Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

I've just made my first portfolio, how is it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheBlackBox, Jan 17, 2016.

1. TheBlackBox

TheBlackBox

Hey there,

I've just published my portfolio, ready for when I go to college. I was wondering if you had any feedback that you could offer me in terms of design, information or even content.

http://brandonsidebottom.weebly.com/

I still have some games to post onto my portfolio, but they are all of the main highlights.

Thanks for reading, let me know what you think! :)

(I believe that it is okay to post this here, let me know if I'm wrong)

2. elmar1028

elmar1028

Nice website. But there are some things that must be done:

1) Get rid of .weebly.com It makes you look amateurish!
    2) "Super Combat Arena" lacks an image on the main page
    3) Put some screenshots or videos for each game. Keep in mind that Unity Web Player got deprecated and doesn't work on Google Chrome, so you'll have to rely on traditional ways of displaying information.
    4) Present information about your portfolio item in a clearer way
    5) Avoid wall of text - put some images in between where possible (but not too much) TL;DR users will be disappointed
    6) Make it easier for users to find where is your portfolio at. E.g put a "Download Here" / "Buy Now" button at the bottom of the portfolio item page (where possible) to make it easier for users to access your work

That's all I had! :)

Martin_H likes this.
  3. TheBlackBox

TheBlackBox

Thanks a lot! I'll be sure to get straight to work on all of these changes, and unfortunately I can't afford to get rid of the .weebly just yet, although I do plan to soon.

Thanks for the feedback!

Martin_H likes this.
  4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Confidence is key. Don't tell me your games are not interesting. If you don't think your games are worth playing, why should a random stranger play them? Don't apologise for your games. In general humility doesn't help in a portfolio or cv.

You also want to play to your strengths. If you are a coder, say that, and leave off the comments about art. Focus on being a good coder, rather then a poor artist.

On the game page you want to talk about sales. How many copies did you sell on steam? Cherry pick some of the more interesting reviews. You should also put up a video.

And if your game tanked on steam, then consider giving it away for free. Publicity and plays are more important then money.

elmar1028, Martin_H and TheBlackBox like this.
  5. Martin_H

Martin_H

I agree with what the others said, and I wanted to add that considering that you are only 16 I think your stuff is amazing and I see you doing really great things in the future. Nothing other than you explicitly stating it gave your age away, and I consider that a really good thing.

TheBlackBox and Kiwasi like this.
  6. TheBlackBox

TheBlackBox

Thanks for your feedback, I'll be going over my text fields updating them so that I sound as confident as I can without seeming too arrogant, or would you say arrogance is bliss when it comes to things like this? (See what I did there?) ;)

7. TheBlackBox

TheBlackBox

Wow thanks a lot, this reply has really made my day, well night, thanks a lot - and I do hope to do great things one day, your comment really means a lot to me :)

8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Focus on facts. Just pick the facts that show you in the best possible light.

A small amount of arrogance is healthy. And you deserve some arrogance too. After all, you are only 16, and you have a portfolio that rivals that of many people who have already completed game dev degrees.

TheBlackBox likes this.
  9. goat

goat

I'd think your site is OK but it's a game / art portfolio and as others have said people will ignore it as it is as it's text oriented. Myself, I glanced at the pictures and was finished. You need to create a site that they can navigate through your work visually and keep the text to a minimum. Whether you are searching to be hired or freelance or searching for funding in the future you'll need a visual site. The text you write will be in your resume, freelance proposal(s), or request(s) for funding and it'd better be written well in the language you write it in. A lot of developers think proper language doesn't matter but it does. Basically you need to think like an ad copy person in creating your portfolio site and once you have their proven interest by them contacting you can demonstrate your linguistic skills.