Search Unity

Games (PC) Jurassic Extinction (Released)

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by warthos3399, Jul 29, 2019.

1. warthos3399

warthos3399

OMG, what have i done...Check out the video, i decided to add the gfx update to the carnotaurs before i went to bed, and what i saw was killer good. These are the changes:
    • Specular shader added.
    • Specular and reflection support added on material.
    • Mip map streaming enabled.
    • Texture res increased to 4096.
    Cant wait to update ALL dinos, will be looking nice!. As i always say...it just keeps getting better. If you were right now to go to the asset store, and look up JP Carno, and look at what it is, then look at mine, your head would spin, as mine does. Im very proud of the texture/material/AI work ive done on these dinos, night and day, love it. Heres the eye candy:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    Stephen_O likes this.
  2. warthos3399

warthos3399

Heya guys, Been working alot with not much dev time, but trying. This pandemic is crazy. Ok, first off i finished the dimetrodons AI last night, looking good, and all dinos texture/mat update is done. Now onto a bit different news...

The other bigger game studio devs i know, turned me onto Deferred Rendering a while back, and love it, most studios lately are/going deferred. Was thinking about HDRP. So when i got home, i dug in. I notice the lack of working wind, speed tree support and a few import (yes even after conversion) mat probs. But ive already worked around most of those probs.

I need to talk to the devs i know, as i have questions regarding HDRP. Im sure im about to be "schooled" knowing them, lol. I know quite a bit about HDRP already, kinda like it, and i have things working in it, that i was told i couldnt.
    Im using 2018 4.2f1 (LTS) for JE, and even at this early preview version, i can do alot with it. If i were to do a project with HDRP, id update. Im keeping JE the way it is, and progressing. But good to learn/utilize :)

3. warthos3399

warthos3399

Sup guys, umm, schooled is an understatement, lol. I had to take notes, as it was way too much info to retain in one shot. Got home , fired up the rig, and heres a SS of 30 mins base work with HDRP, from what i could remember/process.

Running at 60+ FPS, full PPE, 4k textures. Lighting is way off, too bright (effecting the trees, and shadows), lack of skybox/sky/procedural sky, (no visable clouds), etc. But for 30 mins work (Gaia terrain, import and set up of fallen trees, conifer trees, ground textures, and rocks), not bad for a base shot:

4. warthos3399

warthos3399

The weekend is here, and i have 3 days to devote to JE dev, yay! So ill be updating a bit this weekend. Also wanted to show you the texture update added to my ProtoRaptor, i also brought out the normal map just a bit to add more detail around the neck area, came out damn nice, check him out:

5. warthos3399

warthos3399

Did alot of work to level 4 area 1, finished AI, adjusted dmg/speed, added item crate, and added nest/eggs. I also started prototyping out area 2. Heres the latest WIP:

6. warthos3399

warthos3399

This was part of my "being schooled" learning (only part of it). I had to dev a 1024 x 1024 terrain, with built-in renderer, ground textures, rocks, trees, and water (basics), in 30 mins or less, with at least 60 FPS. Heres my result, not bad, wish i had more time, lol:

Was told that (step 2), im to dev the same scene in HDRP, in 1 hour, with comparative or better results. Damnit, lol, think i learned my lesson now...

7. warthos3399

warthos3399

Heya guys, due to the global pandemic, which effects us all in different ways (personally, physically, finantialy), i too have been effected. Ill still post an update here and there, and JE is safe, ill be taking some time off till my country "opens back up". In that time ill be doing the following:
    • Taking some classes on unity (after work, etc.).
    • Learning from some of my dev friends, that are way above my caliber. (good company).
    • Experimentation with JE in 2019.3, in HDRP.
    I need to learn, i want to learn. And thats what im going to do during the downtime. I had a few hours last night, and i converted JE to 2019.3, and it went flawless :) After/during my lessons ive been setting up JE HDRP, and progress is insane. So, i have a new editor/unity version/features, now using HDRP, which also opens ports of JE to X-Box, Playstation, and PC.

