Search Unity

Joint.massScale and Joint.ConnectedMassScale?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by FuzzyShan, Sep 15, 2017.

1. FuzzyShan

FuzzyShan

Currently when my ragdoll exert a great force, certain part of joint will just fly off everywhere, then all the connected body parts will start relate to that part of joint, which will result the whole ragdoll fly off and all rigidbodies goes off into different places. I was wondering if Joint.massScale would solve this problem?

2. Plystire

Plystire

3. FuzzyShan

FuzzyShan

Indeed, projection helps with the issues, but doesn't solve the issues, this happens when one of the rigidbody calculated by physics engine goes nuts, which can be in high speed impacts and so on.

4. Plystire

Plystire

Ragdolls aren't exactly known for their behavior in high velocity situations. I mean, you can just look at practically any commercial game with ragdolls. Hit em hard enough and they wig out. :p

5. FuzzyShan

FuzzyShan

Right, but I was hoping to have some sort of way to prevent this issue.

We also have a script setting velocity and angular velocity to zero, and reset their position to previous frame which pretty much solves the problem, but this is sorta like a bandage that prevent the problem from happen when the problem already happened.

So now I am just looking at stuff that reduce the possibility of things going bad. So anyways, the main topic was that would Joint.massScale help prevent this kind of things from going bad? I saw the document, but I am still not sure how to use it correctly, hopefully somebody can explain it more in details.

HelckOne likes this.