Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games (PC) Jurassic Extinction (Released)

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by warthos3399, Jul 29, 2019.

1. warthos3399

warthos3399

Wanted to post a quick update before the weekend is here. Everything is going great, no probs, everything is working nicely. im just finishing up some foliage and the 1st scene is done. Ive also started on the next scene, going to be a swamp/pond type area with crocs (sarcosuchus) and the fish eating baryonyx. More details/video to follow.

Once the fog is done in scene#1, ill release another alpha demo :)

2. warthos3399

warthos3399

Heres tonights work, and a look into the dev process. In the video youll see the 2nd scene area 1, just started building it. Adding rocks in, nice swamp area, like the feel, Low water level (need to color the water next), going to look great once done, in-dev video:

Further dev details (for those interrested):
    • Started/saved a new scene.
    • Crated a new terrain (set attributes/settings).
    • Set base dirt tecture. (remember, a terrain can only have up to 8 textures).
    • Created/placed main scene-edge rocks (changed collider, was mesh, now sphere).
    • Set up a square ocean plane, adjusted settings to close it in (scale-wise), as tight as possible. Then adjust height, and wave settings (speed, height, direction, etc.).
    • Started adding in additional rocks (all scaled and placed).
    • JE is using Forward rendering, and full AA, HDR, OC, and PPE on camera.
    • Scene runs at 80 FPS.
    I thought of going HDRP, but too many assets would have to be converted for HDRP, and would put JE into the "high end PC" bracket. LWRP really wouldnt benefit JE, as im using 2018 4.2f1 (LTS), 2019 versions have better support for the now newly named URP.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    xplicitgreek69 likes this.
  3. warthos3399

warthos3399

Pre-weekend update. Figured id show a teaser pic of the swamp area to come. Heres the changes:
    • Ground textures set down.
    • Kapok tress added in and scaled.
    • Adjusted water, looking nice, the level is just right, will color it later.
    I love how the area is coming out, looks great, and the detail as a base is nice (smaller scaled rocks, small mole hills in the waters of the swamp, etc.). This is the swamp of Sarcosuchus, salt/fresh water, early crocodile. Will post another video as progress gets closer this weekend:

4. warthos3399

warthos3399

Heya guys, got some exciting news!. Finished scene 1 (which is also the Alpha Demo), and started on scene 2 (area 1). Its looking really good, very good vibe from this area. Heres the update/video for the big croc (sarcosuchus) area:

Dev Info (if interrested):
    • Full PPE, AA, particle effects, etc.
    • Workflow/formula working great, solid base to work from.
    • Scene running at 70 - 80 FPS.
    • Dead trees texture changed.
    Dead trees and water plants will be added in scene 2 tomorrow. Ground level fog will also be added, will enhance environment greatly. also turning animation needs to be addressed.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  5. warthos3399

warthos3399

I have done an overhaul of the graphics for JE. Came out fantastic!, JE is really shaping up and looking great. What a big difference, heres some details:
    • Switched to deferred rendering.
    • AA is now added through PPE.
    • Color space is now Linear.
    • Added/adjusted: AA, Ambient Occlusion, Eye Adaptation, Color Grading, Bloom.
    • Hard shadows, increased distance.
    Heres the video showing the new graphics:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    Stephen_O likes this.
  6. warthos3399

warthos3399

Scene 2 Area 1 is about done, aside from some tweaks. The swamp has 2 sarcosuchus, and i finally got the ground fog look i was shooting for. I now have a solid workflow, and a consistancy across all scenes. This area only took 2 days or less to fully dev. Heres the eye candy:

7. warthos3399

warthos3399

Its been a great weekend for dev. The new area for scene 2 is done, and the new graphics are just awesome, specially the ground and dino textures, they have the best hue/ambient occlusion type look. Im really happy with the results, it only gets better :)

