Search Unity

Juddering/ tracking lag and double image with Speed trees

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Pryzmeister, May 4, 2015.

1. Pryzmeister

Pryzmeister

Hi all, we are currently facing a show stopping problem using Unity 5 where we are getting extremely bad double image and juddering, along with tracking just pausing for 1 or 2 seconds altogether, although the mirrored images on the monitor are perfectly fine when using the mouse to look around.

through trial and error it seems to be only when i enable trees on my terrain. here is our setup and some further information on the troubleshooting i have performed.

Unity version 5.0.0f4
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Oculus Rift DK2 runtime_sdk_0.5.0.1_win
    ovr_unity_0.5.0.1_lib
    Doing 64 bit builds of our project
    Same result on many machines, all extremely high spec (Nvidia 980 video cards, i7 CPUs, 16gb ram)

We are using speedtree models and i have tried them both with and without smooth lod enabled. Have been very aggressive with the LOD and culling settings, and also tried reducing draw culling distance down to 100 or even less for testing. I have also disabled colliders on the trees.

The Scene:
    Our scene has 4 x terrains of about 13000 x 13000 each
    At first i though the problem was the terrains as i would disable each one, one at a time and do a build to test.. this improved performance until with no terrains it runs perfectly smoothly.

in later testing i disabled the trees one terrain at a time and had the same results, so it seems the trees are the culprit, ie: with all terrains, but no trees, performance is great.

Even though there aren't lots of trees being drawn for example with reduced far clip distance set in OVR camera rig down to 300 with only 1 tree visible, the issue still occurs, although to a lesser extent.. the more trees, the worse the issue it seems.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? this is extremely worrying as we have project delivery in a few weeks and we have no idea why this is happening.

thanks for any help in advance.

2. Khyrid

Khyrid

This problem was isolated by OP but never got a solution, having similar issue. Necroing this.

I have this occurring in one of my scenes too.

Unity version 5.5.0f3
    Windows 10 64 bit
    Oculus Rift DK2 runtime_sdk is whatever the latest one is, I just downloaded it.
    Doing 64 bit builds of myproject

I suspect it is the recent addition of more enemy AIs. Perhaps the level has so much going on that it is causing issues with the oculus. In your case the trees are what caused the issue. It has to be memory related. Did you ever find a solution?

After further testing, reducing the enemy AI had no effect. The juddering and double image only occur in certain parts of the level. Last night I tested the same level with no issues. No changes have been made to the level since the level worked to when problem occurred.

*UPDATE: In the Inspector for the OVR CameraRig, and in the OVR Manager Script, I turned off Use Recommended MSAA Level and Enable Adaptive Resolution. I had turned those two on to test them and forgot about them. I also rebooted my PC, but I think the culprit was those two settings.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017