Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Joining a voice channel in Vivox mutes all audio for a few seconds.

Discussion in 'Vivox (Voice & Text Chat)' started by unity_FF199B168869A590D345, Mar 27, 2023.

1. unity_FF199B168869A590D345

unity_FF199B168869A590D345

Unity: 2022.2.4f1, Vivox: 15.1.200000-pre.1
    Unreal: 4.27.2, Vivox: 5.20.0.unr.0
    Android Device: Google Pixel 5a, Meta Quest 2

I am testing to implement Vivox in my project and am suffering from the symptoms of the title.

I have added the latest Vivox Unity Android SDK (15.1.200000-pre.1) to my project, built and tested the sample scene provided, and confirmed that I can voice chat.
    However, immediately after connecting to the voice channel, all audio is muted for a few seconds. This all audio includes the background music I added to the sample scene.
    This occurs even if the microphone is permitted.

This symptom also occurred when I tried the latest Vivox Unreal Android SDK (5.20.0.unr.0). Also, it does not occur when running on Windows, only when running on Android.

I am assuming that this is probably happening because the Vivox SDK is performing some operation on the voice device when I join the voice channel, is there any way to work around this audio interruption?

Thank you.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
  2. Wriggler

Wriggler

We have this problem too, reproduced on version 16.0.0-pre.1 on Oculus Quest. No solutions thus far.

Ben

3. NickFromVivox

NickFromVivox

Unity Technologies

A slight delay can happen briefly but we wouldn't expect that to happen for more than a second. We haven't seen this reproduced internally or reported elsewhere but will keep an ear out for it in our testing.

4. Wriggler

Wriggler

Hi Nick,

Thanks for posting about this. Just to let you know we are seeing this 100% of the time across various builds and various headsets. It's definitely when the Vivox channel connects, and it's definitely limited to Android platforms only. The pause we observe happens for about a second, which (contrary to your post) is a pretty long time to have all audio cut out. It masks our music, cuts out tutorial VO we're delivering to the player, etc. Certainly it's unshippable in its current state. We'll work around this in our project by connecting to the channel in a loading screen, but I'd urge you guys to take a look at this if you can. It's a class A bug in our database right now.

Thanks Nick!

Ben

Foreman_Dev likes this.
  5. Foreman_Dev

Foreman_Dev

Hey there @NickFromVivox , I have just implemented Vivox for Android (for the Meta Quest 2 and 3) and I am experiencing the same issue. When any user connects to a channel, 100% of the time all game audio cuts out for about a couple seconds. I would not want to ship a game with this issue. Why is this happening, and how can it be fixed?

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
  6. djhatvr

djhatvr

Try it on a Quest 2 build. This is the only place I see it... Mine audio cuts out for about 1.5 seconds

Please be aware that channel switching on Quest 3 works fine, it's only the Quest 2...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
  7. djhatvr

djhatvr

I found that it's related to the LeaveAllChannels Vivox function.
    I can join channels without issue on the Quest 2, but when I Leave All Channels I get the ~1.5 second silencing of All audio.

8. djhatvr

djhatvr

Leave channel has the same effect.

I possible TEMPORARY work-around of joining all channels and turning the volume down on all but the one you want. This would of course be very data intensive.

9. amankAtUnity

amankAtUnity

Hey there @Foreman_Dev, I just read that you got Vivox working on Quest 3. Now I am wondering if you use Vivox 16 - since (for me) Vivox login works on the Quest in editor but not standalone.

10. Foreman_Dev

Foreman_Dev

Yes, I am using Vivox 16.0.1 and it works on Quest 3 both in the editor and in an Android build!

Also, I filed a support ticket about this issue and they told me they created an internal support ticket. So, I hope this results in getting the issue fixed!

11. amankAtUnity

amankAtUnity

Any hint why the login on the quest might fail? Could it be due to the mic permissions? Can you provide a reference implementation? Fiddling around with it since yesterday and I am stuck :(

12. Foreman_Dev

Foreman_Dev

I just followed the example code given in the documentation for v16. So I would suggest looking at that, and if that is not working for you I would suggest opening a new thread since the issue you're having is unrelated to this thread's topic.