What ive learned so far has been great. I have SpeedTrees working in HDRP (2018.4.2f1), and alot of other assets. Heres my problem. These assets are not all mine, so unless i had permission from said authors, i cant just give them out. So ill be contacting them and see what is possible (if i have time, lol). Ill tell you what i did with HDRP 2018.4.2f1 LTS build (dont know about other versions) on the Conifer tree (speedtree), and it looks great:

Once mats are all converted to the HDRP shader (either automaticly, or manual if needed), you must add Alpha Cutoff (0.01) in the mats for any fronds and leaves, then adjust the metallic on your base color/texture (0.7), and make sure to lower smoothness to 0, if not your LODS will look crapy.

Lots of other tricks for HDRP, (i keep a unity hdrp bible file, with everything in it), which i will share as time goes by. Everyone please...stay safe and healthy, nothing is worth the risc of sickness or death, ill have limited internet, but ill pop in here and there.

God bless you all...
    Warthos

8. khos

khos

warthos3399 likes this.
  9. warthos3399

warthos3399

10. warthos3399

warthos3399

My teacher asked a good question today..."Warthos, what do you want for jurassic extinction? Meaning, not what others want, or what you think they want, but what do YOU want?". My brain started to smoke, lol.

I said..."to be honest, all the assets, models, workflow and ideas are set, i can transfer JE to anything, and its still going to look like JE, and my work. What do I want?...i want (as you have taught me) HDRP, with good/decent performance, which adds the ability to port to x-box and playstation, as well as higher end PC".

Mike said, "your theory, workflow, and "pre-optimize/set up things", attitude shows. A good practice to have. Your next step and lesson will be in shader support. We have talked about this...".

Ive learned so much its crazy, hard to take it all in. I have to admit...ive been "weak" (mikes phrase) with shader support. Good news is, JE is now 2019.3.8f1 ported (built in renderer). Ive set up a new server (JE-HDRP), and while i learn, i update JE at the same time. Mike will play it and pick things out that arent "fitting in", then i know what my next lesson will be on. He has also got me into Quixel Mixer, love it alot!.

JE has gone through alot of "learning and development" phases, but as you have seen...its always been for the better. If JE is to be a "good" game", it has to have the best GFX/aesthetics it can, and the best performance/gameplay/story that i can dev.

Ill try and post when i have time, heres my desktop screen shot, its JE's main character (John Paul Dupree), after i finished his textures. This is in the HDRP version of JE, He will now be imported into UltimateUFPS v2.0 (3rd person) controller. The scene is a WIP. Just look at the great details and effects, im proud of that work. Tested a few dinos and they look insane in hdrp:

11. warthos3399

warthos3399

Theres no class tonight, due to electricity is out where my instructor lives, YAY! So ive been told to apply what ive learned in the past few nights, and the result is just awesome. This is the 1st level/scene, in HDRP, PPE, UFPS v2 (not finished), cloudstoy for clouds, gaia generated terrain, wind shader added (speed/strength is set too low), and custom textures. It runs at 80-90 FPS, a very good starting base:

12. warthos3399

warthos3399

Weekend is about over, so heres what the scene is supposed to look like, alot of adjustment, and added in all kinds of scaled rocks. Also if anyone is getting real dark shadows (like in the SS and video above), its due to Tone Mapping (decrease alpha) and shadow dimmer. At some point this week, ill get back to working on it, love how its starting to look:

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  13. warthos3399

warthos3399

Before i go to bed, wanted to share a few tip and tricks with HDRP. Once you start using HDRP you will notice that shadows are way too dark (seen this reported alot), its due to the Tone Mapping, decrease the Alpha in Tone Mapping, also adjust shadow dimmer, as its set too high by default.