Whats coming? Heres some info on road map plans:
    • Save System for UFPS is now in the project. It also has teleport between scenes function, which i have a custom particle effect ill be using for the "time warp" events that take you to the next scene.
    • Grenades will be implimented, used for blowing down a wall (for example) to get to another area, and can be used against dinos (if you have any).
    • Thinking of setting up small attack wave senarios for dino encounters, meaning more dinos per area. Dont worry, youll have plenty of ammo, and probably more weapons :)
    • The large island itself is littered with mysteries (crashed planes, boats, out of place things/objects).
    • Alot of cutscene/intro/ending video/animation will need to be done (cinemachine, pegasus, etc.). Ugh...thankfully that dev phase will be last, lol.
    Theres alot more planned, all in due time. The performance with this type/style of deving a scene/area is insanly good, dont think ive seen anything below 60+ fps, most of the time its in the 70s. I now have the overhead to add in more for player interaction and better graphics.

8. warthos3399

warthos3399

Progress update: been working on the alpha demo:
    • All controller issues fixed.
    • Dino attack distance adjusted.
    • New graphics update.
    To be honest, ive been playing the Invector 3rd person version of JE, ALOT. I mean, i spent a good 2 1/2 hours playing/adjusting invector, and i have to say...theres just something about a 3rd person controller, the jumping up on rocks, the way it looks/acts when you crouch, climbing things, the 3d feel, in a 3d game. Im enjoying it way too much, lol.

9. warthos3399

warthos3399

Now that the swamp is done, moving on to area 2, heres a SS of the cave entrance, on the far side of the swamp. Just started the entrance, the cave itself will have Compy's and maybe gastornis (the flightless bird):

Think im more excited for the 3rd area: will have a lake and a few rivers, will have the Plesiosaur and baryonyx, and a few surprises :)

10. warthos3399

warthos3399

Its answer time for those who have asked certain questions lately, that i havent answered them publicly:
    • The main menu music, did you make it?: Even though i can (a musician my whole life, multiple instruments), no. Its a track i came across while working on a different project. Liked the riff, so kept it (royalty free, commercial use).
    • What trees do you use in scene 1?: I use the same assets for the whole game (to keep a consistancy across all areas/scenes). Trees are what they call Kapok trees, by SpeedTree. All other plants/trees are by Baldinoboy/CTI Tropical Forest Pack. (both assets are of course modified), highly recommended.
    • What dino models do you use?, they look like JP assets?: Keen eye, yes, most dino assets are JP assets, but heavily modified (textures, materials, and model poly counts (tri/poly reduction). JP assets are good, but only the models themselves, as the textures/materials are way off.
    • Why do some dinos move/turn like plastic toys?: Some dinos i havent had a chance to add in the Spine Animator/Tail Animator by Fimpossible Games, now doing so as scenes/areas are deved. Only acception is Triceratops, having a hard time getting spine or tail animator to work correctly with the Tris bone structure.
    • How the hell are you getting 70-80 FPS with those graphics?: Lol, let me explain if i can...every game is different (2d/3d/open world/enclosed/etc.), but...ive set up a dev method for JE that is beneficial to Occlusion Culling, what we call "blocking off". Its not open-world, its segregated, what is being seen by the camera (OC), is way less with this set up of area/scene dev. Plus im running Deferred rendering, AA added on the backend (PPE).
    • I see you tried Invector 3rd Person controller? Why you not using it? Its awsome!: Yes, it is, a thorn in my side!. As i mentioned in a recent post, i love the Invector 3rd Person, and its really grown on me big time, i feel this controller, more than UFPS, and understand it (code-wise), more than UFPS. Switching out a controller is easy, its a matter of what players like most, 1st person, or 3rd person. But i havent heard much from anyone as to preference, so i dont have much input to make a decision.
    Ill answer more questions as i can, dev work has been demanding, the game is developing very fast, almost hard to keep up with...but as they say, "no pain no gain".

