Search Unity

Jove 2.0: DX11 Rendering System (Alpha Release)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Aieth, Aug 17, 2014.

1. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

Thanks for the breakdown and explanation Aieth.

2. JecoGames

JecoGames

Ah,ok, I was thinking that AC4's lighting didn't look as good as far crys

3. JecoGames

JecoGames

Ha ha, same man:) thinking of getting a 970 though...

4. JecoGames

JecoGames

Actually how many bounces can this technique do?

5. blueivy

blueivy

@JecoGames

JecoGames likes this.
  6. zelmund

zelmund

dont think that 99% games need more then 2. very hard to see bounces behind diffuse/spec/rough/refl/ambiant/normal textures even on simple wall =). in that case you will need burn bounces but that result will do frustrate effect.

7. JecoGames

JecoGames

Personally I think 4 is the sweet spot,I also heard its where most raytracers get the majority of the final indirect lighting.

8. Licarell

Licarell

@Aieth I know you are planning the next patch first of next year, I'm curious to know the list of enhanced and additional features you have planned, just bullet points... no need to spend time with long descriptions... that is if you don't feel like it;)

Thanks!

Also @everyone - I've noticed not hardly any chatter on bugs or performance issues as of late, that's either good (Jove's performing as it should) or bad (nobodies using it).

Hummmm.... I know this sound like I'm fishing... it's just that I'm still in the asset building/texturing stage and wonder how it's coming along for the folks...

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  9. lazygunn

lazygunn

I've had to leave it for now cause i've been wrapped up in things that won't allow fancy dx11 stuff, but i think i can say i was happy with the state of it when i'd left it and had a decent amount of time with it. Looking forwards to some new features!

10. Aieth

Aieth

I've had plenty of contact with people as of late, just not that much via the forum :) So there's no need to worry about that.

As for a short list of stuff, what I'm looking to include in the next major patch:
    The three new ambient modes (lightmap, static radiance volumes, dynamic radiance volumes)
    Screenspace reflections
    Point/spot light shadows

However, it is possible that I'm going to be releasing another patch before the next major patch. Or well, that patch would be pretty big in of itself but nothing compared to the new ambient modes (I have almost doubled the size of Jove just with the new ambient modes!).

Features that are likely to make it into that patch would be:
    Point/spot light shadows (no point in holding that in eh?)
    Decals in various shapes and sizes :)

8Infinite8 and hopeful like this.
  11. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

SSR, decals. sweet

8Infinite8 likes this.
  12. Licarell

Licarell

Aieth you just warmed my cockles this holiday season...

Tiny-Man likes this.
  13. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Very wrong, haha

14. SteveB

SteveB

Mmmmmm salty cockles...

15. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

Really looking forward to it.

16. Licarell

Licarell

gawd... lol

17. SteveB

SteveB

Slurping cockles is 'aight, but I prefer them baked. That or with butter and garlic...

18. Licarell

Licarell

I'm in Texas we like'm with Tabasco...

19. SteveB

SteveB

Texas huh? You'd think you would like it hotter than that... :D

20. chingwa

chingwa

I might have to un-follow this thread for a while... :D

21. blueivy

blueivy

Hmm what's occurring here?

22. SteveB

SteveB

Licarell and I are foodies...

23. redstudio

redstudio

where can I find the version to test?

24. Aieth

Aieth

What do you mean? If you are talking about a demo, there is a link in the first post in this thread.

25. redstudio

redstudio

a demo to use inside unity, not to see what you have done but to see what we can do.

26. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

I doubt that sort of demo will be made. That's not typical of assets, since you basically are getting the asset without having to buy it first.

27. redstudio

redstudio

am talking about some short of try out version.

28. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Again, it doesn't seem feasible in this situation. Sometimes, developers have "lite" versions of their assets that you can download and use in the editor for free, but Jove is an very integrated rewrite of the rendering pipeline. I doubt Aieth can splinter off a subset of features for a free trial easily; it might even be impossible.

29. zelmund

zelmund

short try out version... and how it will looks like?

30. Elecman

Elecman

I just purchased Jove 2 but unfortunately it is not compatible with the Oculus Rift.

Adding the JoveCamera script to each eye camera (and removing the standard camera component) makes it work ok-ish apart from things looking too black and the sky being absent.

But after a while the right eye will black out and shortly after the left eye will black out as well. The black out process is not instant and it is possible to "dodge" the blackness for a while.

This is what it looks like with the right eye blacked out and the left eye about to be affected as well:

FOW.jpg
    Any fix for this?

31. Dolkar

Dolkar

Hmm, that's a weird one. As a temporary fix, I think disabling the fog should work. I remember glitching it out like that in the early builds.

32. Aieth

Aieth

I'm afraid chiapet1021 is correct, it isn't really feasible. Creating a scaled down version of Jove for a free to use demo version would be a lot of work. I am not going to say never but I am pretty sure that there will never be such a free version.

Jove 2.0 isn't compatible with Oculus Rift, I have not tested them together yet. The sky thing sounds really odd, I don't understand why that would happen. The black spread is caused by one of two things, either the fog as Dolkar pointed out (and you probably want to turn that off anyway as it isn't made for Oculus Rift) or the bloom. Since each pixel gets color from a lot of pixels around it, if even a single pixels goes NaN or Inf it spreads to most of the screen.

You should be able to fix both those, at least temporarily, by turning off the fog and bloom. It might work with just the bloom on, not sure. I am going to look into proper Oculus Rift support after the next patch.