The next one is alot have asked if you can shut off Specular support, yes you can. Go to Project Settings -> HDRP Default Settings ->Lighting and uncheck "Sky Lighting" and "Direct Specular Lighting". This Will remove any specularity from the scene. Heres a SS of the same scene in the SS i posted above, but now with these 2 tips added in, look at the comparison, look at the detail and no more light/washed out type look:

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  14. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

Cool tip thank you!

warthos3399 likes this.
  15. warthos3399

warthos3399

Sup guys, had about 2 hours to work today on the project (1hr was class). Grass in hdrp has been a real pain for us...and i cant get a copy of the book of the dead assets (which had a great grass model/texture), so im going to make my own.

Pre-liminary tests look good, but need work, the "square look" (seperate planes) doesnt sit well for me. So ive set up a prefab of 3 differing height, and thickness grass, that doesnt have the "square look", due to angular offset placement. Meaning, set/rotate and place your grass at differing angles, and make a pre-fab for placement.
    Of course, model/textures/mats/resolution, will make a difference quality-wise. With grass, LODs, and base texture resolution matter most.

Ill update with SS or video as time allows, remember... your doing awesome, you can only get better... learn more, and document it all... :)

16. warthos3399

warthos3399

The grass came out awesome, lol. Still needs a bit of polish work, but i like it. Ive also started adding in dead trees, stumps, etc., and they look real good in HDRP, and the last change is, in my above tips and tricks, you can turn off specular support from the sky, or directional.

So what ive done is turn on the directional and not the sky, so that it adds just a bit of specular, thats what i was taught, if you add any specular to your scene, you start by cutting it down by 50%, and add more if needed. You can see it on the main characters uniform, and lights on rocks, etc. Yes the scene needs some hue/color work, as the trees hue is wrong, but thats my class tomorrow night :)

17. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

Looks really cool, i like the stylized look.

warthos3399 likes this.
  18. khos

khos

I would like to see some aura2 in there too, also varied weather / rain / storms, nothing scarier like big dinos chasing you in a tropical storm!.

19. warthos3399

warthos3399

khos my brother, totally agree. Between classes, ive been working on just that. Aura 2 isnt HDRP compat, so i have other great options like volumetric lighting, in HDRP is insanely good, but i cant get ahead of myself, as that lesson (weather and time of day), is upcoming. Theres assets and others that do work in hdrp, if you want to spend the time to re-code a bit, modify, and set up for hdrp. Ill add it, just going to take a bit is all :)

20. warthos3399

warthos3399

I did my 1st hue pass tonight after class, loving the way it looks, just need to fine tune.
    Needed to closely match the textures grass, trees (leaves), ferns, hue. Heres SS's, ferns
    and dead trees added, and the 1st hue pass:

21. warthos3399

warthos3399

Its time to add dinos, i cant wait any longer, its driving me crazy, lol.

1st encounter is planned to be raptors (Oviraptor, velociraptor, or protoraptor).Tested
    them all, remember the SS of the protoraptors?, look at the color. Perfect fit for a forest
    environment, which is what this scene is. Heres what protoraptor looks like in HDRP:

22. warthos3399

warthos3399

Added in dilophosaurs and protoraptors (AI, shaders, mats), alot more scene work (fog, lighting):

Stephen_O likes this.
  23. warthos3399

warthos3399

Well after over a week of being schooled, and my testing results, i really like HDRP, alot. Ive decided to convert JE to HDRP (in process as we speak). Will take a bit as thats 4 levels (scenes) worth to convert over. Ill spend tonight and tomorrow after work, converting mats, removing unsupported assets, changing shaders and getting it all set up.

If things go nice, then ill just continue on with work where i left off. If not, then ill be starting from the latest HDRP JE test scene and go forward. Even if i use the HDRP test scene, wont lose much time wise, as its already set up for JE anyway, lol. Also when that scene was finished, it was running 70-80 FPS, with full PPE, volumetric sun shafts, etc.

Either way, and even with this pandemic going on, i have arranged my lessons, full time job, and personal life, so i can devote alot more time to JE. The updates and work will resume as soon as i have the orig JE ported over, and see next step.

24. warthos3399

warthos3399

Heya guys, great news, porting over to HDRP wasnt bad at all. Im in the process of converting materials to hdrp lit shader (that the auto-converter didnt get), and my custom wind/foliage shader. Everything is there, only thing missing is the grass, which i expected. So now its just convert mats and re-add grass (my hdrp grass, used in the test).