Warthos :)

11. warthos3399

warthos3399

Sup guys, wanted to show the progress made on the cave area. I got it roughed out last night, and tonight i started adding in props (rocks, grass, etc.), the area will be done by the weekend. Ive decided to add Compy's here, and quite a few of them. Heres a vid of the WIP:

12. warthos3399

warthos3399

Remember to look for ammo/health/weapon crates (theres always 1 or 2 per area), its up to you to find them, and create a strategy based on ammo/health resurves.

Example, the last area of the alpha demo (S1A4), has Triceratops, who wont attack unless attacked 1st. So find the ammo/health/weapon crate 1st, then attack the Triceratops. Each area will be different. :)

I have added the compy's to the new cave area, working out great, be prepared for a long fight, there are quite a few of them. You will have ample ammo, but remember, you have a knife...low on ammo, pull out the knife. The new weapon for this area is the assault rifle.

More updates this weekend, currently looking into adding "bones/skeletal remains" to the areas. :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  13. warthos3399

warthos3399

Had to show the new animation update for sarcosuchus. The turn animations are now adjusted, and i added a 3rd sarco, 3 total:

Stephen_O likes this.
  14. warthos3399

warthos3399

Been working on gameplay/player systems, as well as the 2nd scene, should be an interresting weekend. Heres the new changes for scene 1 (alpha demo):
    • Player starts with all weapons (handgun has 1 clip, all others empty), accept grenade (a pick up). Ammo is what you need to find. Different areas will have different ammo.
    • Ammo and health pickups do not respawn.
    • The player drops nothing when he dies.
    • Another raptor has been added in, now, 4 total.
    • Animation adjusted on triceratops.
    Scene 1 (alpha demo) is an intro to the game, the 2nd scene is where it ramps up. I have set up multiple groups of dinos, example: the compy cave has 5 groups of 1-2 compys, etc, (more dinos, ammo, and fun :)

15. warthos3399

warthos3399

Ive spent the last few hours setting up audio/sound. Alot of the alpha testers reported sound/audio was off, as i hadnt had time to set up audio. Now corrected:
    • A new mixer called Dino Mixer added in, which contains all the seperate channels for dinos, per-species.
    • Another new mixer added called GameplayMixer, which handles menu music, player fx, amibient sound, UI, etc.
    • Changed compy idle sound, to fit size/scale of body.
    • Decreased ambient audio.
    • Decreased footstep audio.
    Next up is damage settings on the new areas (sarco and compy). Hopefully by weekends end, i can get some time to add carcass bones. Currently working on cave interior, new ground texture (moss based rock), carcass bones, and pre-testing of grenade throwing to blast down rock walls :)

16. warthos3399

warthos3399

Scene 2 area 1 (swamp) is finished. The compy cave is almost done, its a cave, not much in caves. Will be complete begining of this week. Here the changes:
    • Blood particles adjusted.
    • Carcass bones added to all areas that have carnivores.
    • Added in dino eggs/nests, for the dinos.
    • Corrected prob with particle effects not working with EmeraldAI.
    This week ill be working on the 3rd area. It has a lake, a few rivers, maybe a waterfall, etc. Plesiosaurus will be in the lake, Xenacanthus (prehistoric shark) in lake and rivers, and Baryonyx the fish eating lizard by rivers. Heres a vid of current progress (NOTE: im "untagged" so i can run around freely):

Stephen_O likes this.
  17. warthos3399

warthos3399

Started work on the 3rd area today, got alot done. Compared to the rest of the areas, this is a big one, you will have multiple encounters here (5 species). The assault rifle is the new ammo for the area. Heres a teaser SS (WIP) of the area (foliage going in as we speak):

