Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Joystick not capturing events(drag and click)

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Deep96, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Deep96

Deep96

I want to convert the Unity's Survival Shooter game for mobile. I have added joystick using UI->Image and attached a Script to the Image. The class extends IDragHandler, IPointerUpHandler, IPointerDownHandler but none of the relevant functions respond except the Start() function

I also tried taking input from Unity remote app but no luck.

Unity's tutorial said to keep Canvas interactable to be unchecked. Now I have checked it for all of the elements. I have EventSystem in the Heirarchy.Also none of the UI elements are blocking the joystick. I tried sliding the Health Slider and it doesn't slide too.

I can't figure out what is wrong with this game and stuck here for about a week. Does Raycast Target have anything to do with this? Currently its checked for all the elements.

2. guavaman

guavaman

Is there a StandaloneInputModule component on the EventSystem, is it enabled, and are its inspector settings correct for the platform you're testing on?

3. Deep96

Deep96

Currently the Build Platform is set to PC,MAC and Standalone. I did a lot of digging about the inspector settings and various attributes but feel that everything's correct. Will you please have a glance at the settings?

EventSystem
    inspector_event_system.PNG

Canvas
    inspector_canvas.PNG

joystick
    joystick.PNG

Outer Circle
    outer_circle.PNG

Inner Circle
    inner_circle.PNG

4. guavaman

guavaman

I don't see anything obviously wrong. Can you post the code to the Move Joystick? You can also test it in a new scene with just the joystick and EventSystem to rule out scene-based issues.

5. Deep96

Deep96

As you said I tested by creating a new scene and it works. Do you have any idea why its not working in my Main scene?

I moved MoveJoystickBackground to the last place in heirarchy and now the joystick works.
    But there another problem, ScreenFader which shows GameOverText appears below Joystick.
    I dont want joystick to be visible in ScreenFader.

Heirarchy
    heirarchy.PNG

ScreenFader
    screen_fader.PNG

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  6. guavaman

guavaman

No, I don't. It's very common for people to have this problem when they have some invisible image or other component blocking the raycasts. You say none of the UI elements are blocking it. Could an invisible one be? Disable everything you can and see if it works.

7. Deep96

Deep96

Yes, I realised that ScreenFader was blocking all the UI elements. But now theres another problem, I have updated my last reply. I appreciate if you please have a look at it?

8. guavaman

guavaman

I don't know how screen fader works, but why can't you just disable the screen fader game object until it is needed? Leave it below the joystick so it draws on top if you want the joystick to be hidden by it. Your only other option would be to disable the joystick game object if you want it to be invisible when screen fader is open, but that would not work as well visually because it would pop out. Enabling screen fader immediately before beginning the fade would have no visual artifacts and would work exactly as you want it to.

Deep96 likes this.
  9. Deep96

Deep96

Thanks you so much @guavaman

10. Deep96

Deep96

Thanks a lot! Its working as I wanted

11. guavaman

guavaman

I'm glad it works.