Some things to note: 1st person controllers are a no no in HDRP. So you guys are getting the shiny new UltimateUFPS v2.0 controller (3rd person). Also Aquas2 doesnt support HDRP, so ill be using Crest, another great water prog with HDRP support. Cant wait till JE is fully HDRP converted, gonna look great! Its funny i thought to myself while working, "your really modding your own game, lol", thats what it feels like. Heres a SS, just finished the rocks, ground textures, and kapok vine trees, and got photo-bombed by the dilophosaur, lol:

Deckard_89 likes this.
  25. warthos3399

warthos3399

Just wanted to share another entry from my Unity HDRP Bible:

-Terrain Problem-
    After updating a project to HDRP, OR, importing a terrain into HDRP, terrain isnt showing textures, and looks missing, even though its not:

Answer: The terrain is from a non-HDRP version, so the default shader is still on built-in shader. You have to 1st make sure the textures on the imported terrain are actually there, or assigned (under Paint On Terrain section, Layers).
    2nd, under terrain settings, you need to re-assign your terrain, and then create and assign a new terrain material....now its all back. Ran into this problem a few times.

You might have to look for your terrain, as sometimes its placed wrong during the import/conversion to HDRP.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Deckard_89 likes this.
  26. Deckard_89

Deckard_89

I'm far too scared to upgrade to HDRP :eek:.
    I'm sticking with 2018 for now. Out of interest, what made you upgrade mid-project?

27. warthos3399

warthos3399

Good to see you Deckard_89. Well theres more reasons to use it, than not use it. I for one feel alot more comfortable with HDRP. It fits me well, i love the new systems, volumes, shaders and the way Unity has set it all up, i find that its much easier for me to dev with HDRP, and of course, we all like having better GFX, lighting, and etc.

As far as JE is concerned, it will now have better gfx, more options, and now deving with newer assets like, UltimateUFPS v2.0, Crest water system, and my favorite, custom HDRP wind/foliage shader. Before i was using built-in renderer, and assets from like 2016-2018.

My last reason is this, i was using 2018 LTS, and knew the 2019 LTS would be here,real soon (this next month in fact), and ill be going to 2019 LTS. So by porting to 2019.3 now is wise, as once 2019 LTS is out, my upgrade will be easy, as im already using 2019.3.

I think HDRP is just going to get bigger and better. Even though other SRP's like URP/LWRP are also becoming better, i think as time goes by there will only really be 2 SRP's, URP (mobile dev) and HDRP (PCs/Playstation/X-Box). Im sure the built-in renderer will always be there, but it just cant compete with HDRP and URP.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    Deckard_89 likes this.
  28. warthos3399

warthos3399

If any of the Unity Team watches/reads this thread, i just want to say...Thank You!. The hard work you guys have put into the latest HDRP is fantastic. From the minute i booted it up, and started looking at everything...i felt like i came home, lol.

I may have some SS or Video tonight if i have time, have class in 16 minutes, tonights lesson is on cameras...god help me, lol. I love being schooled, but im a staunch Deferred dev, and mike uses both forward and diferred, guess ill find out why and how :)

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  29. warthos3399

warthos3399

I have finished the material conversion of all the trees. Now remember, when you import a speedtree or any tree in HDRP, on their fronds/leaves material, you need to have and adjust alpha clip/alpha cutoff. In this SS i havent adjusted them yet, just set to my custom base-line, but all trees are in, with no prob (wind support shader).