18. warthos3399

warthos3399

Scene 2 Area 3 is looking real good. Hope i can remember all the work done, lol. Here the changes:
    • Added Baryonyx (x2), one on each side of the river (that you have to cross).
    • Added Plesiosaur to lake.
    • Added in all foliage to the entrance (see video).
    • Added galleon ship.
    • All EmeraldAI set ups done.
    All foliage for the whole area will be done by end of week. Still have to add 3 more species. Boss of this scene will be the Carnotaurus (x2). That will be the next/last area of scene 2. Heres the finished entrance (WIP) to the area:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Antypodish likes this.
  19. warthos3399

warthos3399

Heres how i dev an area like this (in this order):
    • Create terrain base.
    • Outline with walls/rocks.
    • Add kupok trees, on top of rock formations.
    • Add terrain textures.
    • Add differing heights of grass.
    • Add dead trees.
    • Add additional rocks of differing scale.
    • Add ground plants, scale.
    • Add normal plants, scale.
    • Add palm trees, scale.
    I have set up the above work-flow, that can be applied to any type of area. This means consistancy across all scenes/areas. @75+ FPS (diferred/PPE). Big thnx to Baldinoboy for the Tropical Forest Pack, my backbone :)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  20. warthos3399

warthos3399

The new area has two halves, one side of the river/lake, and the other side. I got 1 side done tonight (accept ferns). Wanted to show the progress so heres 2 WIP SS, 1st is view from 1 side, other is the Baryonyx, for a plain colored dino, the detail is great, with hue and sharpen adjustment to texture, looks good. Theres 1 on each side of the river, nasty...lol:

Just a tip for some... look close (chest or "grey color" closely matches the rocks grey color, and the green is just a darker shade of foliage color), the hue/color of the dino "fits in" with the scene itself. No matter what type of game you develop, make sure characters and AI in your game "fit in" with the scene itself. If not, it looks horrible.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  21. warthos3399

warthos3399

Got the ground and basic foliage done on the other half of area 3. Heres a WIP SS showing that added foliage, and the other Baryonyx. Hoprfully i can get enough done, so i can start work on area 4, the final area of scene 2. This will be your 1st real boss in JE. Theres actually 2 of them (carnosaurus). Very big, lots of health, and hurts like hell when bit.

This weekend will be very busy, plans are to add Aquas2 for water, add Xenacanthus (early shark), add Gastornis (flightless bird):

22. warthos3399

warthos3399

Before i start dev work tonight, i wanted to explain some of the layout/story line, so that you see how its set up;
    • Intro/cut scene, you (military) and 2 others are flying back to the US from costa rica, when the planes engines start to fail. Pilot/voice over: "better bail, shes going down!". You and the others jump out of the plane...
    • You wake on a jungle island somewhere. You/voice over: "this isnt the ocean? we jumped out over 100's of miles of the ocean?"...
    • You begin to investigate the area. You have all your weapons, but the pistol is the only thing with ammo. You soon encounter the Dilophosaurs, You/voiceover: "dinosaurs? where the hell are we?". As you continue on, you come across a crate, with ammo on it...
    • Most encounters are set up in that manner, theres always crates to find, with, ammo, health, and etc...
    • In scene 1 you will find one of your flight mates dead, and decomposed down to a skeleton, but wearing recognizeable items. You/voiceover: "omar?, but we just landed here? Decomposed?, what the hell is going on!"...
    • Wanted to mention this, scene 2's boss fight is with 2 carnotaurs, ive already tested it out and its awesome, lol. They have alot of health, really big, they hurt like hell when ya get bit, a long fight, with lots of ammo, pretty damn fun...
    As you can see JE will have lots of story line driven cut scenes, and voice overs, but they wont be long ones, I hate long cut scenes. Theres many surprises coming, heres a few: Grenades to blow down rock walls, and kill dinos with, Hidden rare weapons, new characters in the storyline to interact with, and an end of the game, thats truely the end. :)

jamespaterson likes this.
  23. warthos3399

warthos3399

Finished all the foliage for 3rd area. Looking nice, adding 2 more species as we speak, and will add Aquas2 later tonight:

