Search Unity

iTween animation system

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by pixelplacement1, Apr 13, 2010.

1. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

Yup! Take a look at the "path" property for Move. :)

2. simone007

simone007

I love it, but I am having difficulty using some commands with GuiTextures (like with PunchScale, PunchPosition, MoveFrom commands).
    Some commands seem to work correctly only with GUITextures attached to GameObjects with no other parents...

How should I configure the GameObject in order for its attached GUITexture to be an ideal target of an iTween command?

Please help

Simone

3. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

A simple GameObject with a GUITexture attached should work fine. What issues are you having? Have you checked out the example on the support site?

4. jhem00

jhem00

Code (csharp):
    1. iTween.MoveToBezier(gameObject,{"bezier":[Vector3(1,0,.5), Vector3(0,0,1),Vector3(-1,0,.5),Vector3(0,0,0)], "time":4, "transition":"linear"});

how can i convert it to the new syntax? sorry still new to game dev and iTween :)

5. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

Here ya go:
    Code (csharp):
    1. var path : Vector3[];
    3. function Start(){
    4.     path = new Vector3[4];
    5.     path[0] = Vector3(1,0,.5);
    6.     path[1] = Vector3(0,0,1);
    7.     path[2] = Vector3(-1,0,.5);
    8.     path[3] = Vector3(0,0,0);
    9.     iTween.MoveTo(gameObject,{"path":path,"time":4,"easetype":"linear"}); //if you do not want the object to animate to the first point on the path add "movetopath":false
    10. }
    12. function OnDrawGizmos(){
    13.     iTween.DrawPath(path);
    14. }
    You should take a look at the "Move on Path" example as well: http://itween.pixelplacement.com/examples.php#movingonpath

Hope this helps.

6. jhem00

jhem00

woah! that was so fast! you really work hard! I just started unity and itween. Its a great kickstart for me! Btw ill use it for my thesis this semester. Thanks again!

7. jhem00

jhem00

Do you have an idea what code should I use if I want to animate a fish? to make it more realistic?

Code (csharp):
    1. var path : Vector3[];
    3. function Start(){
    4.     path = new Vector3[4];
    5.    path[0] = Vector3(1,0,.5);
    6.    path[1] = Vector3(0,0,1);
    7.    path[2] = Vector3(-1,0,.5);
    8.    path[3] = Vector3(0,0,0);
    9.    iTween.MoveTo(gameObject,{"path":path,"time":4,"easetype":"linear"}); //if you do not want the object to animate to the first point on the path add "movetopath":false
    10. }
    12. function OnDrawGizmos(){
    13.    iTween.DrawPath(path);
    14. }
    this is good but the fish's head stays on one direction. please help me thanks!

btw the fish is a trigger.

8. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

I don't really have a ton of time to write out a solution to your issue but you could try cutting the fish into 3 sections and have them all follow the same path with "orientToPath" set to true.

Just a thought.

9. simone007

simone007

I have downloaded almost all the examples.

Everything works fine in my project, except for some (not all, that's the strange thing) GUITextures. It simply happens that the iTween command is not applied, nothing happens (punchScale in this example).

I checked the editor (while the project is running) and I noticed that at runtime the iTween script becomes correctly attached to the GameObject (parent of the GUITexture) for all the length of the animation, but the GUITexture does not animates.

In my project, each GUITexture is contained (obviously) in an empty GameObject. The GameObject is also the child of other GameObjects. I think this may be the problem.

Please note that all my GameObjects have Scale (0,0,0), Position (0,0,0) and Rotation (0,0,0).

Thanks for help,
    Simone

10. rikochet

rikochet

Hey I have a question. I'm doing a pretty complex nested tween based on the "Moving on a path example." Basically, I have a tween that is moving a container in a specified path through the level. Enemies spawn and move along a path within this container in another "move on path" (child of the moving tween), but with islocal being true so that it's movements follow the parent. I'm noticing that orienttopath does not work when islocal is set to true in this scenario, any ideas?

11. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

Hey guys, my new son should be here any day now so I'm focusing on that for right now. I'll help you out as soon as I can!

12. rikochet

rikochet

No worries and congrats! I did a messy solve that works for now:

Under ApplyMoveToPathTargets(), I added a conditional if "islocal" adding the position of my container tween:

Code (csharp):
    2.             if(tweenArguments.Contains("islocal")  (bool)tweenArguments["islocal"]){
    3.                 GameObject TrainTemp = GameObject.Find("Train");
    4.                 tweenArguments["looktarget"] = path.Interp(Mathf.Clamp(tLook,0,1)) +  TrainTemp.transform.position;
    5.                 print(path.Interp(Mathf.Clamp(tLook,0,1)));
    6.             } else {
    7.                 tweenArguments["looktarget"] = path.Interp(Mathf.Clamp(tLook,0,1));
    8.             }
    *edit* sorry, the indentation isn't translating over here very well

13. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey, I dont know what you did or because I'm using Unity 3 now, but iTween is working perfectly when I build my game onto my iPhone now. No big frame drops at all, its quite smooth and I love it. Thanks for this tool again. :D

14. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

This is odd. If you get a chance can you send me a sample project so I can investigate?

15. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

Can you send me a sample of your project so I can investigate this and get it fixed in iTween? Thanks!

16. Pyroman311

Pyroman311

Just wondering, since I am about to buy these two examples:

Animating 2D Menu one: How well will this work/look on an iPhone? I don't want it lagging behind and not showing smooth movement (3G and 4, possibly on 3G).

Sliding menu one: Does it include a way to switch between each screen from a finger swipe? I want it to act just like default menu's that you flick through, not by pressing an arrow button.

One last thing: How easy would it be to link the two? Like start off by showing the main menu animating in, then when the player hits "Play", it shows the sliding menu to pick what level/weapon?

Awesome examples, btw! Thanks

17. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

I just tested the Animating 2D on a 1st Gen iPhone (yup the slowest one) and it runs pegged at over 29.70 FPS which is flawless performance.

The Sliding Menu example does not include flick gestures.

You could easily load different scenes the first being an animation of GUITextures and then the next being a version of the Sliding Menu example.

Please keep in mind that as the site says, the examples that are for sale only target a specific usage of iTween to help you understand and hopefully inspire you for useful solutions where iTween could help you on your projects. They are not meant as reusable solutions. But with a little effort you could easily pull off solutions like the ones demonstrated.

I do plan on releasing some high-end iTween powered prefabs for http://www.unityprefabs.com/ soon however.

Good luck with things!

18. Pyroman311

Pyroman311

But I could definitely implement flick gestures myself, correct?

Now off to figure out how...

:)

19. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

Absolutely! I have an old and buggy script on my other code repository that I used for an isometric game if you'd like to take a look: http://code.google.com/p/pixelplace...com/pixelplacement/scripts/iSwipeIsometric.js

Apparently this needs another thing I made here: http://code.google.com/p/pixelplace...unity/com/pixelplacement/scripts/iTouchGUI.js

Sorry this is "old" and horribly done stuff at this point...

20. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

Just wanted to update everyone and let you know that a few new examples have been added to the support site to help get you up to speed. If you have any example requests please let me know!

Take a look at the new examples here: http://itween.pixelplacement.com/examples.php

21. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

All movement and rotation based iTweens now correctly work with Rigidbodies (if
    they are present) by doing their animations in FixedUpdate() and by using
    MoveRotation() and MovePosition()... think pinball flippers, bullets, etc!!

-and-

Color methods can now be sent a "namedcolorvalue" as a NamedColorValue or
    "string" for operating on the specular, emissive and reflective colors of a material!!

22. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I don't know how I missed this thread, but this looks very interesting and I'd like to give it a spin. Is there somewhere I can download the documentation?

23. Yann

Yann

@pixelplacement1 : I sent you a PM and an e-mail regarding the download links, did you receive them ?

24. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

Responded to both :)

25. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

Nope, the docs are only available on the site. Since they are simple HTML you could easily download them and get yourself a local copy. But I'm always changing things with iTween so I found it better to keep the docs on the site only.