Ill work on alpha clip/cutoff tonight and tomorrow, adjust geometry, and get them looking nice, then trees are complete :)

30. warthos3399

warthos3399

Ok, ive done alot of base work to the JE HDRP port. Heres what i can remember, lol:
    • Finished the alpha clip/cutoff on all foliage/adjust geometry.
    • Imported and set up EmeraldAI.
    • Imported and set up UltimateUFPS v2.0.
    • Imported and set up CloudsToy.
    • HDRP wind/foliage shader support added.
    • Removed "missing mono scripts" entries on some objects, due to JE build is from Built-in renderer version.
    Now, most of you know, some dont. All changes made are "project-wide". If i make a change to say a palm prefab in project window, it will reflect those changes to ALL palms in the whole project. Saves time. If you look shadows are way off (surprise). Contact shadows have been adjusted by a factor of -30%. I have to set up shadows 1st, as a hue pass will be the next step.:

31. warthos3399

warthos3399

Heres the updates so far:
    • Hue pass was done.
    • UltimateUFPS controller added in.
    • Added light fog.
    • Finished material conversions.
    • Added tall grass.
    This video is of level 1 area 1 converted to HDRP. Now, ive added 1 type of grass (still need to add more), and everything is optimized, most all textures are 1024 or lower, using 5 PPE's, physicly based sky, and only 2 things are new/added, the grass (which was missing) and controller. The best performance i can get is around 50 FPS, and i havent added grass to the other 2 areas. I had better performance with the HDRP Test level 70+ FPS (finished scene). Must dig deeper, lol:

32. warthos3399

warthos3399

While learning HDRP, ive also been working on the built-in version, by applying what ive learned in a HDRP perspective/workflow. This video showcases the following updates (to built-in renderer version):
    • Complete hue/color pass done to all foliage.
    • Dilophosaur material adjustment, to Normal map (more boney type look).
    • Removed current GUI (easy main menu), will worry about GUI later on.
    • Alot of custom shader/mat work.
    Next up is grass support, will be looking into shaders, textures, and mats. The height is good, but the resolution/detail isnt where it should be. This is a more solid approach, then full on HDRP. FPS is at 80-90, which leaves me "headroom" for added systems/features. The video speaks for itself:

Antypodish likes this.
  33. warthos3399

warthos3399

Im taking the last year of knowledge ive gained/learned, the best up to date assets (pre-optimized), and im going to finish Jurassic Extinction to release, and at its best, (thnx mike!). Heres the workflow/info:
    • I miss and love HDRP (and will dev future projects with it), but for more "open world" senarios like JE (unless you use an asset like SECTR and tile stream your terrain), it doesnt really fit performance-wise, 50-60 FPS isnt good enough. (i get 80-90 FPS with built-in renderer). Built-in renderer is the choice, deferred rendering, (forward rendering for UI elements).
    • Gaia will be used for all terrains, procedural spawn of all trees, textures, plants, grass and rocks (my assets).
    • Shader support will be addressed, new shaders where needed/modified.
    • Frost UI will be my base UI (heavily modified), liked it the most, having a beastiary was great.
    • Will be porting/upgrading to 2019 LTS build, (before release), which should be released very soon.
    As you can see ive taken stock in both assets, knowledge, and project. Ive cleaned house, got rid of unused/unneeded crap, and "shaved the fat" off project size. Organized everything, and confident that this is the best route to a release with good visuals, story-line, AI, and "fun" (i was taught that "pressure to release" and. "rushed releases", are very bad).

Tonight i set up the final server (aptly named JE 3), all assets imported, cleaned up/pre-optimized. Im major excited!, more than any time before, with this project :)

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    Deckard_89 likes this.
  34. warthos3399

warthos3399

Sup guys, wanted to share a WIP SS of the 1st level. Got alot done in just a few hours:
    • Stamped out terrain with Gaia, textured terrain, and added trees.
    • Added in the UFPS controller.
    • Added post processing.
    • Set up volumetric clouds.
    • Added in the 1st dilophosaur.
    So far things are working out great, in just a few hours, good progress. This 1st level is called The Valley. High mountains surround the area, with a forest setting. By the time the 2019 LTS version is released, i should have at least 2-3 levels completed. Gaia has been a life and time saver, Opsives new 3rd person controller works flawlessly, loving it, and EmeraldAI will polish off the rest. Heres the WIP SS:

35. warthos3399

warthos3399

Grass and dead trees added in, cant wait for the weekend, so i can have some real time to get things done. Heres a new SS, and running at 114 FPS:

36. warthos3399

warthos3399

Just an info on who i am and the base project. I have a deep voice (been called "barry white" or a "radio personality"), on discord all the time. Im also a musician (play 5 instruments and sing). So taking care of voice-overs, or music/effects isnt a problem.