24. warthos3399

warthos3399

The weekend is in full swing. Scene 2, area 3 is done. Only thing left is underwater effects/caustics. Heres the updates to the area:
    • Sand texture added to water ways.
    • Final foliage finished (palms and ferns).
    • Added Aquas2 waterplane (adjusted).
    • Tail animator added to baryonyx.
    • Xenacanth (early shark) added in.
    • Baryonyx turn animation adjustments.
    • Final item crate added in.
    • Ratio for dmg, ammo, health, and dino, adjusted.
    The baryonyx have givin me the same probs as in JE1. They look great, etc. but setting them up in EmeraldAI has been a chore. Its like they fight me, lol. Heres a short vid to show Gastornis (flightless bird), Plesiosaur, and Baryonyx:

Stephen_O likes this.
  25. warthos3399

warthos3399

My view for the weekend, lol:

26. warthos3399

warthos3399

Scene 2 area 4 is done, its a woodland area, and a boss area. Just need to adjust dmg/health/ammo ratios to the carnosaurs. Also done in area3 was added Aquas in, added undewater caustics, wet lenz, etc. We are now at the end of scene 2, and we are still at 70+ FPS. Heres the latest info on area 4:
    • Created terrain, added in, gound textures, grass, rocks, and rock walls.
    • Added dead trees, conifer trees, and ferns.
    • Carnotaurs added, set up AI, and adjust animations.
    • Added pick up crate, health and ammo pickups.
    The area itself turned out nice, still some tweaking/adjusting to do. What i like about scene dev in JE, is the addition of planes, boats, ships, subs, etc. It gives the player something to investigate, some fun, and you shall be rewarded. Additional/hidden weapons are almost ready :) Ill give you a hint... have you ever wanted to melee down a dino, instead of shoot it?... yes melee weapons are being added. Heres the area 4 video:

27. warthos3399

warthos3399

Heya guys, some info... i started working on level 3 (calling them levels from now on). Spent some time to set up all the basics. I decided to take tonight as a "brainstorming/organization" night. Everything i do is from a storyline/plan sheet, with all kinds of game data thats written out.

So i organized it, trimmed the fat, adjusted, and have a more solid base plan/storyline for the coming levels.

Im working on level 3, and my plan is for around 6-7 levels, so level/area dev time wont be bad at all. Each area dev time is roughly 2-3 days, as long as ideas for areas keep coming, lol. More info/SS/video to come...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  28. warthos3399

warthos3399

Started work on the 1st area of level 3. Ok, so you wake after being transported from the last level, to a cargo ship. In all levels you will have at least 1 anomaly (boat, plane, ship, sub), which are ships and planes that have disappeared in the Devils Sea. Example, level 1 has a crashed plane, level 2 has a wooden brigantine ship, etc.

Now, this area idea ive had for a while. Dev'ing a scene like this is different. Due to the scale/size of the cargo ship, i now have to build the area around the ship. Ive also had to customize the ship (add colliders, remove some, change textures, remove other parts of the model, Navmesh the deck surface, etc.). You will encounter dinos here (plan is to create a new species of raptor called "Protoraptor", different size, color/texture, and behavior), if you look in the SS, the player is in the lower left part of the deck, item crate is top right, close by.

Website/Unity Forums update: You may see in my real early posts, missing screenshot's. I cleaned house of older pics of earlier versions of JE. Heres the SS of the ship, look at the characters size, then the ship, lol. Going to be a good fight area:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  29. warthos3399

warthos3399

Heya guys!, level 3, area 1 is looking nice. After your fight with the proto-raptors on the cargo ship, you end up on a beach. Now im sort of re-creating the beach scene in JE1, and the bad boys of that area was the OviRaptors. So once done, this area will be a blast to play, lol.

