Search Unity

iTween animation framework for Unity ready for use!

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by pixelplacement1, Mar 24, 2010.

1. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

Hey everybody!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I just finished the release of iTween for the community. I'm in the middle of getting the documentation and support page together but I couldn't wait to share my work with everyone. This framework is very similar to the approach Tweener takes on the Flash side of things to make movement easy and I hope everyone finds the system approachable.

It's free to use, so knock yourselves out and I hope it saves everyone tons of time and helps you at least unify (pun intended) your abilities between Flash and Unity.

Share all of your concerns, bugs, and feature requests here and on the support page (when the contact form is ready).

Here's the site: http://www.pixelplacement.com/itween/

2. kerascoet

kerascoet

Hi,

Nice job. Congratulations.
    I tried iTween on Unity Pro 2.6.1f3 on mac and windows : just perfect.

I tried iTween on Unity iPhone Advance 1.6.0f1, and this time, I had a lot of error messages like this :

Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(861,26): BCE0051: Operator '>' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'Object' and a right hand side of type 'int'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 861)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(1085,26): BCE0051: Operator '>' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'Object' and a right hand side of type 'int'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 1085)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(1276,26): BCE0051: Operator '>' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'Object' and a right hand side of type 'int'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 1276)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(1473,26): BCE0051: Operator '>' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'Object' and a right hand side of type 'int'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 1473)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(1616,26): BCE0051: Operator '>' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'Object' and a right hand side of type 'int'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 1616)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(1640,34): BCE0051: Operator '*' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'int' and a right hand side of type 'Object'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 1640)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(1640,74): BCE0051: Operator '*' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'int' and a right hand side of type 'Object'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 1640)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(1640,115): BCE0051: Operator '*' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'int' and a right hand side of type 'Object'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 1640)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(1753,26): BCE0051: Operator '>' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'Object' and a right hand side of type 'int'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 1753)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(791,26): BCE0051: Operator '>' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'Object' and a right hand side of type 'int'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 791)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(819,29): BCE0051: Operator '>' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'Object' and a right hand side of type 'int'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 819)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(821,35): BCE0051: Operator '<' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'Object' and a right hand side of type 'int'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 821)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(822,56): BCE0004: Ambiguous reference 'Abs': UnityEngine.Mathf.Abs(int), UnityEngine.Mathf.Abs(float). (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 822)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(822,40): BCE0050: Operator '-' cannot be used with an expression of type 'error'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 822)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(824,29): BCE0051: Operator '>' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'Object' and a right hand side of type 'int'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 824)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(826,35): BCE0051: Operator '<' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'Object' and a right hand side of type 'int'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 826)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(827,56): BCE0004: Ambiguous reference 'Abs': UnityEngine.Mathf.Abs(int), UnityEngine.Mathf.Abs(float). (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 827)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(827,40): BCE0050: Operator '-' cannot be used with an expression of type 'error'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 827)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(829,29): BCE0051: Operator '>' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'Object' and a right hand side of type 'int'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 829)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(831,35): BCE0051: Operator '<' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'Object' and a right hand side of type 'int'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 831)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(832,56): BCE0004: Ambiguous reference 'Abs': UnityEngine.Mathf.Abs(int), UnityEngine.Mathf.Abs(float). (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 832)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(832,40): BCE0050: Operator '-' cannot be used with an expression of type 'error'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 832)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(718,26): BCE0051: Operator '>' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'Object' and a right hand side of type 'int'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 718)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(735,26): BCE0051: Operator '*' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'Object' and a right hand side of type 'int'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 735)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(741,26): BCE0051: Operator '*' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'Object' and a right hand side of type 'int'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 741)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(747,26): BCE0051: Operator '*' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'Object' and a right hand side of type 'int'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 747)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(755,29): BCE0051: Operator '>' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'Object' and a right hand side of type 'int'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 755)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(757,35): BCE0051: Operator '<' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'Object' and a right hand side of type 'int'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 757)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(758,50): BCE0004: Ambiguous reference 'Abs': UnityEngine.Mathf.Abs(int), UnityEngine.Mathf.Abs(float). (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 758)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(758,34): BCE0050: Operator '-' cannot be used with an expression of type 'error'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 758)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(760,29): BCE0051: Operator '>' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'Object' and a right hand side of type 'int'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 760)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(762,35): BCE0051: Operator '<' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'Object' and a right hand side of type 'int'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 762)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(763,50): BCE0004: Ambiguous reference 'Abs': UnityEngine.Mathf.Abs(int), UnityEngine.Mathf.Abs(float). (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 763)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(763,34): BCE0050: Operator '-' cannot be used with an expression of type 'error'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 763)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(765,29): BCE0051: Operator '>' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'Object' and a right hand side of type 'int'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 765)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(767,35): BCE0051: Operator '<' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'Object' and a right hand side of type 'int'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 767)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(768,50): BCE0004: Ambiguous reference 'Abs': UnityEngine.Mathf.Abs(int), UnityEngine.Mathf.Abs(float). (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 768)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(768,34): BCE0050: Operator '-' cannot be used with an expression of type 'error'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 768)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(645,26): BCE0051: Operator '>' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'Object' and a right hand side of type 'int'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 645)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(686,46): BCE0051: Operator '*' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'float' and a right hand side of type 'Object'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 686)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(687,46): BCE0051: Operator '*' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'float' and a right hand side of type 'Object'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 687)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(688,46): BCE0051: Operator '*' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'float' and a right hand side of type 'Object'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 688)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(449,26): BCE0051: Operator '>' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'Object' and a right hand side of type 'int'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 449)
    Assets/Scripts/iTween.js(614,26): BCE0051: Operator '>' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'Object' and a right hand side of type 'int'. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/iTween.js Line: 614)

