Search Unity

Jove 2.0: DX11 Rendering System (Alpha Release)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Aieth, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

I tried it before but it dont be working (but this was many months ago)

2. hopeful

hopeful

I was noticing that DX12 support is expected to make its way to Unity by around the year's end, and was wondering what - if anything - this means for Jove.

3. Aieth

Aieth

I have no idea to be honest. I need more information from Unity. I'm guessing it just, hopefully, means a flat performance boost.

4. NikProductions

NikProductions

Probably not something you haven't been told, but I'll try to explain to my best. After reading through this thread I think that this system is great and is very performance wise. What I was mostly curious about is how do you want to bring foliage, in a reply you mentioned that you wanted to change the way foliage is rendered. I wanted to ask how you plan, or do you have a concept that might create better foliage with good quality?

5. NikProductions

NikProductions

I'm sorry for the second question, but I was curious where you are going with JOVE for the future. Some would say that you are bringing AAA methods into unity to show that it's capable of amazing stuff. I was thinking that you want to revolutionize the way games are created, or attleast make it so the performance isn't suffering from the quality? What is your goal with JOVE?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  6. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

make unity look better I suppose is what jove is all about.

7. Aieth

Aieth

I'm at some point going to make a terrain system. Work has not started on it though and there are a lot of things that need to be done first. So I have no good answer on the foliage thing yet.

I'm part of an indie studio developing a game, so Jove is now evolving alongside that. I'm pretty much making everything we need, and then I'm uploading that to the asset store. So well, the goal is next gen graphics I guess.

8. Licarell

Licarell

Well... if that's the case I sure hope you all need a character shading system:D

9. NikProductions

NikProductions

Thanks for your reply, I'll be looking forward to all the future updates!

10. hopeful

hopeful

Seems like Jove is going to need a Shader Forge of its own.

11. Plutoman

Plutoman

I remember checking this out when I started my project, a year and a half ago. It's made quite some amazing progress since then. Just putting forward some verbal support; I'm far too invested in my current rendering shaders to transfer, but it definitely looks like something I'll consider in my future endeavors.

12. NikProductions

NikProductions

Yeah I haven't exactly known Jove for a long time, but I probably saw it 2-3 months ago. It has made alot of progress from then. I just hope it will have a good foliage system. And maybe a character shader XD

13. NikProductions

NikProductions

If it's not a problem, what is the game about?

14. Plutoman

Plutoman

Just curious - do you have a feature set of what this has, vs what it is missing (in contrast to Unity's core deferred renderer), and what things require changes to be used in this system?

15. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Aieth when do you think we will see the refractoring and fix for 5.1 coming?

16. niosop2

niosop2

I think he said he was going to skip 5.1 and just work on fixes for 5.2, which already seems to work. There are some error messages, not sure if it's keeping anything from rendering correctly or not.

17. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

chiapet1021 likes this.
  18. hopeful

hopeful

He's probably working on Scion. ;)

19. Aieth

Aieth

It's a sci-fi FPS https://www.facebook.com/OverstepGame?fref=ts
    No public gameplay yet though.
    No I have intentionally kept information a bit... barren as of late. Big things are going to happen this year. But I don't want to encourage anyone to buy it at this point, it got messed up pretty bad by 5.1.
    I'm skipping 5.1 and going straight for 5.2. I can't really say when but lets say not too soon but not in too long either. I'm in the process of a long overdue refactor of the CPU code. The GPU code got one last patch and is in top notch condition, but the CPU side has needed love a long time. In the process I'm also attacking a bunch of longstanding issues like the low environment probe limit.
    I'm in the middle of a huge refactor. It's not the most exciting news but it is long overdue ;)

20. NikProductions

NikProductions

Any updates?

Tiny-Man likes this.
  21. Aieth

Aieth

The Jove code base is huge, we're talking tens of thousands of lines of code. I'm working on it ;)

bac9-flcl likes this.
  22. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Sounds like fun Aieth ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

23. NikProductions

NikProductions

Keep the good work Aieth!

24. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

Let me know if you need any data to test with :)

25. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Hey Aieth will you add dyamic lens flar generation to Jove?

26. NikProductions

NikProductions

Scion is getting popular, damn! It feels like Jove is getting left behind..

27. Aieth

Aieth

It's more a matter of Jove is 20 times as large as Scion. So everything takes 20 times as much time. Each patch for Jove requires roughly 4 times as much work as the entirety of Scion.

28. NikProductions

NikProductions

True, Jove really is gorgeous!

By the way, in a game that I am currently trying to make. Do you have any suggestions about a fur shader that would work with Jove?

29. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Aieth or Dolkar would have to write it. :p

30. NikProductions

NikProductions

Well I think I should write it myself, I was asking for some tips really XD

31. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

@bac9-flcl might have some tips. He's talked about writing custom Jove shaders in the past on this thread. I think the challenge is that you can't simply convert a shader written for Unity.

32. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

@NikProductions It's pretty much the same deal as writing normal Unity shaders, you just have access to more stuff easily (all buffers etc) and you just have to output the result differently.

Easiest thing is making new deferred shaders - for this, check the supplied standard Jove shader and extend it. It's pretty short and very easy to understand, you just output the values into Jove output slots, similarly to how Unity surface shaders work. If you need advanced stuff like transparencies, you can use forward rendering too - Jove includes an example of this, and the difference is that you'll have to call Jove methods to apply lighting and such to your shaders.

You can't use Shader Forge, but overall, if you are familiar with writing shaders, nothing should be a problem.

33. hopeful

hopeful

(Being able to use ShaderForge would be a help.)

34. NikProductions

NikProductions

@bac9-flcl I'm working on the shader now, I'm going to post results when ready! Thanks for the tips.
    @hopeful Yeah, using "ShaderForge" would be helpful for Jove.

35. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Can't you write custom fuctions or such in shader forge, haven't used it in awhile so do remember? Maybe can use that for Jove or something.

36. NikProductions

NikProductions

If you have the time, you should be able to convert "Shader Forge" for Jove. I have the newest version, but haven't used it alot.

37. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Challenge accepted ;)

Licarell and hopeful like this.
  38. NikProductions

NikProductions

This will be interesting ;)

39. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Well i'm getting their, its a bit of a struggle being unable to write custom nodes for shaderforge (unless im missing something). If I had that all my issues would be solved :p or atleast will go a bit faster. Got the core shader code in it just trying to figure out a way for shader forge to get the textures good for Jove.

40. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Well I managed to get it working, but found out shader forge isn't vary viable for making Jove shaders.
    The bulk of the shaderforge shader is done with the code node, although it does require a bit of cleanup (not too much).
    The main issue that arises is having to replace all the tags and deleting the shaderforge unity rendering stuff and replacing with Jove tags and moving some code of line to different places. You have to do this each time you want to compile from shader forge so if you make a mistake in your shader then you have to change all the tags and such again, quite time consuming, but not all that hard. I find it a lot easier just to write everything out rather then doing the shaderforge way. If you know the math it's quite easy.

One solution I found if you want a complex material is, make the shaderforge shader for unity, open the shader script and look at the math. Then simply apply that math into Jove.

41. NikProductions

NikProductions

To make shader forge work, you would have to replace the core script which compiles the shaders and then work on the nodes. It's quite time consuming, but creating your own shaders is not that hard as you said.

42. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Yes I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that by using the code node. The main problem is that shaderforge is in a .dll file so one would have to decompile it first and then modify the source code, could get in some legal trouble doing that as well...

Maybe I could make a script that converts it to Jove. But it is difficult :/

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  43. NikProductions

NikProductions

Either way it would be "difficult", or what I would use, "annoying"!

You could however create your own version for Jove, while looking at what Shader Forge has and converting only the pbr part? It's limited in terms of custom lighting, but it should work fine.

44. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Yes, well I'm seeing what other stuff I can do with the code node, I managed to speed up the deleting part to around 3 seconds worth of work instead of 1 minute. Decided maybe I could add all the #pragma and tags inside the code node then collapse them in mono/visual then its quite easy to delete everything else.
    Now I just need to find a way to do the same with textures.

Edit : Think I've cracked the code for doing things very quickly and easily :)

45. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Yes, I've cracked the code :) Atleast for a custom shader in shaderforge to output albedo, metalness and normal map. Setup in a way that it's really easy to convert the outputed shader into Jove. Pretty much just do a shader as you would normally would in Shaderforge then plug it into the code nodes (albedo, normal map, metalness). When you compile open the shader and remove the unneeded unity 5 shader stuff which is very easy to do with the new way and just change some UV variables and input variables and bam done. Process takes maybe 1 minute to do and if it works in unity 5 should work with Jove.

Things like depth, reflection angles and stuff still need to look into but standard stuff like lerp, remap and the shizzle works.

chiapet1021 likes this.
  46. hopeful

hopeful

@Tiny Man - What about something like Outline?

47. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

I'll look into it, i'm no shader guru like Aieth but it seems like it uses a matrix and just moves the vertex position of the object from their normals by a given value, then does another pass over that. Shouldn't be that hard to do in Jove with the code node if it goes as smoothly as the core of Jove.

hopeful likes this.
  48. NikProductions

NikProductions

Nice work!

49. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Well outline code node is getting there, problem I have currently is that in Jove the outline is not moving outwards and is remaining the same (although in the editor it works perfectly fine, when rendering with the Jove camera, not so much) might look a bit deeper with code or just ask Aieth :p

hopeful likes this.
  50. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Heres shader forge outline so far in Jove

Still needs some work like no shadow recievement (and ambient lighting) and not clipping through other objects, but hey its getting there :p

hopeful likes this.