Search Unity

Journeyballs WIP

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Demigiant, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Demigiant

Demigiant

Hello :)

This is a WIP of a small game I'm developing for Android. Webplayer can be played here: Journeyballs webPlayer.
    It's a 6 level demo, with difficulty level increasing quite rapidly due to its shortness.

Controls:
    You just press LMB (or SPACE) to push forward. Aim is to reach the green exit, while hitting (and sticking) to all white balls for points.

As of now, it's just a 1-day game, inspired again by faultymoose's 30 Games in 30 Days self-challenge (check his 1-day games: they're awesome!).
    For the 2D flavor I used the awesome 2D Toolkit, animations are made with HOTween, and the old-school sounds are created with the great sfxr.

I plan to add more elements (balls that change your direction or speed, obstacles, etc.) and a lot more levels, a smoother increase in difficulty, and then release it as my first Android game.

Any thoughts would be welcome, and here are a couple of screenshots:

[EDIT]
    Some screenshots of the new polished look for Android/iOS release (soon :p)

$v0_1_136_home.jpg
    Journeyballs main menu (background will vary depending on the last level played)

$v0_1_136_journeySelection.jpg
    Journey selection screen

$v0_1_136_level01.jpg
    Level from the first tutorial journey

$v0_1_136_level02.jpg
    Sample level

And here is the current gameplay video (alpha 0.1.041)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  2. NomadKing

NomadKing

Fun concept and cute graphics. I thought the gameplay might have been too simple, but was pleased to find that levels 5 and 6 upped the difficulty (Ugh level 6!!) and some of the additional features you mention could make it very challenging indeed! Nice work.

23122 was my final score :)

3. Demigiant

Demigiant

Hey NomadKing, thanks for playing again :)

I started easily because with my last WIP (Passive Aggressive Defender) I had people telling me it was too difficult. This time I plan to increase the difficulty slightly and introduce new gameplay elements with each level, to make it more interesting. I hope I will manage :p

Oh, and that's a great score, but I managed to beat you (with many retries): 23369 :D

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  4. Salim

Salim

Wow, I love the concept, and the positive feedback you get after every stages feels so good! I also think you will need to introduce new interesting gameplay elements. Maybe have some devices that make the ball go in other directions or make the ball be thrown with a different effect (boomerang effect, etc).

5. Demigiant

Demigiant

Thanks Salim. Those elements you mentioned are some of the things I plan to implement, though I hadn't thought of the boomerang effect: will look into it :)

Right now I'm adding a From option to HOTween, and then I'll be back to creating some kind of editor for the game levels.

P.S. the first page of The Girl and the Robot looks so enticing! Sadly I couldn't go further because of a server error, but I'll try again later.

6. ar0nax

ar0nax

the game is very fun, and not so easy at level 6 :)

PS: your buttons are ment to look that way? (round corners 100% visible and rectangle corners 10-20% visible)

7. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

I must admit, when I first saw the first image I didn't think I was going to think much of it... but how wrong I was. It was a really nice experience to play. Well done indeed.

Best Regards,
    Matt.

8. Demigiant

Demigiant

@ar0nax: glad you had some fun :) About the buttons, you mean the top rectangles that appear with part of the score? If so, yup, it was my intention (but I think I will change them). If not, and you're referring to the "retry"/"next" buttons, it's an error that I don't have on my computer: could you please tell me more about the parts that are missing?

@fallingbrickwork: thanks Matt :) I found myself actually engaged in playing this, in spite of its simplicity, and building levels is very funny. Can't wait to do more of it.

9. ar0nax

ar0nax

i am referring to this bug (retry, next, and image on bg): $Screen shot 2012-02-03 at 20.23.57.png

10. Demigiant

Demigiant

@ar0nax: oh damn, that shouldn't happen, those areas are perfectly transparent. Thanks a lot for showing it to me. 2D Toolkit must be making some mess, I'll check if there's any info about that. Also, I hope I'm not annoying you too much, but seeing that I see everything correctly, could you tell me what OS, browser, and possibly WebPlayer version are using?

11. NomadKing

NomadKing

If I squint and look really hard, I can also see the edges ar0nax was mentioning, my guess is he's running a higher contrast/brightness on his monitor so spotted them first. As to why they are there... well... hmmm...

