Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Read here for Unity's latest plans on OpenXR.
    Dismiss Notice

Jittery motion on Oculus Quest

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Fingerbob, May 24, 2019.

1. saifshk17

saifshk17

okay so I upgraded to latest Oculus integration in Unity and then I had to update Oculus Quest as well. Now it is working but its the same results. Multi-Pass still renders only on Left Eye and black on Right Eye even after upgrading the project to latest Unity 2019.3.0f6. And this is through using Legacy XR System.

2. nomand

nomand

Got a confirmation from support that a fix for this will come in URP 7.2 update. Would be nice to know the ETA, since deadlines and stuff.

saifshk17 and ROBYER1 like this.
  3. saifshk17

saifshk17

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  4. CGPepper

CGPepper

Did the issue get solved?
    I was actually getting much better performance with mobile vertex lit shader instead of URP

5. Kleptine

Kleptine

This issue disappeared for us after upgrading, although I haven't looked to see if it has re-occurred.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  6. saifshk17

saifshk17

I am using URP for Oculus Quest. There is alot of camera jittery motion and it is visible when UI elements are near the camera. What is the render scale you have set for URP and what are the best settings to enable for Oculus Quest?

7. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

You need to post more info than that, what is your framerate

8. saifshk17

saifshk17

Okay so basically I am using URP. The render scale of URP is set to 1.3f. Everything looks sharp but the camera starts to jitter with movement. This can be reflected with the UIs infront of the camera. However when I reduce the render scale to 1.0f, then there is no jitter motion in the camera, the movement is smooth, however the UIs in the scene look compressed and bad quality. So how do I make sure that the render scale is set to 1.3 as well as there is no jittery motion?

9. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

What is your framerate in FPS?

10. saifshk17

saifshk17

11. saifshk17

saifshk17

Here is the fixed timestep used in the application.

Attached Files:

12. cruizea5

cruizea5

I've just tried a build to SteamVR (running on Vive) on PC. I'm seeing the same issue if the game window is fullscreen and has focus! the timing on the jittery window is smaller (1/3 sec every second or so, instead of 1 sec every 3 seconds) but it's the same behaviour.

13. Incode

Incode

@saifshk17 The UIs probably look compressed because they're using Mipmaps based on distance. Upping the render scale is not a good way to improve clarity. It increases the resolution of the render textures for the eyes, therefore increasing your rendering and memory costs.

Instead try moving the UI closer to the player camera, and see if that makes a difference. Likely you'll just need to find a distance where they don't get mipmapped, and a size that is legible.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  14. saifshk17

saifshk17

Yes but my UI is in world space so it needs to stay in the position where it is. This UI is an image with written text. So is there an alternate solution?

15. SOIL

SOIL

After the Lightbaker made problems in all 2019 versions, I was happy with the latest Unity 2020.xxx. The Oculus Integration & XR also run without problems. Simple 3D model scene, with a few animations and no other code features. The head tracking is super smooth. Timestep 0.1111 (90hz) for my Quest 2. But the animations jitter as well. Is there a solution for this now?

16. Incode

Incode

You have a variety of options, but we'd need to know more about your setup. You can disable mipmaps on textures, but that can result in a shimmering effect on your text as the camera moves. You can also try increasing the font size, and then decreasing the scale, or try adjusting the dynamic pixels per unit on your canvas scaler.

Lastly, if none of these solutions work, you may want to consider changing or redesigning the way they're positioned in world-space so that they're closer to the player.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    Arclite83 likes this.
  17. gargmukul121

gargmukul121

18. SOIL

SOIL

• Do not be abusive or drag company staff ex or otherwise into discussions of a technical nature.
    HEAVY jittering/stutter still in 2019.x and in 2020.x - whatever unity is talking about, there is nothing fixed! They have other problems, like how many sexual predators are still in the company, for example. Helgason left the company, maybe because he was the predator. *fg "WHO CARES?!" ..... And NO - I wont always "DELETE THE LIBRARY FOLDER" and reimport everything, just because Unity has forgotten to do its job and someone in here thinks that's the solution for everything. That is so embarrassing and thousands of miles away from being professional!

If I start a simple project - AS A VETERAN! - and I publish it to my stupid, S*** OCULUS quest 2 - then it has to run smoothly from the beginning, because we have 2020!!!! and not 1984!!!!!!!! Jittering, Stutter, TimeDelta problems, Lightbaker for the trashbin!!!!! (look at plugin Bakery plus realtime tool as well!), Collab = BULLSHIT!, URP problems wihout any end - URP 9.x (which is still in development) ETC:..........

Is here anyone, who still has the jittering issue? Timestep to 0.11111 doesn't make ANY difference!
    tested with ALL 2019,.x versions... as well with 2020.1, which is the one I need, because that stupid, F*** engine does have so many URP problems on 2019.x that I ask myself, how can a company go with that thing into production?!

appendix for hippocoder: i
    t's not the fault of the developers. It's always the fault of those who run the company! but hey, tell that a developer -.-

Have fun repairing what cannot be repaired by you or someone else here in this thread. Therefore every further word here is superfluous. And the ban just ridiculous.

Adios!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  19. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter

This is a complete joke from unity clamining they fixed it i mean do they test these fixes? clearly its not fixed basicly any object that is being moved using delta.time is jittery meaning you simply can not use unity for vr development for the quest at this point, as a paying customer of unity i am just concidering moving over to UE at this point

SOIL likes this.
  20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

SOIL is no longer able to post on this specific thread. No matter how frustrating an issue might be of a technical nature, it must always remain technical, not abusive.

Unity can't improve if the only feedback is anger. Please post bug reports, case numbers etc if issues don't appear to be solved by the forum in a timely manner. Attacking staff or company is not the answer.

Gruguir likes this.
  21. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

You should try it then, or post bug reports. I hate to be that guy, but posting real bug reports and including the case # number in your replies is and always has been, the most effective way to get Unity to look at an issue.

The reason for this is that the vast majority of issues are the developer's fault. Unity does have bugs but they cannot respond to all users on the forum without a case number so they can see the problem for what it is, and not what the developer thinks it might be.

unityunity