Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions. On July 12, the Unity Forums will become read-only.

Please, do not make any changes to your username or email addresses at id.unity.com during this transition time.

It's still possible to reply to existing private message conversations during the migration, but any new replies you post will be missing after the main migration is complete. We'll do our best to migrate these messages in a follow-up step.

On July 15, Unity Discussions will become read-only until July 18, when the new design and the migrated forum contents will go live.

Read our full announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.

Question Joining Player by Moving Left Stick

Discussion in 'Input System' started by aydin_khp, Jul 11, 2020.

1. aydin_khp

aydin_khp

Hi,

I am using PlayerInputManager to to handle players' joining the game; i.e. players join the game by clicking on their controller buttons and as a result a Prefab - which has a PlayerInput - is instantiated.

The problem I am facing now is that it seems the join mechanism is not triggered when player moves the left or right sticks on a game-pad; It is a bit strange to me because the mechanism is triggered by the game-pad's D-Pad.

This leads to this weird scenario: Suppose two players want to play the game. When the game starts and in the main menu shows up, Player1 moves around the main menu using left stick without pressing any other buttons. A bit later Player2 which uses keyboard jumps in and starts moving around; Since pushing any keyboard button triggers the join mechanism the unity considers the Player2 the main player and this causes the first player become unable to move in the menu.

Is there anyway - without hacking - to make the join mechanism gets triggered by game-pad sticks?

Note: I can navigate the menu with the left stick without join mechanism getting triggered; But as soon as I start navigating with the D-Pad the join mechanism gets triggered.

Regards,
    Aydin

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020