Search Unity

James Versus the Blobs - Unity Pixel Art Project

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by JamesArndt, May 19, 2012.

1. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

So I've taken my educational programming project here to another level and I might actually use this as a base for an iPad game. I was practicing more C# and using the new Rage Pixel tools to paint pixel art inside of the Unity editor. Anyways this is called James Vs. The Blobs. Yes that's me in pixel form, and my second favorite food as well. I couldn't quite figure out how to draw up nachos quick... :)

Link the WebPlayer: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16956434/JamesVStheBlobs/WebPlayer.html

2. Sir-Tiddlesworth

Sir-Tiddlesworth

That is not a bad start so far. I really do like the graphical style. Reminds me of my old Sega Master System :)

I have noticed a few glitches though. The biggest one is when you walk off to the far right and the walk back, the object depth goes funny. You start walking behind trees, walking through the platform, moving behind clouds, and sometimes you disappear altogether.

3. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Ah dang it! That technically shouldn't be able to happen, but I'm reproducing the same bug. I think I know where this is in code. I didn't zero out the Z axis. Good catch and thank you! Look, I haven't even hardly started and we're doing QA lol.

4. Torsh

Torsh

I like the pixel art. It really gives you that retro feel.

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

nice work man :D

edit: making me hungry..

6. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Link to a WebPlayer: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16956434/JamesVStheBlobs/WebPlayer.html

I've made some updates to the environment art. Integrated respawning if you fall off any edges. I've scripted a fake parallax effect (my camera is orthographic)...the script just offsets the transforms of the background objects based around the camera and a speed variable. I've implemented a spike pit as a proof of concept of damage/health for player. I've also created a new control system for the character using a capsule collider/rigidbody combo and physics forces to drive it's motion (was using character controller before). Implemented a "speech" system to tell the story and/or give our character thoughts/motives. I've also put in some stand-in animations for idle and walking. Jump animation will not play yet, it's a code bug not yet sorted out yet.

7. Heu

Heu

Very nice i LOVE the pixel art!

8. Canadania

Canadania

This looks like a really fun and promising project; I hope it does well! Best of luck to you!

9. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Ahhhh look there James doing Pixel art as well... good going there mate! Keep rolling!!

10. SevenBits

SevenBits

Plays like a charm.

Too bad you can't win, and you can fall off the edges.

11. lukasaurus

lukasaurus

Looks really nice

Some criticism -

The art styles are great, however, you have three distinct styles mixed together. The main character is low-res, block outlined, and he looks great. The ground blocks are very low res compared to the tree and the main character.

If you removed the block outline from the main character, I think he would fit into the scene a lot better. The blocks I assume are placeholders, since you are clearly capable of more.

edit : forgot to mention the third art style - the burger. That is quite high res compared to the other objects. The other objects all seem to use the same scale, but the burger's pixel "resolution" is tiny compared to the others.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  12. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

+1

The mix of Black outlined and non outlined items is clashing a bit. It can be pulled off, but I think it needs some work. Looks good, keep it up!

13. virror

virror

Looks very good!
    But agree with thee above two, first thing that caught my eye was that the burger looked a lot more high res then the rest.
    Very promising game though : )

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

A great high resolution burger satisfies so much.

15. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Hey everyone thanks for the comments. It's still very much a work in progress. A lot of the tiles (especially the ground ones) aren't painted up to full res yet. They're just stand in for now. As you'll see in this image I'm working on a higher resolution version of the character too.

I am using Photoshop, the RagePixel plugin in Unity and an app on my iPad called Edge TOUCH to paint the sprites. With that in mind I did end up getting some scale inconsistency and such. I'm working it out and will be constantly improving it. The elements for a game are getting into place (health, pickups, text blobs and such), but it's not nearly a game yet. There will be challenge and game like mechanics coming soon.

PS - A high res cheeseburger no less!

16. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I've always kinda loved the way these characters were drawn an animated...but are there examples of an environment that looks outlined like that?

17. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Okay so I think I'm getting closer to getting this character to match the environment resolution.

Last edited: May 29, 2012