update on a few changes and additions. Instead of importing other levels, terrains, etc., im going to be adding more levels to the current build (which has 7 finished), only thing that will change is the numbering of levels.

So, this is the newest member of JE, the Protoceratops, he just came out of the dino lab, and ready to rock and roll. Ill also be adding 2 more new dinos soon:

20. warthos3399

warthos3399

Heres the in-dev info on the new level, 8 (level number will be changed later). In area 1, youll encounter Ankylosaurus, 3 of them. Now anky only has 1 attack, as he is a herbavore. but the tail attack is more than enough, its high dmg, hell, the dino is carrying a sledge hammer on the back of his tail, lol.

The second area (you can see some of), will be Dimorphodons, and pteranodons. I loved that area from JE v2. And heres the eye candy:

21. warthos3399

warthos3399

Hey guys, done alot to area 1 of the new level, its mostly done, and will be finishing it up tonight. Ill be starting on area 2 tomorrow, cant wait, got alot planned for it (breakable wall, fliers, and log bridges to fall off of, lol. Area 1 came out great, and the ankylosaurs should be set with their movement/animation in a few hours.

Area 3 will have 2 protoceratops, and like their kin, they are heavily armored, so killing them wont be easy, havent decided weapon for them yet, but will be shotgun or assault rifle. Currently this level is running at 170 fps, so by the time the level is done, it should be around (at lowest) 70-80 fps, maybe a bit higher. Heres the eye candy:

22. warthos3399

warthos3399

Im very proud of JE and what ive accomplished. I know i have something good, something of interrest. And i will improve upon that as i add new levels, and "fine tune" the existing 7 levels. I sent notice tonight to my 24 current students, that i no longer have the time to teach 3d game development. JE at this point deserves my full attention.

The roadmap/workflow still leaves so much more to add, and WILL be done. I now have the time/drive to complete the project. Im adding a few more levels for "gameplay's sake", and so far, looking damn good. I have a "to do" list thats long, lol. Example/partial:
    • Egg nests where needed.
    • Bones, carcass, where needed.
    • Hidden weapons.
    • Props.
    • Dialogue/cutscenes.
    • UI.
    • Promotional material.
    And the list goes on, lol. I no longer teach, or have any side projects going on, only the private lessons from my teacher, (god, i wish i had their in-house engine, lol). Ill keep updates posted as much as i can...

Deckard_89 likes this.
  23. warthos3399

warthos3399

Feels good to have all the time i need for JE. Area 2's foliage, and dead trees, is about done, and will be adding in dinos tomorrow night. 1st will be dimorphodons. Heres a short video of progress, also, if you fall off the logs crossing the high stones at that height, (while fighting pteranodons) you die:

khos and Antypodish like this.
  24. Antypodish

Antypodish

Will character be able to use bow and arrows, or spear too? :)

warthos3399 likes this.
  25. warthos3399

warthos3399

Its already planned to have hidden weapons in certain areas. Spear is possible and ill look into adding it, but bow i cant, as there is a UFPS addon to add bow, but only works with the advanced controller, and i use the HD controller. But ill see if i can mod that addon to work with the HD controller.

Antypodish likes this.
  26. Antypodish

Antypodish

No worry. I wouldn't stress about it for now. Unless you want some temp distraction from main project:)
    Focus on whats most important and fun factor.

warthos3399 likes this.
  27. warthos3399

warthos3399

Ok, ive done alot of work on area 2 tonight, and some changes/decisions have been made, and please remember guys, STICK TO YOUR WORKFLOW, if you stop to worry about every little detail, youll never progress:
    • Dimorphodons have been added in, and set up.
    • Pteranodons added and set up.
    • All custom navmesh surfaces set up on high rocks and etc.
    Now, area 2 and the dinos are all basicly set up. Im going to have to make a custom ragdoll for the fliers, (that will be fun, lol), so they can fly higher and have more realism. But that will have to wait. As i need to get all areas basicly set up (workflow), before i go into details. Next ill be setting up area 3. Heres final WIP for area 2, i like how this area came out:

28. warthos3399

warthos3399

Got home from work, and finished the trees, rocks, grass, and bushes for area 3. From the top, you go down 3 dead trees, to the bottom level. I love how the environment came out, and its not done yet. Ive also added the Protoceratops (2), ill get their AI done tomorrow, and start on animation/movement:

Deckard_89 and Antypodish like this.
  29. Antypodish

Antypodish

Looks quite nice and dense.

warthos3399 likes this.
  30. warthos3399

warthos3399

The last few days, ive been working on GUI. Ill be the 1st to admit, im NOT good with GUI, lol. I understand it fully, but what controller you use, makes a big difference. And i use UFPS v1.7.5. An older version/script.

