Search Unity

JetBrains Rider code completion is horrible

Discussion in 'Code Editors & IDEs' started by TwiiK, Dec 7, 2018.

1. TwiiK

TwiiK

Anyone here using Rider?

I posted this on the official Rider forums, but they seem pretty dead so I'm curious if anyone here share my issues. Also I'm not sure if this is a Rider issue or a an issue with the Unity plugin. I've tried removing the plugin, but the problem persisted from what I could tell.

Whenever I type something in a MonoBehaviour class the MonoBehaviour methods are always on top of the code completion suggestions even when they aren't a very good fit for what I'm typing. For example if I type "public Tr" you would expect "Transform" to be the top suggestion, but it's not even on the first page, it's filled with "OnTriggerEnter" etc. I have to type the entire word "Transform" for it to appear as the top suggestion. And if I start typing "tr" inside a method I would expect "transform" to be suggested, but "Transform" is suggested instead.

I honestly can't remember if it's always been this bad, but at the moment I find it to be unacceptable and for that reason I imagine this must be something that has happened recently otherwise I would have stopped using Rider. :p It's always suggesting the wrong thing and I have to type the entire word for it to actually suggest the correct thing.

My post on the official forums:
    https://rider-support.jetbrains.com...001829739-Code-completion-sorting-is-unusable

2. TwiiK

TwiiK

Upgrading to the latest early access version of Rider seems to have fixed the specific issues I had.

3. Baste

Baste

If you have issues with autocompletion, file a bug-report. Rider often accepts and handles those, I've seen a bunch like this one in the patch notes. If you want improvements to the Unity plugin, you can post an issue on it's github.

TwiiK likes this.