Also i wanted to start a tutorial video series on 3D game dev, but where i live, internet plans are crazy, and i refuse to pay $120.00 a month just to have good service (highway robbery). So internet not so good here, lol.
    Ive learned so much from built-in renderer to HDRP, and done things i was told i couldnt. Really want to share all this knowledge. So for now, i can only really post/type out some of that.

Example: when i 1st started out, i didnt know the rules for terrain (terrain is a resource hog, memory-wise): Low resolution terrains (128-256) produce great gfx and performance. At a higher scale, Medium terrain (512 to 1024) set up is "okay" performance and gfx, and large terrains (1024-2048+) produce bad performance and gfx (unless you "stream tile" your terrain).

So with Unity its a learning and application method. In my case "3D concept", is a lower terrain resolution (as possible, without loss of detail/performance), and scale.

37. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

It will be sad to see hdrp go, it looked really nice. Do you know how to make the trees be affected by wind in hdrp. I couldn't find out. I'm using book of the dead assets?

38. warthos3399

warthos3399

It looks like your not the only one, came home to 26 messages from the website and here, everyone wants HDRP. Ill run a test tonight, might be able to use HDRP, ill know in a few hours.

Grab this asset off the store: HDRP Nature / Foliage, its got the wind/foliage shader i use for HDRP, its the best one to date, works on anything that has a material, works great on grass, tree leaves, tree trunks, and any foliage.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  39. warthos3399

warthos3399

Ok guys, ive set up a JE 3 HDRP server, imported all assets/systems, and terrain from Gaia. Working real good. Currently with PPE, terrain and textures im at 170 FPS at 5.0 MS. Not bad. Another solution/asset ive been investigating is The Vegetation Engine. This will allow me to have not only wind effects on foliage, but also "touch bend" effects, with very low impact on performance.

HDRP, touch bend/wind effects on foliage, on a smaller scale terrain, so far is working out nice. If im to use HDRP (and its new systems, volumes, HDRISky, etc.) the project as a whole, needs to be scaled back a bit (terrain resolution-wise, and object-wise). This builds more "headroom", and we need that. So if everyone wants HDRP build, ill give it to you, but...its just going to take a bit longer, but i dont mind at all (youve seen the HDRP tests).

Any asset i use in the project is imported, optimized, and then checked with the profiler, and tested for FPS and MS. Not all assets/systems fit well with HDRP, most of the time its modification/custom script changes to get it right. My teacher uses a heavily modified version of Gaia, like the Darkfall dev team does. So ive been taught to slow down, modify assets, and get things into perspective. Weekend is here, SS/video to follow :)

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  40. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

Thank you! I thought I could just add a wind zone with a blend factor for the tree but it doesn't seem to work.

Is there any way to avoid spending any more assets. I already spend $50 and is too much.

We have removed volumetric sky and use standard hdri, with script for moving sun/directional light - performance seems better.

We also not too sure on water script or weather to use for say snow and rain. Again this is big problem with hdrp. There is also something called microsplat but I not sure if it works with hdrp either, or if it does incurs more cost.

41. warthos3399

warthos3399

Well things are going better than expected for a change, lol. Feels good to be working in HDRP again. Heres the update:
    • New terrain added in and textured.
    • Trees are in, wind/foliage shader added.
    • Dilophosaurus, triceratops and velociraptors added (no AI yet).
    • UltimateUFPS 2.0 controller added in.
    ALOT of optimization was done to PPE, textures/materials, dinos, and controller model. Alot of shader work was also done. I spent roughly 3-4 hours adding in assets one at a time, and optimizing them before adding the next. The best news is performance is real nice, running at 90-100 FPS at this point (thats double of what i had before). Heres a short video showing current state, lots more to do, but shaping up nicely:

42. warthos3399

warthos3399

Heya guys, i have more good news, i just added all of the grass to the scene/level, and we are at 85-90 FPS. If my calculations are correct, HDRP should be no problem for JE!! Keep in mind that HDRP isnt easy to dev with, almost everything you do, impacts performance. Thanks to my teacher i had some tricks up my sleeve, and they worked great.