I really want to use your iTween on my iPhone project.
    I hope you can fixe it.

Best regards

3. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

Ok, thanks for taking a look at things. I've been up 'till 3:00 every night this week so it's no surprise there's a bug here or there. Let me dig into it and I'll let you know!

4. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

Thanks a ton for bringing those errors to my attention. Version 1.0.2 is now online and ready for use and all of those issues are corrected!

5. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Are you planning on a c# version at all? If not does the license allow for me converting to c# myself?
    Thanks for a very nice clean system.
    Chris

6. runningbird

runningbird

Very nice.. this might help with my casual game that I'm working on...

Also would like a C# version but for now can use the current one.

7. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

I'd like to avoid fracturing off into two versions at this point. But... forgive my stupidity but can't you just use this version with both javascript and C#? If not if someone wants to take the lead on that conversion and I'll add it to the download page that would be great. I just worry about maintaining two different versions. Thoughts?

8. defjr

defjr

Wow, this looks great! Thanks for sharing. :D

9. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

Also, to everyone wanting a C# port. There is a version underway from my friend Pat and I'll let you know when it's ready for prime time! I'd like to have he and I on this project only just so we can keep things unified until all of the quirks are worked out!

10. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Good news, Ill stop my conversion effort :)

11. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

Yeah, take it easy... we got you covered!

12. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

Just as a heads up I'll probably be able to get the C# version online by the middle of next week but there may be a few bugs in it so I'd love to get you guys testing on it as soon as it's ready. Also, a few bugs were found here and there (minimal) with the JavaScript version but they have been fixed and the newest version is online. In addition, I've also put together a "getting started" video tutorial to help people get rolling with the system.

Thanks!

13. melissaNCSU

melissaNCSU

Thank you so much for sharing! Could you help me with the looping aspect of iTween? Say I have this code:

function Start () {
    iTween.punchPosition(gameObject,{"y":10,"time":4,"transition":"linear"});
    }

What would be the easiest way to have it continuously loop?

14. krys64

krys64

Hello, i have a problem with the "fadeTo" method. The tween work one time when i want an alpha to 0. But when i put a fadeTo 100 (after the first tween), there is not tween, the color.a go to 100 without transition and this all time.
    Can you help me please

édit : sorry that's working,i forgot than opacity go from 0 to 1.

15. Paradoks

Paradoks

Hi,

Your iTween is very usefull, but would it be possible to add a "moveToward" and "rotateToward" functions ?

So the gameObject moves and rotates toward an other object ?

I need it so much.

thx anyway, very good work.

PARADOKS

16. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

New JavaScript version is available (1.0.5) with a lot of fixes.

C# version is ready!! Go grab it: http://www.pixelplacement.com/iTween/

melissaNCSU:
    To loop that punch I would put your tween in a function and then call that with your callback:

P.S. the "punch" methods do not use a "transition".

