Search Unity

Question Jarring jolt when cutting between tracked dolly cameras.

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by Reverend-Speed, May 6, 2022.

1. Reverend-Speed

Reverend-Speed

I'm looking to cut between two dolly cameras - but instead of an instantaneous cut, I'm getting a fraction of a moment where the camera moves. It's quiet jarring... anybody know what could be causing it, what the solution might be?

In order to solve this, I'm now setting the position on the cut as follows,
    vcam.GetCinemachineComponent<CinemachineTrackedDolly>().m_PathPosition = dollyTrack.FindClosestPoint(vcam.Follow.position, 0, -1,40);
    but it doesn't seem to eliminate the jolt. Any ideas folks?

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Can you show a video of the problem?

3. Reverend-Speed

Reverend-Speed

I hope you're able to download this...! The issue begins to show up at the 30 second mark - you'll see a jolt as the camera cuts. This can happen on any set of dolly cameras, but doesn't happen all the time, even more annoyingly.

4. Reverend-Speed

Reverend-Speed

This issue is turning up on a lot of the cameras I've laid out. Has anybody any suggestions for solutions? It's quite distracting...!

5. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the upload. Yes, I see the jolts. It's a bit frustrating because I can't freeze-frame on the problem spots to analyze what's going on. I can't say off the top of my head what the problem is. Normally we don't have those artifacts with Cinemachine.

Would you be willing to send me this project so I can look at it more closely?

Reverend-Speed likes this.
  6. Reverend-Speed

Reverend-Speed

Absolutely, how would suit you?

7. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

You can send me a zip of the project by DM. It will be much smaller if you delete the Library folder before zipping.

Reverend-Speed likes this.
  8. CosmicBoy

CosmicBoy

I had this same issue, and I somewhat solved it because one of the dollys I was transitioning to was not 0,0,0 on its transform component like the one I was transitioning from. Might not be the solution for you though but worth a check

9. Reverend-Speed

Reverend-Speed

Thanks for the suggestion, @CosmicBoy ! I'm not 100% certain I understand, however - most of my dolly cameras aren't at 0,0,0 as they're moving through space on the spline tracks. Would you mind rephrasing that? Just a bit confused! =D