Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Jove 2.0: DX11 Rendering System (Alpha Release)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Aieth, Aug 17, 2014.

1. hopeful

hopeful

Awesome! :D

2. NikProductions

NikProductions

@Tiny Man Hmm, it's shaping up nicely.
    But what are you going to do with it after it's finished?

3. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Share it I guess with instructions. But I might want to add a few more code nodes for things like Fresnel and stuff. Any specific node requests? Maybe I can try and add depth and screen colour too although the base is there.

One more question should I add maybe a module system where you only add the nodes you need I.e. if you don't want normal maps you simply just don't add the normal map code node (although this method requires a bit more work when cleaning up after shader forge compiling the shader)

4. NikProductions

NikProductions

It would be useful and I don't have a problem spending a few minutes cleaning up the code.

But honestly I'm not sure what I could use it for as of right now, I already have almost all the shaders I need.

5. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Yeah I'll get some pictures later of how stuff works. Then .maybe make a more complete instructions.

Maybe @hopeful would like some more stuff

6. NikProductions

NikProductions

You know I just realized something, how did you manage to upload a gif?

7. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Black magic...

Actually just upload like any normal image and it works.

8. NikProductions

NikProductions

I tried that yesterday and it didn't work for me. Probably because gif was too long, or you're just a wizard...

9. NikProductions

NikProductions

10. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

11. NikProductions

NikProductions

I know right XD

12. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Well I have some images now, of how it works.

Pretty much how the inputs work, pretty much you have your core code for Jove and then texture code inputs, I use these to provide an easy way to find the math that shader forge outputs to convert into Jove.

Code is pretty much like this, you can see that Jove Core in the middle, pretty much we keep this and delete the rest(excluding the shader properties), pretty easy.

Bellow is all the math code for the texture input.

Within the brackets are the code for each texture slot, currently I just have a lerp from the main texture to a given color from shader forge for the albedo. Use the code to input into the Jove frag shader.

So copy the node_5577 variable and then the code within the albedo function (in this instance), add in the node and change the UV input,

Also add the uniform _ColourLerp variable to the Jove shader so the fragment shader can identify it.

Bam you have the shader forge code ready for Jove, now just delete all the stuff you dont need now.

Pretty much you get this left, delete everything but the Jove Core, thats where the Jove shader stuff is, then simply remove the Jove Core float3 (bit difficult to explain) You get what is left above. Things like outline are the same but you have some extra paramaters and replace Jove Core with Jove Outline Core (which is another code node)

Maybe first time is a bit confusing but after that its very quick and easy to do.

bac9-flcl and chiapet1021 like this.
  13. NikProductions

NikProductions

I understand, thanks!

I just tested it with a simple shader and it works great. Despite the fact that I still have no use for it, it's really cool!

14. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

No problemo

15. hopeful

hopeful

Aside from the U5 standard shader stuff (albedo, normal, AO, height, emission, metallic / specular, detail, and whatever I forgot), plus outline, I think I'm largely covered. I'm not planning on moving to Jove right away, but outline is something I'd need from the start, so it's good to know there might be a solution at hand.

Some of the Lux stuff might be good to port over, if that's possible, like the skin shader and water puddle shader.

16. NikProductions

NikProductions

17. hopeful

hopeful

chiapet1021 likes this.
  18. NikProductions

NikProductions

Well.., a bit.
    While looking at the documentation, the interesting stuff were the DOF and Motion Blur. And the approach they are using is sufficient enough to maybe work with Jove?

Edit: Never mind, they are not "sufficient" enough..

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  19. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Well if you can make a skin shader in shader forge is should be pretty easy to port to Jove.

20. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

I feel like making a terrain shader for Jove right now lol. Won't be using unity terrain but an fbx or obj mesh file that will be tesselated based on view distance and stuff, also use vertex colours for textures. Anyone want to maybe test it out when I get it done later on? I don't have any terrains on this computer lol.

Things like windzones and stuff will be used with a global texture. Also will try and use techniques like distance based scale and world space textures for it to be extra cheeky :p and of course try and parallax that stuff. Using shader forge :p

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    hopeful, Licarell and chiapet1021 like this.
  21. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Here is the shader so far, have tri planar projection going on, Jove compatible.

Which means no more stretching on objects and no need for UV's.
    Probably do vertex colour blending next, as thats the main part of the terrain (painting it), then some cool heightmap blending between the two. Aieth has an example and there are some internet stuff I found so it shouldn't be all that difficult.
    Kinda used 50/50 shader forge and by hand, shader forge output is quite ugly and unoptimized so I cleaned things up a bit and tweaked as needed.

Past couple of days I've learn't a bunch in shaders, just from reading Shader forge and Jove shader code.

Edit: Got vertex colour blending down pact, might also do a splatmap variant later on. Up next would be heightmap blending so its not a smooth interpolation but a cool looking one based on a height map.

Anyone with a terrain I can borrow to use for this? Maybe i'll just make a super quick one in blender.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    Licarell, hopeful and chiapet1021 like this.
  22. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

23. NikProductions

NikProductions

Looks great so far!

My thoughts other than it's cool, would be:
    "This forum thread is alive again :p"

chiapet1021 likes this.
  24. Licarell

Licarell

AWESOME! Blowing the dust off the Jove forum!!

25. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Update here, have the blending to affect 4 textures (only 3 textures in this example since the model had no alpha vertex colours)

There are sliders for each texture for a height multiplier and also needs alpha heightmap in the albedo. The height maps are made in unity with alpha from grayscale so they're not that accurate but if you had a properly made heightmap it will look even better.