OviRaptors are bigger than the normal velociraptor, and adorned colorful feathers. But...OviRaptors were even more of a pack-hunter than velociraptor, tighter formation and co-ordination. You WILL have more than 1 on you. SS with only rock walls and kapok trees, should be done by weekend:

30. warthos3399

warthos3399

Before i start the weekends dev work, i wanted to share some info on JE's latest addition...the ProtoRaptor. In the attached SS below, you will see on the left, a correct scaled velociraptor. Velociraptors were only the size of a modern day turkey. Not what you see in jurassic park. I gave the raptors a green hue, as it would aid in blending in (hiding) in the long grass, etc. Now the protoraptor has adapted to more of a bark brown color, can blend in with trees, etc., as they dont have to hide, theyre pretty big.

The protoraptor on the right has a bigger scale, different texture, different vocals, and different movements/animations. I will be working on the protoraptor tonight, and will post a video of the progress, and resume level dev tomorrow:

31. warthos3399

warthos3399

Had time to shoot a vid of the Protoraptors earlier today, WIP but they are working out great. Theres 6 on the deck. Im working on the beach right now, and ive expanded it a bit more, looking nice. Heres whats done so far:
    • Changed main body texture (hue/sharpness).
    • Complete re-do of inside mouth textures (hue/sharpness, tongue, teeth, roof/bottom).
    • Added new call sound, added proto's to the audio mixer.
    • All animations added, had to adjust for the incline/angle of the ship.
    • Added animation events (sound and damage).
    Here they are:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    jamespaterson likes this.
  32. Antypodish

Antypodish

Shipping dinos abroad in containers?:)
    I am not sure this is legal.

warthos3399 likes this.
  33. MeadowGames

MeadowGames

Hi Warthos3399, nice job on the video. The new protoraptors textures look more intense especially the scarlet orange color eyes. What is that the player is holding in his hand? It looks like weapon but can tell? Keep up the good work! Also if you'd like a little inspiration I found a YouTuber who uploads Dino monster sound effects if your interested. http://tiny.cc/dinoSFX

warthos3399 likes this.
  34. warthos3399

warthos3399

Lol, good to see you bro. Did a test last night, they killed me 5 times, lol. Gotta adjust their dmg, 50% dmg per bite!, ouch!.

@MeadowGames Ive seen his effects, here and there in my searches, but...not sure of the legality of said sound effects. But... i have a very large database of dino effects (commercial license), and can modify (Audacity) any effect pitch, length, etc. so ive done pretty good overall, and audio/sound, is now being worked on (across all levels).

Hes just holding a knife, when i dev, i dont really pay attention to what weapon i have.

Each dino has their own dedicated channel in the "dino-mixer", i also have a "player mixer", and "UI mixer". And Thnx!, yea i liked the scarlet orange best too. I tried a few other colors, but didnt really fit. I really like the black stripe pattern on them.

Antypodish likes this.
  35. warthos3399

warthos3399

This is the beach area in level 3, WIP as im at the stage of adding plants, small props, and then onto palm trees. You guys know my dev style, and can picture it :)

Dev Info:
    Some may say im crazy, but for this game i have hand placed all assets, and no, not using Vegetation Studio (even though i have it), or any other asset. I believe in learning the hard way 1st., it makes the easier way...well...really easy, lol.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  36. warthos3399

warthos3399

Ive pretty much finished the beach area, and ive added the Oviraptors, they looking great and performing nicely.
    • Important note about this level and coming levels. The dinos (certain species, like raptors) now can hide, they dont wander, they are stationary, you might hear them, but you wont see them till its too late.
    Wont tell you where they are, but they scare the hell out of you. The beach has 7 oviraptors, dont aggro too many, remember...WIP footage:

37. Antypodish

Antypodish

I would love to see UI text hovering above pointed at dino, saying some info, for example type of dino, maybe its state of aggression / neutrality toward you, or known, if not yet researched. Not numerical values as such, but maybe healthy / wounded / dead / ( sleeping ? :) ) state. Some kind of stuff like that.