Code (csharp):
    1. executeTween();
    3. function executeTween(){
    4.     iTween.punchPosition(gameObject,{"y":10,"time":4, "onComplete":"executeTween"});
    5. }
    krys64:
    Try this:

Code (csharp):
    1. iTween.fadeTo(gameObject,{"alpha":0,"time":4});
    2. iTween.fadeTo(gameObject,{"alpha":1,"time":4,"delay":4});
    PARADOKS:
    Not sure I'll have time for those additions but you could always grab a transform of a "target" GO and just use those values in your moveTo command.

17. krys64

krys64

Thanks, i forgot than opacity is différent in unity.
    For fadeto method,can you script for use it on a gameobject with a lot of materials ? I am trying to modify your class but i am not a very good developer :)

18. TwiiK

TwiiK

How do I use the javascript version in my C# project?

I've googled a bit and apparently I have to put iTween.js in one of the folders that compile before the script I want to use it from so I placed iTween.js in "Standard Assets", but I still get:

Code (csharp):
    1. The type or namespace name 'iTween' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    The reason I do not use the C# version is that it seems a bit crippled in usability as you have to specify every argument compared to just the ones you need. Surely there's an equivalent to hashtables in C#? :)

The documentation of the C# version is really awesome though. :)

19. Thomas GD

Thomas GD

Hey can you use the script for Camera?
    I used the Move script on the camera but it doesn't do anything.

20. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

krys64:
    Nope, only on the base material. Sorry, but this is free and we have a lot going on in our lives but if you need something custom maybe we can lend a hand.

Thomas GD:
    Yes, take a look at the "Hello World: Complex" :)

TwiiK:
    If you are using C#, you would have to use hashtables and construct the code as follows:

HashTable ht = new HashTable();
    ht.Add("time", 1);
    ht.Add("delay", 1.5f);
    ht.Add("x", 2);
    ht.Add("y", 1.5f);

iTween.moveTo(gameObject, ht);

This really isn't better than the current implementation we used for C#, but we can certainly add that functionality. However, until Unity supports the newest version of Mono, which apparently won't happen until at least Unity 3.0, that is what you would be stuck with if you want to call it from C#. The way it would work in c# 3.0, which the newest
    version of Mono supports (read: not until Unity 3.0) would be:

iTween.moveTo(gameObject, new HashTable(){{"time", 1}, {"delay", 1.5f},
    {"x", 2}, {"y", 1.5f}});

In the meantime, if you want to use the C# version and call it from C#, you
    can use an overload. For instance, the following calls are identical:

iTween.moveTo(gameObject, 1, 1.5f, 2, 1.5f, null);
    iTween.moveTo(gameObject, 1, 1.5f, 2, 1.5f, null, null);
    iTween.moveTo(gameObject, 1, 1.5f, 2, 1.5f, null, null, null, null);

This, I might note, is shorter than if you were to use the HashTable.

21. Cynicalized

Cynicalized

First of all thanks for sharing this great library.

I've tried the c# version and i liked it very much.Also the code is clear.I want to report 2 little bugs :

1) line : (1236,1237)

Code (csharp):
    1. newVector.x = startingPosition.z + shakeMagnitude.x;
    2. newVector.y = startingPosition.z + shakeMagnitude.y;
    4. -->
    6. newVector.x = startingPosition.x + shakeMagnitude.x;
    7. newVector.y = startingPosition.y + shakeMagnitude.y;

2) line : (1256)

Code (csharp):
    1. _transform.position = _transform.position;
    3. -->
    5. _transform.position = startingPosition;

22. TwiiK

TwiiK

Thanks for the reply. That cleared things up for me. :)

I actually read up on Hashtables in C# and ended up trying the exact same thing you have there and thought it was more impractical than the current solution so I was sure there was another way.

I'm primarily a PHP programmer and there stuff like this is so simple. :)

Ohh well, guess things do take a bit more work in C#.

23. Paradoks

Paradoks

Hi,

Does iTween manage the Texture2D too ?

cause i got an error while trying to move a Texture2D:
    Assets/Scripts/Menu.js(68,30): BCE0023: No appropriate version of 'iTween.moveTo' for the argument list '(UnityEngine.Texture2D, Boo.Lang.Hash)' was found.

Code (csharp):
    3. var layer1 : Texture2D;
    5. function Start(){
    7.         iTween.moveTo(layer1,{"x":1.7, "time":2});
    9.     }
    Thx

PARADOKS

24. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

Cynicalized:
    Fixed, thanks for the support and the find - C# 1.0.2 is online with those two lines corrected.

