Search Unity

I've released my second game , what do you guys think :D

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by alpgurbuzer_unity, Jul 29, 2019.

1. alpgurbuzer_unity

alpgurbuzer_unity

deliquescator and peopleUnity like this.
  2. James-Sullivan

James-Sullivan

That's a well made game. I really like the visual polish to it, how the new obstacles expand outward and how you can see where you've hit it previously with the paint splatters.

I do think that the video ad part of it is poorly communicated though. A play button with a ring around it doesnt say watch this video ad to get a reward to me. I was pressing it thinking it gets me back to playing faster.

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  4. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Whats the difference from for example frosted's steam page feedback thread? Both asking for feedback.

5. frosted

frosted

I do agree that it's kinda unfair that our post was allowed to stay up. I do tend to think of it as a perk for being an active, dedicated long time forum member though. We see a lot of the same names pop up in thread after thread here, and I would expect pretty naturally that if any of the regular users posted a similar thread it'd be better received. Unfair? Kinda, but not totally. Membership has its privileges.

Teila, peopleUnity and Socrates like this.
  6. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

It might seem like a small thing, but its nepotism, and its a ugly practice. Nothing against you offcourse. I think both this and your thread adds to a discussion. Just let them be

7. frosted

frosted

I don't know if I'd call it nepotism. Building a social network and community membership is a valuable thing in any endeavor.

8. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

So to get this thread back on track, OP I think the game looks fun and reasonably well polished for what it is.

I definately think next time you should soft launch first ( no mobile game should ever launch without a soft launch unless you are 100% sure of what your retention and engagement stats will be), as in launch the game in a specific tier 1 territory (canada and australia are good ones to use) as well as potentially a tier 2 and 3 territory (think somewhere like poland and somewhere like vietnam) to gauge user engagement and retention and then work on upping those numbers before doing a full launch, you will likely find you end up with very nice stats compared to current performance.

Other than that I think youve done great on this and should feel proud!

alpgurbuzer_unity likes this.
  9. Ryiah

Ryiah

One major aspect for me is that @frosted is very active with this community. He didn't just show up out of nowhere, create a thread for his game, and then was never seen again. By the way this isn't the first time the OP has showed up, spammed his game, and was never seen from again. Last time he posted threads all over the place and they got deleted.

While they haven't all been deleted this time around (his thread in the 2D section was deleted), I'm willing to bet he won't show up again. If that's the case then it's a safe bet that he only cared for his game to get attention.

Another major aspect is in the value of the threads. Frosted started with a thread about recent releases, followed it up with critiquing his page, followed that up with the launch and some info on how it turned out based on the way he handled the critique, and will be following it up with a post mortem.

There is a good deal of value there for people wanting to release, and while he is using his game as the focus example the game itself was never truly the main topic of the thread. The critique thread, for example, was about creating steam pages that attract people to your game.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    Teila, Antypodish, Ony and 2 others like this.
  10. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Damn, If I had known that I wouldnt have bothered offering advice to them! :oops:

peopleUnity likes this.
  11. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Didnt know they were spammers. But I know for a fact content like this from other long time mebers have been locked and refered to the WIP section, which is a ghost town.

Ryiah likes this.
  12. frosted

frosted

Being moved to WIP is a death sentence.

13. frosted

frosted

I donno, as a user of the forum - I generally want to see more actual project content - anything from discussion of production issues to post mortem. As long as self promotion isn't the main goal.

Ony and Ryiah like this.
  14. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Self promotion on a dev only forum?

15. frosted

frosted

yeah man, if they didn't filter out self promo, this entire forum would look like WIP and would be absolutely covered in asset store items.

Like if you look at the Unity3d reddit, it's all professional devs posting animated gifs of their work acting like they're hobbyists.

Ony and Ryiah like this.
  16. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Ah okey sure. I'm more thinking about us that make actual games

17. SamohtVII

SamohtVII

I run on the idea that if someone puts effort into selling me there game via the forums i'm more receptive but "Hey here is my game *Store link* *Store link*" is like a slap in the face. But something also gets under my skin when someone is like "Hey do you think red is a good color for my games download button? *store link*"

frosted and peopleUnity like this.
  18. Murgilod

Murgilod

What does this even mean?

19. Murgilod

Murgilod

How? Why?

20. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I would say thats a artistic style he has choosen, not bad ghraphics per say.

21. alpgurbuzer_unity

alpgurbuzer_unity

Hey thank you all for your responses :D I was unable to answer you guys because I was a little bit busy these last days.

22. alpgurbuzer_unity

alpgurbuzer_unity

I am trying to get some feedback and I need a lot of it :D

23. alpgurbuzer_unity

alpgurbuzer_unity

Hey please don't exaggerate the situation I only posted on 2 places and one of them got deleted so I did not spam ads all over the place. Please don't spread hatred to me if you don't like it please don't respond and make people think badly about me. All I need is feedback about the game not spamming. Have a good day :)

24. alpgurbuzer_unity

alpgurbuzer_unity

Hey thank you for your response. I've thought about soft launching but that needs a lot of money if I want tier 1 countries.

25. alpgurbuzer_unity

alpgurbuzer_unity

Thank You :D

26. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Actually soft launching is pretty much free. You can spend whatever money you want. Generally you just use the time to test what works and what doesnt in terms of keeping users.

Not sure where you got the info about it "costing", or what you think those costs would be? All soft launching is is releasing in a couple of countries first to test the waters, and get some actual stats on your game before launching everywhere and potentially missing decent retention. The first day or 2 of launch matters ,so the better your game is at keeping initial users the better. Hence why you soft launch and then gather stats, and then adjust your games mechanics, UI etc so that those stats move more in your favour.

Edit: also please dont post multiple comments in a row replying to people, just condense them into a single comment. Also dont post the same thread in more than 1 place in the future, and you will likely get higher quality conversation in the thread.

27. alpgurbuzer_unity

alpgurbuzer_unity

How will I reach people on those countries
    It is impossible even on a normal launch to get people to download your game for free

28. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

What? No its not. Your making statements with no basis in reality. I released a crappy game with crappy graphics and got downloads in a ton of territories from tier 1 to tier 3 within the first couple of days with 0 marketing. You literally just need to soft launch.

Anyway Ive given my advice, its up to you whether to take it or not, but I really think you need to reassess your understanding of launching a game, aquiring and retaining users and make sure your basing it on research not just "guessing" like you seem to be.

frosted likes this.
  29. alpgurbuzer_unity

alpgurbuzer_unity

This is my second game and none of the two got any downloads without advertisements. I am not just guessing I experienced this. There are thousands of games launched everyday and unfortunately this makes it impossible for people to see them.