Yes its good seeing this thread with a bit more action. Probably 5.1 breaking Jove being the real killer lol, but I owuld post more if I was with my main computer instead of this laptop lol, so maybe around christmas I will post some more proper things.

Also redone the triplanar combination so now he colours are correctly projected when at 45 degree angles, before they would add up ontop of eachother essentially doubling the value of the texture (making it quite bright).

26. Licarell

Licarell

Well this is all very encouraging, for a while there it felt as though @Aieth was getting a bit burnt out and understandably so, huge undertaking to build a new rendering system and then need to build a lighting system, terrain system, foliage, decal, particle, weather... the list goes on. And because we can't just adapt other mature plugins I'm sure keeps people from pulling the trigger and getting Jove.

It's a real chicken/egg scenario... but as things are added eventually it will hit critical mass (which is my hope)

So any signs of life is well received in my book.

27. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Hope so too.
    My shader is slowly getting their although it's a bit difficult to work on as it does it ruin my frames a bit on my laptop as each texture is rendered 3x for triplanar and not having a lot of vram doesn't help that. Also can't see GPU bottlenecks cos the gpu is that crummy lol :)

Although I'll still try and make some Jove shaders, maybe change course with the terrain shader, gonna look into some other peoples terrain shaders as well for hints lol, although I'm not using terrain but object so its not a 1 to 1 copy.

28. NikProductions

NikProductions

29. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

My foot got pretty injured yesterday so I have quite a lot of time this Friday night to try and finish the shader.

30. NikProductions

NikProductions

What happened?

31. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Playing volleyball, jump up to block, I land on the oppositions foot and my ankle does a nasty twist. Thought it was just a normal sprain but I couldn't put any weight on my left foot and turned out I displaced my ankle. Not too bad but still hurts to walk on lol. Also pulled my calf muscle doing it.

Anyways update, terrain and textures are from skyshop. There are no proper height or roughness maps with this so quality is a bit lower then usual.Shading issues are from bad import from my end. Takes a splat map, 4 texture tiles, global color (rgb color, a AO) and a global normal. Also need to merge the detail normals maps with the main normal map.

Here you can see some of the hight blending bellow, not a straight blend from one texture to the other, the grass kinda stipples across (a proper height map will firther improve it)

Some fog now.

After I fix the normal maps issues and stuff I might do tesselation next.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    Velo222 and hopeful like this.
  32. Licarell

Licarell

Not bad at all... now we need a foliage master to jump on the bandwagon

33. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

m8 im a master of everything, foliage, ez (maybe)

Licarell and chiapet1021 like this.
  34. NikProductions

NikProductions

Realistic trees e.e

Also I started working on hairworks integration and I found one that works with normal Unity.

mite.gif

35. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

36. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Well converting normal unity to Jove isn't too hard if you know the math at the end of the day.
    Normal maps :)

Gonna maybe add a slider to control their strength on the terrain.

Edit: just realised I quoted wrong person lol

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    chiapet1021 likes this.
  37. NikProductions

NikProductions

Yes.

chiapet1021 likes this.
  38. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Good, good....
    I was thinking maybe we can create a Jove wiki or something and have resources online for people. Maybe can boost Jove's popularity.

hopeful and Licarell like this.
  39. NikProductions

NikProductions

Yeah that would be really good, I'm surprised that Jove isn't popular already..

40. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

I love that idea. I think shader work is probably the most daunting barrier to entry for me. I'm pretty bad at math. :p

41. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Gotta be a math nerd m8, thats where the ladies are at. Well really you dont, just some basic math knowledge and art knowledge is enough. I'm not the best at math although im good I would say.
    Also don't have to be a nerd... you can bodybuild and sport while enjoying programming and maths like me, don't let stereotypes get in the way. Although being injured makes that exercise part hard lol.

42. NikProductions

NikProductions

Instructions unclear, the only lady I got was a kiss from my grandma for goodbye ;-;...

Tiny-Man likes this.
  43. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Gotta read the rest of the notes there. Maybe I'll release a wiki page on how to do math and get ladies at the same time.

44. Licarell

Licarell

Sports injury... bad for you... good for us;)

Everything is looking stellar!

Tiny-Man likes this.
  45. NikProductions

NikProductions

Why do you assume I'm bad at math? XD

46. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

And why do you assume I want the ladies? ;) (I do lift regularly btw. :p )

47. NikProductions

NikProductions

I like running and I usually train at home..:

48. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

I hate running kills my knees. Cycling is much better ;)
    Never said you were bad at math but if you don't want the ladies I can get you the guys lol. Just a joke.

Anyway bit too much off topic. Back to shader work ;)

49. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Update: Fixed normal map stuff, had some bad math but after some googling I fixed it and now looks good :)
    New images.

Also added texture tiling blending, so pretty much it reduces the amount of tiling with the textures by merging a higher texel sized version of the texture over it and displacing the UV rotation. The UV rotation and higher texel size helps quite a lot. Bellow is the UV rotation.

Tiling is still visible if the whole terrain is covered with it but with a splat map and stuff tilling is pretty much gone.
    Also changed the height map blending a tad seen bellow, just moving sliders up and down in the example.

Now I think tessellation is next, get rid of those super sharp peaks ;)

Edit: tessellation in Jove is not easy as 123 lol, getting some help from big boss lol.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    hopeful, chiapet1021 and Licarell like this.
  50. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Having fun messing with some lighting and fog in lighting.

Sunset at the mountains.
    Nighttime and foggy, moon in sky.

Might work on some grass next, not shader stuff but some model stuff, give it some more life :p

Licarell and hopeful like this.