So trying to get anything to work with older script is a PITA, as i use the latest 2019 LTS build. Worst case senario: i switch out the controller, to the new Opsive controller (1st or 3rd), if needed. So background work continues...

31. warthos3399

warthos3399

Been working on the UI/main menu for the past few nights, and things are looking good. The beastiary is added, alot of work to insert SS's, and adjust all the spacings. I have a few more dinos to add to it.

Heres a video WIP of the UI, starting to shape up:

khos, jamespaterson and Antypodish like this.
  32. khos

khos

I notice you have mac/pc/linux icons on the menu, is that needed? Just wondering about that

warthos3399 likes this.
  33. warthos3399

warthos3399

@khos ...i have the mac/pc/linux icons there as a test, as JE doesnt support consoles.

Sorry...ive been home sick for days (not corona, cold/alergies). After finishing the code mess in the UI (2 reversed functions), i play tested it. Everything was working and was great, but it didnt seem to fit the game, as i was used to it NOT freezing the game when paused. I missed the excitement of where ever i paused, having to make sure i wouldnt aggro a dino, and out of danger. To me, thats a nice feature, and risk.

Just tonight i made that mistake. Was playing a few levels and stopped at the base of a rock to pause, well i didnt kill all 3 dimorphodons, so one came up and kiled me, lol A cool feature, from a mistake.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    Antypodish likes this.
  34. warthos3399

warthos3399

Hey guys, real sorry, im still really sick, again not corona, but i felt good enough to spend a few hours completing the pause menu. If you look at the main menu, and its background, thats where i got my color scheme from, as it has everything from green to blood red, and it matches the colors i used on the UFPS HUD.

The UI is really shaping up, i like it, and as i feel better, ill be deving more :)

khos and Antypodish like this.
  35. warthos3399

warthos3399

Yes im alive, and so is JE. Had very little time to work on JE lately, but i have finished the UI, only need to set up a few functions, and additions to the beastiary. The ending scene, and dialogue is all thats left.

Ill be posting updates this weekend, as ive been busy with background work (bad code, re writing code, etc.). Optimization is big at this stage, as adding UI and HUD effects the whole scene. Only the pause/HUD really matters, as it runs during gameplay, the main menu and loading screens do not.

36. Antypodish

Antypodish

As long you keep up steady progressing, you moving forward ;)

warthos3399 likes this.
  37. warthos3399

warthos3399

Real sorry guys, ive been working alot on UI integration, background code (alot of it is trash), surface decals, and functionality. Nothing i can can show in a video just yet, but needs to be done. Everything in game now has effects from bullet shots (wood, stone, gravel, and flesh), with decal support.

Another thing im working on is the ending sequence/scene. Once done, ill have video posted soon. Im also going to be releasing a demo of the 1st level, so im testing builds and working out details. The biggest thing is hosting, as i need a good host for the demo.

I work on JE every day, its my love, always refining and fine tuning, and gets better each time. So far publishers and promoters that im considering (4 at present time), all have the same answer, "we want to maximize our and your profit, and feel with the state of the country (covid, elections), now isnt a wise time to release".

Well i can understand this, and gives me more time for polish. So this is to my advantage. You may see less updates, but the background work continues, and only makes things far better in the end :)

Antypodish likes this.
  38. warthos3399

warthos3399

Heya guys, ive been working on the end game scene. As youll see ive added the brachiosaurs in, just need to finish off some foliage and lighting. Cant show the whole ending, but heres a WIP SS, only one ill be posting:

Antypodish, Stephen_O and khos like this.
  39. warthos3399

warthos3399

Some of you are quick...lol. The SS shows alot of info, if you look. In the sky is an asteroid entering our atmosphere (burning on entry). This is what we call a "global killer". At the speed it travels, you wont hear anything, only see a bright flash of light, then a destructive wave, destroys any and everything, around the globe...the earth.

Dinosaurs were chosen to be wiped out, removed from the historic record, and by natural selection, or by "survival of the fittest"/Darwin theology... Either way, its natures/gods correction...live with it, or should i say, die with it...