Even if at the end of a complete scene/level im at 60+ FPS, thats good enough for me, and now we can have HDRP (you guys asked for it). Theres not much more to add into the 1st scene, so my calculations read that when complete ill be around 60-70 FPS, ill take it, lol. And theres still alot more optimization/tricks i can do if needed.

HDRP will work fine for the project, i just want a final workflow for HDRP, so i can finish the project. I really only have 1 concern...clouds. As so far ive imported and tried a few, and even modded them heavily, but they have a big impact on performance. Not to worry ill work something out, i always do :)

43. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

Are you talking of enviro clouds. I heard it not working with hdrp.

We using simple hdr map for sky. We found volumetric cloud too costly and same with dynamic weather effect.

Also, may I ask how you manage to understand and use so many 3rd party asset. We have real struggle with using these and decided to code our own. For example controller script, then integrating to own model and animation and even menu ui.

Is it wrong to make these by yourself? Thank u for guidance.

44. warthos3399

warthos3399

Today ill be setting up EmeraldAI for the dinos, adding in ferns, and dead trees. Im using HDRISky instead of volumetric clouds, as they have a big impact on performance (-10-20 FPS). I will say however, CloudsToy was very close to being used, but i had to mod things so far to get it to be performant, that the looks suffered badly. Heres a SS with grass and HDRISky added:

45. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

Hey do you have any idea how to use particles with hdrp? I assume none of the standard particle effects on asset store work.

46. warthos3399

warthos3399

@unit_dev123:

"Also, may I ask how you manage to understand and use so many 3rd party asset. We have real struggle with using these and decided to code our own."

To me its easy, and a process. I learn about them inside and out, to know code stucture, functions, options, and integrations. Ive never had an asset that i cant use or moldify.

"Is it wrong to make these by yourself?"

No its not wrong to make your own assets, controllers, etc., it just takes alot longer, thats all.

"Hey do you have any idea how to use particles with hdrp?"

Particle effects in HDRP are a crap shoot, as not all of them work, but quite a few do (i posted a video of one of mine working in HDRP a while back). All you can do is try them and see what works. Think i have like 5 working out of 14. Some you may have to mod.

47. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

Thank u, I understand there is a lot going on behind the scene, like i know the 3rd person controller is doing many things it would take me long time to understand. But i do find it difficult as new comer to understand.

Yes I see there many problems or hurdles we must overcome using hdrp. Anyway it is all great learning experience.

Can i ask how you make your server? Is using something like socket.io or something or unet?

warthos3399 likes this.
  48. warthos3399

warthos3399

Well learned something tonight i didnt want to, lol. HDRP and NavMesh on proc generated terrains is a disaster, even with the new tools (NavMeshComponents).

So that means Gaia with HDRP is a no no, and yes ive tried exporting terrain to an .obj, and other remedies, which that alone causes more probs. Also the new NavMesh tools dont work with EmeraldAI, Not good.

To be honest, porting to HDRP is wearing me out. I spend more time correcting probs, modifying, custom scripts, then i do building the actual game. I think it just comes down to HDRP doesnt fit the type of game JE is. Ive had success with HDRP in another project, but this one is a downright battle.

49. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

I do have one more suggestion actually.

This guy is using standard pipeline.

Seems to be acceptable outside of hdrp. Might be worth a look at his setup. If you click on video description there is link to assets used. Actually, i consider to go this way myself if hdrp cause me many more problems!

50. warthos3399

warthos3399

I personally dont use multi-player or networking on this project, i have a MMO im also working on (with a team), and currently using a heavily modified version of uMMORPG, which uses Mirror for high end networking, and Telepathy for low end, which the server and client side are together, instead of seperate.