Search Unity

Games Journey to Ecrya - RPG Tabletop Game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Blaufrosch, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Blaufrosch

Blaufrosch

Hello everyone,
    I wanted to share a little bit about the game I am currently working on and maybe even gather a bit of feedback.
    The game is called Journey to Ecrya and this side of the project I wanna talk about is basically the digital version of the tabletop card/board game that we are developing.
    As the sole programmer I am responsible for the unity version while my two colleagues are working on the card design and artworks (mainly focussed on the physical version).

To shortly describe the game:
    It is a turnbased game where you make your way up a mountain (on the board), face different encounter cards & events and equip your hero. I like to describe it as a short, randomized P&P session without the long setup time.
    The physical game therefore has a heavy focus on roleplaying and dm'ing. The digital version aims to connect players that can't sit at one table together.

Technically speaking the game takes mostly place on the UI (+ board) and takes advantage of the animator states to create the rules of the different game phases.
    I am at the moment still in the middle of a big rework (regarding multiplayer, cards and other mechanics) after major design changes where made to the game and to get it network-ready.
    The game uses PUN to establish connections and their RPCs to update the gamestate using Custom Messages which are turned into a bytestream.
    I would love some feedback, but especially on everything networking/PUN related as it is my first time working with it. (I can post some source code if needed and elabourate on that further if you might be able to help with that!)

You can read more about our game on our website and other social media channels:

Website & Discord

At this point I also wanna mention our Kickstarter that will be going live soon:

Kickstarter

guicamarotto likes this.
  2. Blaufrosch

Blaufrosch

Hello,
    sorry for the little later than a month update, but there has been quite a lot going on lately.
    After a little break from programming and focussing on other things (projectwise but also personally), we still made quite a bit of progress that I'd like to share.

I'm gonna use this opportunity first to first of all update on most recent change regarding the project:
    WE ARE NOW LIVE ON KICKSTARTER! YAY :>
    There is a link right above this reply (at the bottom of my main post), if you want to check it out.
    [Sidenote: The Kickstarter focusses on the physical version but ofc also finances the digital version]

To post some updates on the (digital) game:

1. Cardmeshes (finally)

Since a few weeks ago we didn't actually have a proper cardmesh with the needed channels for materials. Now we actually have one and it's working wonderfully. Gone are the days of using a box and 'floating' textures on it, which just caused lots of problems!
    The loading of the cards (during runtime) and future iterations changed a bit but it didn't complicate things.
    With that done, I also took the opportunity to update the UI and the card integration into it.

2. Networking slowly evolving
    Networking is still not my strongest suit, but I am trying to improve and keep on building up the game multiplayerwise. With most of the gameplay-phases implemented (the main phase is going to be tackled after the next reworks are done) and game initialization looking better than ever, I can proudly say that i made a good but of progress. Lobbies and host commands are still missing, but that is something for future me :D

3. Big refactoring session coming to an end
    At the moment of writing this post, there were quite many structural changes happening codewise. With the game being first developed as a single machine project, a lot of things had to be changed, once multiplayer developement started. For a long time I just wrote quick and dirty spaghetti code to get stuff done but that just kept creating problems (duh) and a big code revamp got started. Now there is a light at the end of that tunnel and a lot of the old codebase got updated/replaced or just deprecated in some cases.

That's all for today.
    Thanks for reading my little post :)