Edit: On second thought, higher contrast wouldn't show in a screenshot! I guess ar0nax just has some untold mystical abilites :)

12. Demigiant

Demigiant

I tried that, by capturing a screenshot and hyper-contrasting it in Photoshop, but I still can't see the edges :p I read that they might be possibly caused by a setting of 2D Toolkit, but it simply changes the way a texture is saved. After that, I don't understand how the same texture can have different alpha depending on the computer... it's kind of scary. Anyway, tomorrow morning I'll try to re-upload it with those settings changed.

13. clxyeah

clxyeah

Really Enjoyed it, Keep it up, was really quite fun and love the art style.

14. rextr09

rextr09

Cute, smooth, simple, fun, addictive.

15. Demigiant

Demigiant

@clxyeah, @rextr09: thanks a lot, I'm so glad you found it interesting :)

@NomadKing, @ar0nax: I finally (!) could see the non-transparent areas when I published to my Android phone, and I can't find a way to show them correctly. Just wrote the guys at 2D Toolkit hoping they'll have a solution :p

16. NomadKing

NomadKing

The mystery takes another exciting turn...

17. ar0nax

ar0nax

i use mac with google chrome (and latest version of the unity webplayer), the monitor is Nec LED (ummm dunno the model, was on the computer from work), it might be a problem with that 2D toolkit, messing up with alpha from the textures perhaps.

18. Demigiant

Demigiant

The guys at 2D Toolkit were awesome, and in spite of the weekend we had a dense mail exchange until they found the issue :)

Actually, it's caused by the fog. For the background, I use a very saturated purple fog, which messes up with the alpha on Mac and Android machines. It looks like it's a Unity bug, so I'll have to go without the fog (anyway, I meant to change the background when moving to Android) :p

19. bjohnson8704

bjohnson8704

Gotta say, I think you have a gem here. This seems like it could make it to the top of the charts in the App store once you're done with it(that's me hoping you find a way to get it on the iOS App store). :) Whatever route you take with this, I'm sure it'll do extremely well and I wish you the best of luck. Can't wait to see more! :)

20. bjohnson8704

bjohnson8704

21. ar0nax

ar0nax

ohhhh... yes... the fog, i had some problems with that and UI Toolkit.... the fog was rendering over the GUI layer sometimes (most of the times actually) and all the PNGs got a bit white... but i forgot about that.

22. NomadKing

NomadKing

Fog bug? Well, it's 9am and now I've already learned my 1 new thing for today! :)

23. ar0nax

ar0nax

yes, the thing is the fog needs to render last (so it will cover all the objects in the scene)... but it seems it also renders on top of the GUI (at least in my case when using UI Toolkit) distorting the textures used in the GUI.

24. Demigiant

Demigiant

Yup, bad fog, baaad! :p And this appears to be a bug because on some machines it renders correctly, while on others it doesn't.

25. Demigiant

Demigiant

26. bjohnson8704

bjohnson8704

27. Demigiant

Demigiant

28. ar0nax

ar0nax

shoop it :p

29. Demigiant

Demigiant

Ahaha, and here I go and learn a new word :D

30. ar0nax

ar0nax

31. Demigiant

Demigiant

32. welby

welby

Yay,..

My Ball is Happy!

..my Boss is not,...

:p

33. ar0nax

ar0nax

google for "shoop da whoop" (click on knowyourmeme link)

and there's where i got the 'shoop' thing.

34. ScottyB

ScottyB

Nice game.

Just one suggestion if you want to keep your players trying for high scores and therefore playing your game longer, add a quick retry button to the game screen and give them an option or something to speed up retry/success/fail screen transitions.

Good luck.

35. Demigiant

Demigiant

@Welby: well, make your boss play then :D

@ScottyB: thanks a lot for the suggestion. That's definitely a thing I will implement, along with a panel for choosing levels :)

36. Kyena

Kyena

I TOTALLY love the game concept - I think the graphics could be made a bit more recognizable and special. If you can work on that I think you'll go places with this :)
    Simply yet addictive game designs with graphics you remember are always a winner.

37. welby

welby

well,..I got a coWorker to play it.,.hehhe

one observation he noticed,..as I didn't give him any 'direction' was that he focused on just getting the ball into the green pipe, which he did rather easily, and thought the other things were just obstacles.

