Search Unity

Jumping From Gamemaker to Unity3d

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by ANirudhSub, May 30, 2015.

1. ANirudhSub

ANirudhSub

Hello , a complete rookie here ;)
    I have had experience with Yoyogames' Game maker : studio . Unity 3d seems soooooo big and Huge compared to it . can anyone give me links to PDF tutorials for unity 5 ? I find it much more difficult to follow videos and they don't explain much about the ecosystem . If somebody has already switched from gm to Unity 3d could they explain the difference ? I only followed gm's tutorials and found it highly limited in features and creativity .
    thanks in advance .

2. edinsonc

edinsonc

I just started with Unity as well, i also downloaded GM but haven't given it a go yet. How is GM? Is it difficult to use? What did you build with it? I apologize for the sort of off topic question.

3. jhocking

jhocking

When you were using GameMaker, were you writing code in GML or were you limited to visually click together interfaces? If the latter then you need tutorials that will teach you the basics of programming, but if you already know how to write scripts then my book would be a great resource: Unity In Action

4. sadsack

sadsack

I had GM for many years . Then, as most cases it was sold. I got a new computer and tryed to put Gm 8.1 on it. The new guys sad no, I must buy their new MG program. They are crooks. Now that I got that of my chest I have "Unity in Action
    Multiplatform Game Development in C#" It is well worth the money.
    renny

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

Was the license supposed to give you future releases for no additional cost? Because if not I don't see how it is too dissimilar to having to pay upgrade fees to move to newer releases of Unity Professional.

6. sadsack

sadsack

Wake up, I could not use the one I paid the money for. It would not let me open it up. So I email them show all the info on me buying It. They told I would have to pay for me to get it to work again, They said it would be cheaper to buy the new program. That is why I don't use GM. I like the program a lot but can't use it.
    renny

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

It helps if you state things a bit better rather than assume everyone knows how the GameMaker licensing works. Most development tools don't actually have a "Buy Once, Own Future Releases Forever" license.

8. ANirudhSub

ANirudhSub

gm is quite easy to use . but its very limited . it might be better if you used 8.1 instead of sutdio.
    thanks , i will check that out

9. ANirudhSub

ANirudhSub

if anyone else has tips too they would be most welcome

10. ANirudhSub

ANirudhSub

actually , i want ext tutorials , they don't have to be pdf . Game maker had very comprehensive tutorials and i want something like those in unity3d that explain which parts of the interface do what and how to code in c# .

11. NomadKing

NomadKing

Since no-one else mentioned it so far, the Learn Section has a huge range of materials covering example projects, using the editor, general scripting practices and about a million other useful things.

Yes, they are mostly videos not written / pdf, but they are easy to follow and made to a very high standard.

12. sadsack

sadsack

I have gm 5,6, 7, 8.1,They all work but for 8.1. So if I have to I can use 5,6,or 7. I like to have my tutorial on hard paper.
    A pdf file is nice, you can print it out and read while you are driving, low in a fox hole, eating peanut butter and crackers and my all time number one thing is reading a tutorial while I am sleeping. The truth if a hard copy is good.

13. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I recently discovered the "yellow book" on c#. I've not read the whole thing, but the pdf is free online (google yellow book c#) so wrap your head around it. It's looking pretty comprehensive so far, and the author cracks jokes a bunch. As far as learning the editor just jump in there and start sticking cubes in, make em move, give em physics, make em fall down a hill. Best way to learn is to use it.

Edit: disclaimer - I already have been using unity c# for years - there might be better beginner books...

14. ANirudhSub

ANirudhSub

btw , unity runs a bit slowly on my laptop . can someone tell me why this happens ?
    yes , i saw it today . However , its a bit difficult as i cant watch the video and do the same thing in unity at the same time . that's why i requested for text tutorials so that i could read them on my kindle

15. ANirudhSub

ANirudhSub

alright , i managed to scour the documentation and learn something , however , watching videos would still be nice.
    any third party videos you would recommend ?

16. Ryiah

Ryiah

What are the specifications? Or if you don't them, the model number and manufacturer?

17. ANirudhSub

ANirudhSub

well , i have windows 10 home professional 64 bit ,
    Pentium dual core CPU t4400 @ 2.2GHz
    4 GB RAM
    Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    The laptop itself is 6 years old .

18. Ryiah

Ryiah

This is the most likely culprit. It's some form of Intel GMA. The GMA series often had decent features but lacked the speed to make good use of them. The other specs should be fine though.

19. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I've ran unity on worse hardware. You probably have some bloated software that is slowing things down. Check your task manager and see how many running processes you have, and if it is a lot, maybe disable some startup items, and get some services to stop running constantly in the background. Try closing any other software while you run unity too, any instant messengers, browsers, and basically anything you can close from the taskbar next to the clock, so that you can get the most ideal speed out of it.

20. CelticKnight

CelticKnight

I was using the "free" standard version of GameMaker 1.4 up till January of this year and had no problems running the software!

For the OP GameMaker is a good tool for making 2D games after coming from programming in C++ and Java I felt right at home in GameMaker except that I ran into problems with collisions and other esoteric problems that I couldn't solve. One area that really grabbed my attention was trying to create things in 3D, so I had a look at the feature set in GameMaker and found it very limited. And then I tried Unity while I didn't feel right at home in Unity with some perseverance and the help of some books in Unity I started to find my way around - though some of the things in those books were completely wrong - I am starting to make sense of it all.

I learnt a great deal from YouTube videos such as SpeedTutor, Brackeys, and XenoSmash. I also found videos when searching for specific things such as shooting a gun in a FPS type gun and moving enemies and such.

I am about to delve into making a game in 2D in Unity - I'm sure they will be plenty of problems at the start :p.

Ryiah likes this.