Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Jobs and Burst - Fluid Simulation Benchmark

Discussion in 'Burst' started by korzen303, Mar 23, 2018.

1. korzen303

korzen303

Hi All,

I have just finished some tests using fluid simulation. The jobified, Burst compiled implementation is faster roughly 25-30 times than a "normal" serial code (4096 particles, 4core i7-6700K).

There is still place for improvement as spatial partitioning and nearest neighbor search using uniform grid is burst compiled but not multi-threaded yet.

Also, due to use of Burst, the code currently only runs in the editor, in sort of a "debug mode" with additional safety checks on NativeContainers, which slows things down.

I want to measure against native C++ code soon but from my previous experience it seems that Burst might be really as fast as the native code!

Well done Mr. @Joachim_Ante, very well done!

Here is the video of my GPU compute shader implementation, just to give you impression how it looks like

I will release the sources soon

2. DwinTeimlon

DwinTeimlon

Very cool, looking forward to your release!

3. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Great to hear. Btw. you can turn off the safety checks when compiling with burst. "Jobs -> Enable Burst Safety Checks"

Turning off JobsDebugger can also be useful for profiling in editor. (In player it is disabled by default)