PARADOKS:
    iTween was designed to manipulate and animate GameObjects, therefore, in theory, any "visual" producing component attached to the supplied GameObject will be animated. This means you can control GUITexture, GUIText, and any geometry attached to a GameObject. Since Texture2D is more a data type than an actual display stack object it does not work within iTween. Hope that helps.

25. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

Found 2 issues with the JavaScript version 1.0.5 on the iPhone but fixed them in 1.0.6. Also found 3 issues with the C# version 1.0.2 and I'll get Pat on those and get you guys 1.0.3 for the C# version. Thanks!

26. Mathieu

Mathieu

Just wanted to thank you for this library :)

Did anyone tried to benchmark iTween vs AniMate?

27. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

Mathieu:
    You're welcome. I would LOVE to see benchmarks on this. I'm sure they both have their strengths and to be honest use whatever works best for you, but it would be cool to see how they stack up.

Any volunteers??

28. loadexfa

loadexfa

Is this working for people on the iPhone? I'm simply using iTween.moveTo and when I build with that one line added my game crashes after the loading screen. It works fine when I run the game in Unity with Unity Remote.

29. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

loadexfa:
    Yup, this absolutely works on iPhone. Which version are you using (js or c#)? What was the exact line you were attempting?

30. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

31. loadexfa

loadexfa

Some more details, my scripts are C# but using the js version of the library to ensure it's most current. Also I'm using Unity iPhone 1.7.

Here is what I'm trying to do:
    iTween.moveTo(this.HUDGUIObj, ht);

this. HUDGUIObj is a gameobject.

and the hash table:
    Code (csharp):
    2. Hashtable ht = new Hashtable();
    3. ht.Add("time", 2);
    4. ht.Add("delay", 0.5f);
    5. ht.Add("x", endx);
    This does work:
    Code (csharp):
    1. this.HUDGUIObj.transform.position = Vector3.Lerp(start.position, new Vector3(endx, 0.5F, 0), 1);
    Thanks for taking a look!

32. anterlee

anterlee

Hi, iTween is very usefull,.

but I can't install C# version..

error code :

Assets/iTween.cs(235,36): error CS1041: Identifier expected

How to fix this problem?

thanks.

33. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

anterlee, loadexfa:
    Hang tight! We are in the midst of fixing some things that will correct these issues, as well as adding bezier curve movement! Will let you know as soon as it's ready!

Special thanks to David for the bezier stuff!

34. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

35. Ramen Sama

Ramen Sama

I'd like more info on the fading. Is there any example videos or could i get more info on how to setup a fade?

36. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

Sure, I'll try to get something up tomorrow. In the meantime:
    Make a cube, make a material and set it to a transparent diffuse add it to the cube, add a script that says: iTween.fadeTo(gameObject,{alpha:0}); and put that on the cube.

Or just add the same script to a guiTexture.

Help? If not I'll try to get a sample project after I take my boy to baseball practice in the morning.

37. Ramen Sama

Ramen Sama

Well that actually sounds like it makes perfect sense and is quite usable.

38. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

Cool!

Bezier curves and the ability to set a target for the "onComplete" function return call should be live tonight for both the C# and JS versions!

39. loadexfa

loadexfa

Thanks so much, it works for me now! (using the C# version 1.0.10).

40. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

41. loadexfa

loadexfa

Nice update with the bezier movement. I assume there are plans to add onCompleteTarget to the C# version? :)

Thanks!

42. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

You bet! Patrick should have it done by Monday... send him an email to bug him ;)

43. GhostDog

GhostDog

Anyone get this working on the iPhone or am I having other issues? The List of beziers has a syntax error (expecting a type) as well as float? in the parm list for functions.

44. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

Should be working fine. What version number and is it C# or JS? Let me know and we'll get you on track for the iPhone.

45. defjr

defjr

I love you.

Expect to receive a donation for beer money this weekend. :)

46. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

Suh-weet! I'm glad it works man!

47. GhostDog

GhostDog

C# for the iPhone with latest version. I can give you specific errors if needed when back at the office. Generics issue with the List maybe?

48. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

Under project settings do you have your .net set to 2.1??

49. potan

potan

maan this is pretty Awesome !!
    Thanks a lot for sharing this coolness pixelplacement1

how come i never heard about this until today :p

50. pixelplacement1

pixelplacement1

I don't know. All of the cool kids knew about it :). Actually it's only been 'live' for about 20 days now so you didn't miss much.