38. warthos3399

warthos3399

Nice idea, have thought about it myself, i have been working on that, on the side. State of aggression wouldnt work, as 90% are aggressive species. But i agree, some sort of ID needs to be set up.

I also have a "warning" system set up for the dinos. So i want to integrate the "warning" system into the UI system. Meaning, like you said, you come up on a dino, and 1st he displays a warning sound (growl, call, etc.), then some info in the UI. The best course of action is a health bar. Lets you see how much health your enemy has left. So i say, start there 1st. :)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  39. warthos3399

warthos3399

I really want to take a few minutes and reflect on JE in its current v2, and the previous v1. JE started out as a "JP Fan" based game. (non-commercial, due to IP, etc.). It was great, large open world survival. After a couple weeks of proto-typing, i saw the real potential in the idea/vision. I decided to develop a commercial game with a different story line, and release it to the public.

During the process i learned different plug-ins/systems and only went for/used, the best, top notch asssets (EmeraldAI, JP Assets, UFPS, CTI Tropical Forest Pack, etc.). Version 1 of JE was a open world senario, which during optimization, was more than a challenge. I did well, even with a 2048 x 2048 terrain, with thousands of trees, rocks, vegetation, i still got around 55-60 FPS. Not good enough for me.

Even though all my assets are pre-set up and optimized (all textures/mats/batching/instancing, etc.), the better choice is a "blocked off type" way of dev'ing. You use anything, walls, rocks, buildings, trees, etc. to block off view to areas you dont need to see or render. This works great for occlusion culling, and more.

So v2 was born. I sort of recreate certain places from v1, into v2, different look, but same set up. Level/area dev time is alot faster with a good work flow. v2 has a more refined feel to it. Heres why (pointers)...
    • Always use Linear color space.
    • Use deferred rendering (deferred rendering, is a trend in the big studios lately), and add your AA on the backend, (PPE).
    • Set up your PPE.
    • With all assets pre-set up, all you have to do is place, and scale.
    • Always set up what i call, Collider Walls, around your whole area, so players cant get outside of gameplay area.
    • Dont forget about "small details", like small scaled rocks, differing ground textures, small scalled plants and trees, etc. Variety wins.
    So v2 is at its 50% mark, i plan on having 6-7 levels, with expansion/new dinos/features planned. This work flow has worked out great. I really want to thank those who have supported JE and my work. JE has come a long way, and v2 shows it. (yes, grenades are coming, i promise, lol).

Antypodish likes this.
  40. warthos3399

warthos3399

Some good news, ive switched the blood particle effect. Im now using UFPS's surface identifier system. Looks alot more realistic. Ive been working on the protoraptors alot, and they seem pretty well set up.

Oviraptors in the beach area are done accept for setting dmg up. Heres some alpha footage of the protoraptor fight i had earlier tonight. Tough as hell, and hurts alot if they hit you, you have to take them out 1 at a time, even 2 on you is too much. Theres plenty of ammo (as you can see), cause your gonna need it:

Stephen_O likes this.
  41. warthos3399

warthos3399

Hope everyone enjoyed the protoraptor fight video, was alot of fun. For a hybrid species, i think i did pretty damn good. Sorry guys, i have to throw you into the fray, lol. Area 3 of level 3, ive decided will be a Pteranodon (or pteradactyl/pterasaur) area.

Now the dino i use is the pteranodon. Fact is, they actually prefer ground prey, heres why... they attack on the ground well, AND they can fly up a bit and air attack. So im setting up an area that fits them, so far looking good. We will see how they (AI) act, once the area is built enough to set-test them. If all goes good, this will be a hella cool area to fight in, info to follow :)

42. warthos3399

warthos3399

Im excited for this area (level 3 area 3). I love the baseline for the area, as it ties
    into the next and last area of level 3. This is going to be awesome once finished (i can
    see it already) with all plants, trees, rocks, grass, etc. Heres a in-dev WIP shot of the
    baseline of the area:

Antypodish likes this.
  43. Antypodish

Antypodish

Oh nice funny looking bridges.
    Below dangerous fast river with piranhas, or few raptors and rexes? :p

warthos3399 likes this.
  44. warthos3399

warthos3399

lol, stop giving away secrets :) Like i said "WIP/in-dev SS" (no textures on rope bridges, but i set them up with physics support). Hmmm...you might have something there. Right now you die falling off at that height, but...terrain/floor and UFPS damage (impact/death) settings could be modified, to say...support that type of senario. Not piranhas, Xenacanth (early shark) would be best choice.

