Search Unity

Jade's Ransom - Unity3D Mobile Project - Final Uni Piece

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by burnill, Mar 24, 2012.

1. burnill

burnill

So for my final semester at University I have to create a working game, that you has a purpose, a start and finish. Gone with mobile platform game (android and iPhone). It's a top down stealth game. Simple (because I'm not the best scripter in the world at the moment) game mechanics, crouch/stealth and tap objects in the scene to interact with them. I thought it was be nice to share some screens and what we are up to here, hopefully create a bit of a buzz as we are releasing it on the app stores.

The main character is Jade Stone, a recently widowed cartoony style character who has been lumped with the debt of her deceased husband and forced into a life of crime to pay back the huge sum.

Everythings being made from scratch with 3dsmax, zbrush and Unity3D.

I'll post bits and bobs here an everything else will go on the website in time.

http://jadesransom.me.pn

Heres a link to my work partners portfolio: http://christianjohnharris.eu.pn/

DISCLAIMER>> It's all work in progress so if you see placeholders or things missing then mention it but remember it will probably go in within the next few weeks or so

House Level

FloorPlan

WiP

Finished

2. burnill

burnill

Floor Plan

WiP

Finished scene

3. NomadKing

NomadKing

Looks fun so far, nice clean visual style :)

4. burnill

burnill

Floor Plan

WiP

Finished

5. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

I like the style, so I'm guessing your a designer? The levels, are they made is 3Ds Max? If so are you using any plugins?

6. burnill

burnill

Yeah, I'm a level designer at heart but at the moment I kind of have my fingers in all sorts of role pies (programmer, enviro artist etc). The levels and gameObjects are built in 3DSMax (no plugins) and for some of the more special objects they are Zbrushed and retopped (hard surface is good for the portfolio). Then they are thrown into Unity :)

7. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

I like tham. Great work you deserve to graduate. I am a programmer at heart but I'm trying to learn design(Not going to well)... I also am trying to learn animation(Huge pain in the a**). But I'm learning on my own, no school no teacher so its a kinda learn as you go thing. I know this is game is a Final but you should think about selling it. It looks fun i'd most likely buy it... anyways good luck!

8. burnill

burnill

Believe me when I say youtube tutorials have probably taught me more than my class tutors haha.

We've been told by our tutors that they have a developers license so putting it on the store would be an easy task methinks. I'll put up a little video of the gameplay soon see if people still like the idea :)

9. burnill

burnill

Adding the main character Jade into the levels, getting the animations to run smoothly, will probably take a good week! :(

10. Patapouffe

Patapouffe

Nice art style ! Looking good ! I like that you put something similar to the windows XP wallpaper on that computer haha !

11. burnill

burnill

Windows XP ftw!

12. thellama

thellama

Looks good, excited to see more when you have it.

cheers!

13. burnill

burnill

Finally got the animations working intutively, (turns out in 3DSMax the base wasn't quite at 0,0,0 so it was offset oddly) going to implement them across all levels now and hopefully have a nice gameplay video out by the end of the week. Here's another WiP level

Jewellery Store
    Floorplan

Final

iPad testing

14. burnill

burnill

Bank Level

Taking a different step for this level, we have broken the Bank level up into 3 seperate levels to enable us to do more with the levels (due to phone restrictions) Hopefully this will work well and not change the flow of the whole game too drastically.

Floorplan

WiP

Finished

15. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Looks great, I like how you actually have a blueprint before hand to plan everything out.

16. burnill

burnill

Spent the past few days making a working achievement system, looking at facebook api and testing the Alpha with a handful of University students.
    We've also got a few more levels to churn out. Aswell as some gameplay mechanics to fix. However we are still on track to get a little gameplay video of the Alpha out by the end of this week.

In the meantime we set up an indiedb page:

http://www.indiedb.com/games/jades-ransom

please feel free to share, we will be putting updates on here and there :)

17. burnill

burnill

18. burnill

burnill

Bank Offices

Floorplan

Finished

19. SevenBits

SevenBits

Liking the nice, clean visual style.

