Search Unity

Javascript reference other object

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by serpentxx, Jul 30, 2014.

1. serpentxx

serpentxx

Hey all,

I am very new to unity and coding, i have hacked together a simple raycasting script that i attached to the FPS controller and it spits out an objects name to the debug console when i click it

Now i have created a new object with a guitext on the ui layer that i want to display the object name there

my added code in function update is:

var debugtxt = gameObject.GetComponent("DebugText.GUIText");
    debugtxt.text = ("TEXT");

It instead gives me this error

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.GetDispatcher (System.Object target, System.String cacheKeyName, System.Type[] cacheKeyTypes, Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.DispatcherFactory factory)
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.GetDispatcher (System.Object target, System.Object[] args, System.String cacheKeyName, Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.DispatcherFactory factory)
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.SetProperty (System.Object target, System.String name, System.Object value)
    raycasttest.Update () (at Assets/raycasttest.js:17)

So i can see i am not referencing the DebugText GUItext component properly, how can i do this?

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You need to get the component only; "DebugText.GUIText" isn't valid syntax. See the docs for GetComponent for examples, also here. Also never use strings in GetComponent.

--Eric