Search Unity

Jitter when transitioning between different angled VCams following a physics-driven target.

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by adamgryu, Jan 22, 2019.

1. adamgryu

adamgryu

Hi there!

I have two VCameras following the same target - which is driven by rigidbody movement.

The VCams follow the target at different angles. When the target moves from one region to the next, it transitions from one angle to another.

I've noticed that even with SmartUpdate, I get visible jitter on cameras when they are transitioning and rotating at the same time. It's subtle but it's definitely there.

My theory is that this occurs because the VCams are each updating only on the FixedUpdate loop, however, the ActiveBlend is always advanced during the LateUpdate loop.

If the physics is running at 30FPS and the game is running at 60FPS, then there will be at least 1 render frame between 2 physics frames, where the active blend is advanced but both VCams haven't actually moved since the last render frame. This causes a slight jitter since during the off-frames, the blend is advancing with outdated VCam information.

In an older project of mine, I hacked a solution by moving the ActiveBlend increment into the fixed update loop. However, this was tricky to get working well and makes it difficult to update Cinemachine.

Is there a way to solve this without modifying the Cinemachine source code? Is there already a bug filed for this problem?

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Thanks for this description. We weren't aware of this problem. If you could file a bug report, with a reliable repro case, we will be able to queue up a fix for it.
    Thanks.

3. Kichang-Kim

Kichang-Kim

@Gregoryl I definitely suffurs this issue. Minimum reproducible project is sent as Case 1158509.

Gregoryl likes this.
  4. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

@Kichang-Kim Thank you for filing that bug. The issue has been fixed and the fix will be in the next CM release.

Kichang-Kim likes this.