20. burnill

burnill

As promised we are releasing gameplay footage of our game Jade's Ransom. What is in this video is 7 weeks worth of work. Modelling, Programming and Animating towards this point.

Please remember that this game is still work in progress and what you see here is mainly not going to be in the final product.

21. burnill

burnill

Hey guys, sorry for the long silence. I've finally made an Alpha Gameplay Trailer. There's a short version and a full length version depending on what time you can spare to watch it :)

Short

Full

Also I'm going to upload the .apk file. For those of you with Android phones, you can test out our Alpha version (and hopefully give feedback(please!))
    To install the alpha these are the instructions:

- Download the app here: http://www.2shared.com/file/GjPJT0ol/V2_JR.html
    - Plug your phone into your PC via your USB cable
    - Put the downloaded app onto your phones storage device
    - Disconnect your phone from the PC
    - On your Android phone, navigate to the folder you placed the app in (using the built in file manager or an app called ASTRO from the marketplace)
    - Tap the app icon (V2_JR) and follow the install instructions.
    - DONE!

The controls for the game are:
    - Analogue stick to move around
    - Crouch button in bottom right corner to avoid traps and hide in places
    - Pause button top right corner lets you quit to the main menu

PLEASE NOTE!!!

This is an alpha, and an early one at that. Alot of the glowing objects are placeholders at the moment and not actually collectible, the scores are not final or accurate and the animations need polishing.

Please give me any and all feedback, even if you think its obvious we are going to be fixing it anyway. It all counts and helps so don't be shy =)

I hope you all enjoy this little taster, thankyou for testing!

22. burnill

burnill

Kinda underestimated the size of this project and that one man doing all of the programming is a massive ask for a 3D game world! However I have persevered and am currently working on polishing the Mobile build as fast as I can type code....
    However...
    I have got our Beta to work within the web browser! So anyone can play it!
    It's not quite as polished as the mobile version but please point the bugs out anyway because you may see something I have missed :)
    Enjoy and leave feedback :)

http://lmugamesoc.com/jadesransom

23. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

24. Priske415

Priske415

Looks neat but the character movement looks frustratingly slow, may consider playing with her speed a bit.

25. burnill

burnill

Speed increased!

Updated the demo page now, some sizing problems have occurred from scaling up from a phone device but levels are intact! and scoring works too :)

http://lmugamesoc.com/jadesransom/

26. burnill

burnill

Heres a fly through of every level in the game!

http://youtu.be/3GG9WLfRsvc

27. yahodahan

yahodahan

Looking good, nice to see gameplay videos! :D

28. burnill

burnill

Meet the team!

http://youtu.be/s8j0PtPdrE0

29. burnill

burnill

Thanks guys for all your feedback. We pushed and pushed and have finally finished the game, but that's not all

We entered it into Game Republic (A Yorkshire based competition which had judges made up of Rockstar Leeds, Sumo Digital, Four Door Lemon and Just Add Water!) and placed 2nd for Games Design out of 25 other teams!!
    http://gamerepublic.net/networking-e...showcase-2012/

Also, and this is the big one, WE FINALLY GOT IT PUBLISHED. It's available for Free on the Android Marketplace (GooglePlay). We are hoping to release it on iOS very shortly, it's a tougher process atm.
    So feel free to get a copy for your Android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...VzUmFuc29tIl0.

>Oh, and we got 83/100 for the project, First Class. Which meant most of us got First Class Degrees (Hons) in the end

30. Farfarer

Farfarer

Nice, you did this at Leeds Met? 83's an impressive mark, well played!

I've just finished that course, myself :p

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  31. burnill

burnill

Cheers dude, yeah graduating from the MET this May!
    Just seen your portfolio, amazing stuff! Where have you been hiding yourself, don't think I have seen you about on campus.

32. Farfarer

Farfarer

I've been doing the final year part time over the last 2 years (as I'm already working full time). Not been on campus this year as it's just been the final project which I was working on by myself so I've not had call to go into uni much :)

Where'd you find out your final grade, btw? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

33. burnill

burnill