Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Jove 2.0: DX11 Rendering System (Alpha Release)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Aieth, Aug 17, 2014.

1. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

He's busy with his own game development as well. I'm sure he wishes he could duplicate himself to work on Jove and his other projects full-time simultaneously as much as we wish he could, too. :)

2. Aieth

Aieth

Yeah, something like that. Jove is at the same my favorite project and the project that sees the least return on time investment.

3. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Yes, well I hope we can see something new in the near future :) right now I think jove needs a few more core features, such as a better cubemap filtering, right now reflections from cubemaps are passable but i still strongly believe it needs an overhaul, those cool image effects from scion, etc

4. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Reached 10 pages now on the wiki, once I got all the basic stuff down then i'll give a link to it. Unless of course you can find it before that :p

Licarell and hopeful like this.
  5. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Hey guys, if anyone would like to maybe help out with the wiki that would be great. I've been quite sick lately with a cold (quite minor), but then I got quite a painful headache to the point where I couldn't talk and was shaking, lol :p but now its not as severe. If anyone would like to maybe help out send me a message thanks.

6. Aieth

Aieth

Just letting everyone that's waiting know that things are moving. I'm now rendering and shading objects using direct light (local and directional) with the sky in as well. I want to emphasize that this is going to take time though, very little renderer code is ported to the new system yet and it's already tens of thousands of lines of code. Jove is not a small project :p

Licarell and hopeful like this.
  7. Polygans

Polygans

Hi, just bought this asset and its broken right out of the box in Unity 5.2.3f1. Both the demo scene and the quick setup guide generate a ton of errors each frame which breaks performance. Please advise.

The error messages are:

Trying to access pass 8, but material 'Hidden/JoveSSRBlur' subshader (0) has only 1 valid passes.
    UnityEngine.Material:SetPass(Int32)

This goes on for every pass.

Edit: also it crashes the Editor when exiting Unity.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  8. zelmund

zelmund

Tried to open jove in 5.3
    have errors in compile shaders.
    fps on test scene is very very low.
    and yes, it crush unity after stop play in editor or if want to close unity

tested in clear project and version from asset store

9. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Jove is currently in a bit of a tight spot, you should try contacting Aieth to solve issues or a refund if needed.

10. Melvin Eng

Melvin Eng

Been watching this thread for quite awhile.
    So what's happening with Jove now?
    Has development stalled?
    I've been looking to buying it for my project...

11. Aieth

Aieth

Hi everyone

Unfortunately I come bearing bad news. Long story short, I'm ceasing development on Jove. The long version is that I simply cannot motivate it. Jove started out as a fun side project next to studying, but ever since I dropped out of school to pursue a self reliant life actually making money has taken a front seat compared to all my other priorities. And Jove never made much, in fact it only made around 5-10% of what I need to make in order to live.
    I'm still developing Scion, and the offer for all Jove users to get free copies of Scion is still valid. I'm sad to see Jove go, but I simply cannot afford to work on it. I hope you all understand.

12. hopeful

hopeful

Maybe you can stick a copy of Scion in with whatever remains of Jove, so we can use the Jove link in the store to know when there is a new version of Scion and download / import it?

Or something like that. :)

niosop2 likes this.
  13. Aieth

Aieth

Doesn't work like that with Unity, it's their store :) They'd decline that update.

14. hopeful

hopeful

Well, pooh.

Is there anything in Jove that can be salvaged? Even something relatively small, like lit particles? Better fog? Something related to translucency / transparency ...?

Unity has made so many improvements lately, even adding their own SSRR ... I'm not sure what features in Jove still count as as a step up from standard Unity.

15. Aieth

Aieth

The things you list were possible in Jove due to different decisions on how to model the rendering pipeline. Jove was made to be insanely flexible, Unity is not. So no, nothing can be salvaged I'm afraid. The SSR could, but there's little point in it.

16. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Hi Aieth shame to here Jove didn't work out for you. How are you planing to give Jove users Scion ? Can you give out free voucher codes for scion so that Jove users can get it from the store ?. If so please send me one. If not it might be worth setting scion as a minimum price upgrade if you already own Jove. I think that is what the maker of Uber shader did when he worked out some of his packages wouldn't work in unity 5. I think he set uber as a 1 dollar upgrade from some of his older packages that wouldn't work going forward.

hopeful likes this.
  17. Elecman

Elecman

I purchased Jove, and would like to get Scion for free too. Let me know how to do this.

18. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Just send Aieth your invoice and he will happily send scion over.

19. Aieth

Aieth

I can't do either of those. You only get 10 vouchers and you can't upgrade from a package that is more expensive to one that is cheaper, the store won't allow it. Unfortunately you will have to send my your invoice and then I will manually send you a download link.

20. hopeful

hopeful

I suspect they will make some sort of allowance if you tell them you are discontinuing Jove. Surely a deprecated asset costs less than Scion ...?

21. Aieth

Aieth

It seems you were right, it did work! Now that it's been deprecated it was possible to create an upgrade. So all Jove owners can now purchase Scion for 1$

braaad and hopeful like this.
  22. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

1 dollar is a pretty steep price is it not?

Anyways was fun to use Jove while it was around :)

23. elbows

elbows

Thanks for sorting out the store upgrade option, it made the difference between me being vaguely annoyed and quite satisfied.

As for having to abandon Jove, I am not shocked by this, and I originally bought it knowing full well that an entire rendering system is likely to be beyond the scope of a very small team to manage and develop further over many years.

24. gameDevi

gameDevi

Thank You :)

25. chingwa

chingwa

I've been watching Jove for a long time and had been very impressed by what I was seeing. It's sad to see development stop, but I can't blame the developer. The scope of work was pretty large to begin with, and having to deal with changes to Unity over the course of development can really add an unreal level of work/re-work to any project.

26. Mauri

Mauri

It's sad to see Jove go, but your reasons for that are fully understandable. Keep up the great work with Scion! :)

27. Aieth

Aieth

I regret having to cancel it, but I'm glad you are still satisfied. Again, my apologies to everyone!

Yeah I've already sunk a lot of hours into updating the project for Unity 5.2, but there are a lot left and given Unity's upgrades to it's rendering capabilities the advantage Jove has was reduced substantially, meaning there was a lot of work to do for quite little practical reward (compared to Unity 4).

elbows and hopeful like this.
  28. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

I think this part is what gives me the most consolation about Jove's retirement. Although I will still lament the loss of eventual contact-hardening shadows. :)

I look forward to seeing the work you will produce in the future. Scion is amazing, and I'm hopeful you'll come out with other great assets to help us all have beautifully-rendered games. :)

hopeful likes this.
  29. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

@Aieth

Sad to hear this, but yeah, it's an understandable reason to stop developing Jove. I was wondering, though - does that mean that Overstep is no longer using Jove, switching back to standard Unity rendering? I thought that Jove was steadily updated internally, for use there, but I guess it's not actually the case.

30. Aieth

Aieth

I dropped out of the Overstep team months ago. I hope for their sake they switched off Jove ;)

Honestly I'm probably not going to create any more assets. The asset market really isn't that large and I never intended to "get stuck" in it for too long. I am currently working on a game using UE4 (low level rendering access is a must for what I'm doing, I prototyped it in Unity but I saw a tenfold speed increase on migrating to UE4. Not exaggerating)

31. Elecman

Elecman

With low level rendering access you mean the source?

32. Aieth

Aieth

Kind of. I'm not actually changing source code, but you get access to things you don't in Unity. If you create a procedural mesh in Unity, all you can do is fill in the available vertex data. In UE4 I can set up my own vertex streams, instance objects and cut the data transmitted from CPU to GPU by more than half. And C++ is just so much faster when it comes to things like this.

33. Elecman

Elecman

You are right about this. The vertex stream thing is a major issue in Unity. The only way to have a fast procedural mesh is have a fixed mesh and change it in the shader. Do it from code and you will be greeted by the GC. I am running into this issue as well.

unityunity