Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Java First??

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by WaldoX, Dec 20, 2019.

1. WaldoX

WaldoX

C# in unity is so confusing. should i start with java before C# to get better understanding it or should i start out with C#. If so what be the best learning tool and so far to understanding like khan academy.

2. doarp

doarp

If you want to learn Unity what is the point of learning Java? Unity only supports C# as the scripting backend.

I would start with basic C# for Unity tutorials. There is very little to know to get started and a pure C# course will waste your time on 90% stuff you don’t need to get started.

3. WaldoX

WaldoX

Alright well I thought that learning some stuff in java could help me understand C#.

4. doarp

doarp

These are 99% the same languages, with minor syntax differences.

funny story: in early 00’s Microsoft wanted to buy Java but were unable to, so they went ahead and built .net and C# which are much better anyway.

5. WaldoX

WaldoX

ohh so that how the story goes. well i learn something new today thanks

6. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

If you want to be decent at writing scripts in Unity, you'd want to learn computer programming however you can: variable types, tricks with assigmnents, ifs and nested ifs, loops, classes and fields, lists and indexes, and functions with parameters and return values. You can solve most Unity problems with that stuff, and you can learn it anywhere in any language.

If someone you know, in real life, has recommended a Java textbook, and is available to sometimes ask questions, you should read that Java book. C# is uglier and has more useless gunk in it, but if your friend knows C# better and has a good C# book, use that. You should be able to download a free Java editor.

Any book from the library is better than everything on the web. Leaf through a few. If the Java one seems to make more sense, check that one out. C# books tend to be worse, since, to repeat myself, they tend to waste your time with more of the useless gunk.

7. doarp

doarp

I'm sorry but this is both un-true and bad advice.
    No need to spend any time in one line of Java for someone who wants to learn Unity and write C# scripts.

8. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

You wrote that Java is 99% the same as C# -- did you change your mind? There's no NEED to learn Java. The issue is learning programming, which Java can do for you.

Most people assume online stuff is good without reading it. You wrote to start with "basic C# for Unity tutorials". Find them, take a minute to skim them and take notes. I've never seen a good one. They're all 1 odd example without much explanation why they did it that way. A Java textbook is OK because every "C# for Unity" is so bad.

9. WaldoX

WaldoX

alright ill try some books out. I found one call C# in a Nutshell not sure if that any good or not because My friends lend me it.
    update:
    Also do you need to know math first of all. I heard from people you do not have to?

10. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

If you're happy with 8th grade algebra and n=f(x,y) or n=f(g(x),7), that can speed up learning how computer functions work.

Making a game could have math like pos.x=10+1.5*n;. Hopefully you know x is left/right from geometry and "times" goes before "plus" from 4th grade(?) So you know the values are 10, 11.5, 13, 14,5 ... .

11. WaldoX

WaldoX

Ya I know. I'll try making little games first before I do anything first person games. It seems when I try to make my own first person game I get so confused like, the main menu when I try to find out how to make the camera move down and then stop at a point. I got confused and looking for answers and when i look at c# coding it was some what confusing.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019