Perhaps make it clearer,..by giving more feedback when a ball is caught such as floating +score when caught, so the player is like,..Oh,..I am suposed to do that!

,..or even Locking the green pipe until all wayPoints are switched(caught). This way, there is no doubt that you are supposed to be trying to catch the ball along the way.

Good luck!

-Welby

38. Demigiant

Demigiant

@Kyena: thanks a lot for the feedback :) I'm rebuilding the game from scratch and I definitely plan to put some "soul" into it. Hope I'll manage :)

@Welby: fundamental observation, and thanks for the luck :) I plan to start the first levels with small tutorials, so there will be a popup telling you that sticking to those other balls gives you points. I don't want to totally prevent finishing a level until you got them all, because later levels will get very difficult, thus you might want to just reach the exit and ignore some score.

Also, on a more general note, I'm very pleased to say that Blake from Engaging Games (makers of Droppin' Bombs) proposed to make a port of Journeyballs to iOS, when I'll be finished with it. So it'll be released both on Android than iOS, and good luck to us :)

39. shahroozal

shahroozal

One word, Awesome !
    I loved it :)

40. Demigiant

Demigiant

Yey! Thanks a lot shahroozal! Right now I'm putting a lot of effort into a polished/expanded version of it :)

By the way, BubbleBomb looks really nice. Didn't play it (couldn't find the webPlayer), but those crabs are hilarious :)

41. shahroozal

shahroozal

Thanks! I'm glad you took a look at it :)
    Can't wait to play the next version of Journeyballs.

42. Demigiant

Demigiant

Ah! New highscore! 23398! Yey! Though you'll have to rely on me for that one, because for some reason my computer decided he can't print screens anymore, and all I get when I try to capture it is a black square :p

43. Acumen

Acumen

yeh, that happened to mine as well.
    I have 32.000 obviously.....

Just thought, this might be a good moment to stop by and say, I'm a big fan of the work that you showed so far :D
    Loving the game mechanics and ideas as well as the execution. Hope you're getting it released soon and keep on working in that tempo !

44. Demigiant

Demigiant

Hey Fabian, thanks a lot, and glad to hear from the other half of Engaging Games :) I'm working on it a lot, but as with you and Droppin' Bombs, the more you work on something, the more it grows in conception :D

Even if playing it makes me anxious, I'm a fan of Droppin' Bombs too, and I'm especially loving all the details you guys are putting into it, and the color usage. And I also love those tractors you got in your portfolio: they're awesome! You should make a game with them.

45. NomadKing

NomadKing

The Whale is awesome too :)

46. Demigiant

Demigiant

True! Maybe a multiplayer Whales VS Tractors game? :p

47. Acumen

Acumen

shhh, it's about your super stylized game in here :)
    Hope you're focussing on getting the game out first in a good state. And worry about many details later. It already has that level of polish that would make a good release. You can always go in circles and overcomplicate :p
    Gonna be interesting to see how this will plug over to the iOS devices. Hope blake shares some supersecret betabuild with me, soon :D
    But I won't tell you that he did, so you can't blame him afterwards. *shhhh*

48. Demigiant

Demigiant

I'm building all needed managers and the basic engine, and I set up the main graphics style for the game and the menus (and it's even more stylized than the web prototype). And yup, I'm trying not to get lost in the details, but it's difficult :p

I hope that the iOS conversion will be simply a matter of pressing "build" on Blake's computer, though I suppose there will be some compatibility issues with the saving and scoring system, so Blake's superpowers will have to save the day. I'm waiting to have those parts ready to send them to him (hoped to have them done for the weekend, but since I bought EasySave 2 for the saving implementation, and its release date has been delayed, I got that part delayed too), so he will do a supersecretbetatest :D And you better not play it! Unless you're ready to give me feedback, obviously, for which I would be extremely grateful :)

*shhhhhh*
    I was thinking of a racing game: Whales on Tractors (or Whales of Glory) :cool:
    *shhhhhh*

49. bjohnson8704

bjohnson8704

Well, it looks like we've tied:

50. Train

Train

Hi Izitmee, it is a cool cute game. I play`d all 6 level and i hope soon comes more. Nice game!