Id have to work out the logistics/etc. Example, you fall down, fight things, but cant leave, cause the exit is a level above you on the rope bridges? 2 choices:
    • Create a 2nd exit, if you fall down to the base level.
    • Create a way back up to the top level.
    Ill hit the creative "chalkboard" and see what i can come up with for that type senario. But right now, dealing with multiple pteranodons in this area is plenty fun by itself, and demanding. You are invading "their space", "endangering their young", they wont have it.

Antypodish likes this.
  45. warthos3399

warthos3399

Spent a few hours working on area 3, really like how its developing. Heres the update for tonight:
    • Wood texture on bridge wood, planks, and posts added.
    • New species of prehistoric tree added, the Jatoba Tree, they are thinner, and taller than the kapok trees.
    • Finished all rock walls (2 stages).
    • Started top level trees.
    Ill be working on this area for the weekend, maybe longer if i decide to allow access to the ground level. If i do, ground level will be a very dangerous place. Plan would be add 1 way up and down from rope bridge level, add a river (as its a canyon area, and was planned anyway), and decide what dinos to place there. When you go to leave this area is where the grenades come into play. You have to blow down a rock wall to access the final boss area...the volcanic scene. Heres another WIP SS (entrance view):

On a side note/tip: the rocks used for the outside walls are a rock 2x scaled. When you enlarge, or increase scale, remember, due to being so much bigger, you loose some detail. So check and adjust your resolution-to-larger scale ratio. :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  46. warthos3399

warthos3399

Ok, you get access to ground level, and the stream is in, lol

47. warthos3399

warthos3399

Wanted to show a WIP SS, top level trees are done, added in a scaled pteranodon (for show/placeholder). Working on ground level as we speak:

Antypodish likes this.
  48. warthos3399

warthos3399

Level 3 area 3, is coming out great, the pteranodon's are all added in, still need to adjust dmg ratios, and alot more (WIP), but acting nice. Heres the updated info:
    • Pteranodons added (11, including hatchlings).
    • Ground textures done.
    • Aquas water plane added in.
    • Set up AI.
    • Finished the 2 bridges that lead to the ground level.
    • Added item crates, health pickups and shotgun shells.
    • Fixed navmesh problem on bridges (will explain below).
    Had a navmesh prob with the bridges, where i couldnt navmesh bake the actual planks for a walkable surface, so the ptera's would just stand there, lol. The fix/trick is to create a plane, and lign it up just a hair under the planks and color it black (you cant see or notice it), and navmesh bake that plane. Now you have a navmesh surface for navigation. Heres the update video (dont mind the mess):

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  49. warthos3399

warthos3399

Ok, cinematics/cut scenes need to be started, as its a long process. JE is cut scene driven storyline, and works great. Ive decided on Cinema Director for camera/audio/etc., and EmeraldAI (for actor animations), for my cut scene dev.

Heres the current progress, after waking up, you walk a bit, look around, check perimeter, and think... (voice over) "what have i got myself into this time?, maybe the others are here too?... only one way to find out..." Let me introduce the main character...John Paul Dupree, US Marine, on the way home from japan, last tour of duty...he thinks:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  50. Darrkbeast

Darrkbeast

Hey, just curious why you didn't make that plane on a layer the player can't see? Not saying you should but I would like to know why you chose to color it black. I'm always learning.