Stephen_O likes this.
  40. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Impending doom, I like it! Gives me a grim feeling, really nice touch given the theme/title of the game.

warthos3399 and Antypodish like this.
  41. Antypodish

Antypodish

So what is the point of the game, if we going to die at the end? If not killed by dinos, then by an asteroid :D
    (Joke of course)

warthos3399 and Stephen_O like this.
  42. khos

khos

I imagine it being amongst dinos should be enough? :)

warthos3399 likes this.
  43. Antypodish

Antypodish

That should be fun sure.
    Or instead, I will play

warthos3399 and khos like this.
  44. warthos3399

warthos3399

lol, you guys are great! The idea of an ending like this was planned from the start (hence the name). Also, i dont think ive seen any game have this type of ending, and wanted something different. Ive had about 15 people play it to the end and they were surprised, and liked it.

Currently im working on dialogue and promotional material. Im still tweaking things here and there, but the game itself is basicly done, sad to say. I also have a few people that want to do the voice overs for free, as they just want the experience for their portfolio. The next part im not too good at, but my lawyer is helping, is promotion and publishing. I could do a Steam release as an individual, will have to see.

Antypodish likes this.
  45. warthos3399

warthos3399

Ill be honest, JE will be a Steam only, independant release, with demo. I have about a months worth of work left, dialogue, audio, some adjustments, etc. I work on JE every day, most now is code, cut scenes, and background work, but has to be done, and takes the longest. Wish i had more to show, but will soon.

A game environment ive developed during my private lessons, i think is good enough for a game, and my next step. This will be announced as soon as im at a point in development where its warrented.

Deckard_89 likes this.
  46. warthos3399

warthos3399

Sorry for the late update, as a good friend on mine, was having alot of probs with his MMO game. Had to impliment/set up, HD textures/mats, into a game that has never had HD before, but is more than capable of doing so, even though its a 10+ year old game engine. Result?, very good, a bit more taxing on the GPU, but worth the tradeoff. Ill leave the server/client side networking to the rest of the team.

While doing background work on JE, ive been play testing alot, of every level. One dino that came out exceptional is Gigantosaurus. I just love how his movement came out, not the best, but damn close. I spend hours watching the dinos walk around, eat other dinos, etc. but giganto is one of the better ones. His texture/skin, the bend down low, stop and stare, are traits of the lizard family. Some eye candy, right before i shot him (by mistake), and he ate my face off, lol:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    Deckard_89, khos and Antypodish like this.
  47. Antypodish

Antypodish

And you think you got a chance with that knife? :)

warthos3399 and Deckard_89 like this.
  48. khos

khos

I wonder if you can make more realistic type movement by adding puppetmaster / IK or mix of ragdoll physics or similar
    Just run or crouch, hide in long grass? :)

warthos3399 and Antypodish like this.
  49. warthos3399

warthos3399

@Antypodish just used the knife instead of the gun, for the quick video. A knife against him is like a tooth pick, lol.

@khos im experimenting with PM/IK and a few other tools/systems right now in the dino lab.

Working with dinos in this case isnt easy, like humanoids are. The biped dinos i have some probs with, the quadrupeds are hard, and fliers the worst. This is also coupled with the fact i use EmeraldAI. So tonight ill be testing and working things out.

Antypodish likes this.
  50. warthos3399

warthos3399

Sup guys, ive done some optimization the last few nights, and the gain in fps/ms is real good. Heres a piece from my optimization section of my unity bible, but applies to any game engine, as i always say, "if your not using it, shut it off, less is better":

TEXTURE IMPORT SETTINGS:
    Generate Mipmaps: true (make sure to add streaming mipmaps in project/quality settings).
    Max Size: 1024 (adjust as needed for detail).
    Compression: low quality (Lower Disc Size).
    Max Size: minimum.
    Atlas textures: as much as possible.
    Remove Alpha Channel.
    Disable: read/write enabled.
    16bit Over 32bit color.
    Disable Mipmaps for UI.
    Disable Streaming Mipmaps On: decal projector textures, refection probe textures, terrain textures.
    MESH IMPORT SETTINGS:
    Mesh Compression: use agressive compression.
    Disable: read/write enabled.
    Rig: if not using any animation, disable Rig, doesnt need it.
    Blendshapes: disable if not using.
    Normals And Tangents: if material is not using, disable.

Most of all, with models, make sure to reduce tri/poly as much as possible, without bad visual effect. JE is optimized this way, better fps/ms, but with Beautify and PPE's, you can bring out HD type effect (sharpen, and AA most important). Just passing on useful info, (miss teaching), stay safe brothers, the world is a bit off at the moment, lol.

Deckard_89 likes this.