Search Unity

Job System: Are we getting NativeList at GDC?

Discussion in 'C# Job System' started by DreamPower, Mar 17, 2018.

1. DreamPower

DreamPower

I've started experimenting with the snazzy new Job System, and my first test was to filter through a mesh finding only the triangles with normals facing a certain direction. Unfortunately, I can't think of a way to compile an arbitrary-size result array with only NativeArrays. Except one: use a result array the full size of the starting array with flags for when an entry isn't facing the direction I want. But it seems to me that going through that list afterwards, taking out the important bits while creating another list that's only the size I need, would combat the performance gains of using the Job System in the first place.

So thus my question: are we getting NativeList soon? It would totally solve this problem. Or does anybody have any better ideas for how to create a result array smaller than the original list within a job with what we have now?

2. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

3. DreamPower

DreamPower

Aha, everything I need *is* coming with the ECS preview (which was announced as being released during GDC)!

Thanks, somehow didn't see that thread (or the one it links to) in my search. I fail at searching.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  4. JohnHudeski

JohnHudeski

5. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

JohnHudeski likes this.
  6. JohnHudeski

JohnHudeski

Thanks. I actually havent touched unity in a while and i do not understand packages. I get so many errors when i open the project

7. DreamPower

DreamPower

You know how your Unity project has an Assets and Project Settings folder? There is now a third folder in there, "Packages" - if you create a new project with a recent beta, by default it has an empty Manifest.json file in it. Simplified instructions assuming you haven't added/created any other packages: to enable the new preview features in beta 12, copy the linked manifest.json into that folder.

8. JohnHudeski

JohnHudeski

I was trying to open an existing sample not make a new one
    That folder was already there
    Only beta i see is beta 11

9. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

10. JohnHudeski

JohnHudeski

Thank you so much