26. defjr

defjr

Bob,

You own.

27. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

Earl,

I try.

:D

28. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hmm...one thing I noticed, that is puzzling to me, is that the first time iTween is used in a scene, a stutter is noticeable, but any use after that its smooth....why is this? Is it loading at the beginning or something?

29. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

It's not. It could be Unity's initial AddComponent call when iTween starts. I'd suggest just a dummy iTween right off the bat. Unity always stutters when it first starts. You could try a slight delay on everything until Unity initializes everything.

30. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

31. crafTDev

crafTDev

what do u mean a dummy iTween?

32. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

Just a call that doesn't move anything:

Code (csharp):
    1. iTween.MoveTo(gameObject,transform.position,0);
    Just to get iTween cached.

Just a thought, not something I'm guaranteeing will work but the theory is there.

33. crafTDev

crafTDev

Cool, Ill try that.

34. crafTDev

crafTDev

hmm, does the iTween code have to be on the object that needs to be animated? Can't I reference it and replace
    Code (csharp):
    1. iTween.MoveBy (Chara, Vector3(blah), time blah);

35. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

Nope. You can target any GameObject. For example "Chara" could be camera.main.gameObject. Cool?

36. crafTDev

crafTDev

Not exactly sure, but let me give you actual use I want.

Code (csharp):
    1. var comboGui : SpriteText;
    how would iTween reference that variable using this function:

Code (csharp):
    1. PunchScale(GameObject target, Vector3 amount, float time);
    EDIT: Scratch all what I asked. It wasnt working because I forgot to put iTween before PunchScale... lol

37. crafTDev

crafTDev

One thing I do want to know about though is that I have noticed when iTween is doing something with that gameObject already, it doesnt override it with a new input. For eg, Im using iTween to move my character backwards when being hit. Thing is if an enemy hits the player and he begins moving backwards, then before that movement ends another enemy hits him, it doesnt respond to the other enemies attack...

Does this sound familiar to you pixel?

38. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

Yup. iTween "doesn't destroy duplicates" on purpose to make sure it plays well with usage inside of Update() methods. To counter this you have a few options:

1. Utilize iTween's Stop() methods first then apply your new iTween.
    2. I assume you are using MoveBy() so just put the slightest amount of random onto the value you give it (e.g. iTween.MoveBy(go,new Vector3(0,0,2+Random.Range(0,.1)),time);
    3. Use MoveUpdate and have it lock the character's position to the value of a null object. Every impact will reposition the null by a certain amount causing the character to "slide" to this new position to match the null.

Cool?

39. crafTDev

crafTDev

Cool, I'll try that. Something else, this should work right?

Code (csharp):
    1. iTween.FadeTo(comboGui.gameObject, 0, 1);
    But nothing seems to happen for me..

40. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

What exactly is "comboGui"?

41. crafTDev

crafTDev

A text gameObject that tracks combo score.

42. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

Do you mean a GUIText?

43. crafTDev

crafTDev

Sprite Text from EZGUI, which I guess is almost the same thing.

44. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

Sorry never used EZGUI I can't support iTween with something I've never used.

45. crafTDev

crafTDev

It has the same functionality, but does more than a GUIText. It just allows me to use texture atlases.

Anyways, what would be required for a gameObject for it to be faded?

46. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

47. crafTDev

crafTDev

48. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

49. crafTDev

crafTDev

Yea, I just need to use the Transparent - Vertex Colored shader instead of my custom one.

50. z3r0

z3r0

iTween is awesome :)

I need a little help with PutOnPath.

I am using this code
    Code (csharp):
    1. iTween.PutOnPath(gameObject , aTransforms,  Speed );
    - aTransform is the array that makes the spline
    - Speed is the percentage that I use as a speed control variable.

It works ok but I want the object to also rotate along the line following the curvature.
    Is there something like “orientToPath” like in the iTween.MoveTo command or do I have to use additional functions?

I am fairly new to Unity and to this forum so I appreciate your help.