Search Unity

Jobs and Burst - Fluid Simulation Benchmark

Discussion in 'Data Oriented Technology Stack' started by korzen303, Mar 23, 2018.

1. korzen303

korzen303

Hi All,

I have just finished some tests using fluid simulation. The jobified, Burst compiled implementation is faster roughly 25-30 times than a "normal" serial code (4096 particles, 4core i7-6700K).

There is still place for improvement as spatial partitioning and nearest neighbor search using uniform grid is burst compiled but not multi-threaded yet.

Also, due to use of Burst, the code currently only runs in the editor, in sort of a "debug mode" with additional safety checks on NativeContainers, which slows things down.

I want to measure against native C++ code soon but from my previous experience it seems that Burst might be really as fast as the native code!

Well done Mr. @Joachim_Ante, very well done!

Here is the video of my GPU compute shader implementation, just to give you impression how it looks like

I will release the sources soon

2. DwinTeimlon

DwinTeimlon

Very cool, looking forward to your release!

3. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Great to hear. Btw. you can turn off the safety checks when compiling with burst. "Jobs -> Enable Burst Safety Checks"

Turning off JobsDebugger can also be useful for profiling in editor. (In player it is disabled by default)