Search Unity

JavaScript legacy, What to do to safeguard references and forum posts?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by mezzostatic, Dec 8, 2017.

1. mezzostatic

mezzostatic

Hi, I use Unity JavaScript for procedural art, simple games and fast coding. If a language can write marching cubes and synthesizers, it's good enough for me.

What can we do to safeguard the references and learning material related to Javascript after it is deprecated?

Are we going to lose other online tools to help us code it? Unify3D scripts, forum sections and posts, that we should copy to an archive for the future?

2. nat42

nat42

I feel this begs the question why C# is not "good enough" for you then? ;)

I thought it was already depreciated. It seems like the help is versioned (you presumably would have to select a version of Unity that includes "UnityScript" but it seems reasonable to expect that Unity won't remove that part of the help from the old version's online help)

I don't think there is an area of the forum just for UnityScript now, just a tag that users apply semirandomly, and there seems no talk of removing any such posts so this seems premature perhaps?

lordofduct likes this.
  3. lordofduct

lordofduct

Agreed w/ @nat42.

The unity help/documentation is all versioned. The old versions are going no where. As you can see all the old versions are still up, and will continue to be up:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/560/Documentation/Manual/ManualVersions.html

And if you go to say Unity 3.5.1, which had 'Boo Script' support. You'll notice that you can still see the scripting references in Boo:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/351/Documentation/ScriptReference/index.Accessing_Other_Components.html

And yeah, we don't delete forum posts.

As for Unify3D, well... Unity does not control that. It's maintained by members of the unity user community. What stays and goes on there is up to them. If there is a demand for unityscript, they'll probably continue maintaining it. Otherwise, you'll have to ask them.

Moving forward though, if you want to stay on the latest version of Unity. You might as well start picking up some C#. It's really not that hard to learn, especially if you already know some programming with unityscript.