Search Unity

JetBrains Rider - Awesome cross-platform code editor from the people who make Resharper

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Meltdown, May 21, 2017.

1. Meltdown

Meltdown

The thing is, this is the thread that's going to come up first on google, and so people are going to respond to it. Why not auto-lock threads after a few weeks?

frosted and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  2. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@UnityMaru read your own rules more carefully, only "Pointless Necroposting" is against the rules.

And the definition is pretty useless when you think about it:

"1i. Pointless necroposting (posting in a forum thread that is too old to matter any more, or has served its purpose)"

If someone posts to an old thread almost by definition it matters to someone (i.e. the new poster). Trying to determine if the thread has 'served its purpose' is delving in to the philosophical (what's a threads purpose? The intent of the original poster isn't the be all and all of the thread, there are plenty of threads that deviate from the original posters intent but generate rich discussion).

Not to mention as @Meltdown said there's the simple mechanical aspects of it: old posts often come up first in a google search, so its going to happen. Furthermore, given that these old threads tend to come up first in google it may actually be beneficial for the new discussions to take place in the old threads.

---

Overall, I don't think there's a problem with how it plays out now, but I would suggest that putting an officially slant on it , particularly a stricter one than written in the rules, may be detrimental.

Meltdown likes this.
  3. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Well in cases like this thread where it is a thread for a popular release, posting here would be fine. It isn't pointless.

My reasoning for the reply was not because the thread was bumped, but rather the reply being six words in a dead thread. That's not really going to reignite the conversation :)

4. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Of course, no problem in regard to this post, was just making the point when you as community engagement manner say necroing isn't allowed without adding the nuance captured in the rules it carries a lot of weight.

Anyway its a small point, I guess it doesn't need further discussion :)