Elecman and 8Infinite8 like this.
  33. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

:):):)

Elecman likes this.
  34. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

Some inspiration from UE4 and again showing off the power SSR

WGermany and blueivy like this.
  35. blueivy

blueivy

Do you plan on doing cloth shaders? maybe like this video done in unity.

36. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Any news on terrain stuff?
    I'm working on a scene that I really want to use jove in, but the terrain needs to fit the bill.
    Also unity 5 compatibility, think that will come with the big patch (if so a big +)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  37. Elecman

Elecman

How do I remove the black outline when using the Jove Emissive/Simple shader and the JoveParticleTexture1 texture? The black area of the texture is supposed to be transparent but it is not.

I see that the shader also has a Translucency channel (blue) in a different texture so presumably I can get it to work using two different textures. However, this seems a bit overkill for a simple light. Any fix or way around this?

Here you can see the black bleeding through on the blue lights and the strobes at the side of the runway are also black instead of transparent when switched off:

jove approach lights.png

38. Dolkar

Dolkar

A good way would be to use a billboard with the particle unlit add shader. However, at the moment, there's no way to have it output stronger light than 1... a tiny bit of an oversight I guess. If you're familiar with shaders, just add a new float property and multiply the final color with it... or use this 'universal' particle shader: http://pastebin.com/VeD79McL Addition controls intensity and absorption changes how much whatever was behind is darkened. So with absorption = 0, you get additive blending and with 1, you have alpha blending.

About cloth shaders... Afaik, the main difference from other dielectric material is that the specularity is a bit higher and the specular itself has a tint of the material color, instead of being white. That is due to light often passing through the first few strands of the cloth, getting tinted by it and then reflected later on, instead of being completely absorbed by them. Coincidentally, you get something quite similar by using metallic values a bit higher than 0. So yeah, coupled with a bit of translucency, I think some form of cloth is already available just by using the right values in your textures :)

blueivy and hippocoder like this.
  39. Elecman

Elecman

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am just making a comparison between Sonic Ether's bloom shader and the Jove 2 bloom effect. So far it doesn't hold up ;-)

40. braaad

braaad

Can you clarify what you mean it doesn't hold up? It's obvious why your test is having issues, the emissive shader's main texture's alpha channel is for the emissive value as it is designed for things that require both emissive and regular shading (not really designed for how you are using it). I assume you are after a shader the same as the one provided by SE's Bloom? If so it is a very simple shader but it seems you have already dismissed any help.

41. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Very good point, it like comparing bloom on LDR to HDR.
    The material with the higher range will of course have a better bloom effect.

42. Elecman

Elecman

Ok, I got it to work. Thanks for the link to that shader. Here is the modified version which does the same as SE's particle bloom shader:
    http://pastebin.com/bxsX480L

This is what it looks like now:
    jove approach lights 2.png

@Aieth,
    Can you include this shader in Jove? I think others will find it helpful as well.

43. gtpdzbiz

gtpdzbiz

A side note about lighting in GT5/6:

The system is entirely forward rendering based, if you look at their lighting closely on the cars they always have only one pixel light and one self casting shadow (try move slowly in the tunnel scene and you can see how the shadow jumps). All the other lights are vertex / SH based.

As for the multiple casting shadow on the ground... That's an old projection mesh shadow dated back to GT3... They use some algorithm to animate them according to the light sources in the scene.

44. braaad

braaad

For anyone wanting to use Jove in Unity 5 you just need to use the full path in the #include directives in both the compute and cginc files. eg. #include "DeferredCommon.cginc" becomes #include "Assets/Jove/Resources/Shaders/DeferredCommon.cginc"

I also had another issue related to accessing the UnityEditor namespace in JoveManager, however this may be related to my project as I was having some issues with UnityVS at the time. If this is in fact an issue, let me know and I can tell you how I fixed it if you can't figure it out.

I haven't had a chance to look at getting the GI to work yet. The only thing off the top of my head that I can see being an issue is that there are single tags for the lightmapping inputs eg [LM_Metallic], [LM_Smoothness] etc. I haven't looked into how these work, or if they work at all, with packed textures.

Tiny-Man likes this.
  45. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Holly crap dude big thx, ill test this out today.

46. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

Ops. I think I broke my refresh button. Waiting eagerly for updates :)

blueivy and chiapet1021 like this.
  47. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Some terrain rendered in Jove.
    Quite a struggle getting everything in order, but its more or less an 'alpha stage' shader.

Would love to add some foliage to it, although leaves look a bit jacked right now in Jove, due to the lack of a dedicated leaf shader, but I guess in the future its a to do thing on jove's list.

8Infinite8, hopeful and blueivy like this.
  48. lazygunn

lazygunn

Lovely!

49. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Slapped some trees on the terrain to see how they react to the shaders and such.
    As I said before leaves need a proper shader, translucency doesn't really work for them.

0.2 Trans

0 Trans

1 Trans

1 Trans with sun

blueivy likes this.
  50. Dolkar

Dolkar

Full translucency is quite a bit too high, unless you have trees of wax. But doesn't 0.2-0.6 ish look good overall, both from distance and against the sun?
    What they need though is the fix for the foliage seemingly thinning out at distance due to using mipmapping on the alpha. You can see the issue on the shadows in your pic.
    Another thing that might improve the quality is using somewhat transparent shadows for the leaves, if you have that turned on. Should smooth out the shadows nicely. Maybe that could apply to all translucent objects.. @Aieth ?