Search Unity

Feedback It's time to kill the wiki dead

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by StarManta, Mar 20, 2019.

1. StarManta

StarManta

It's probably not even in the consciousness of anyone on the forums, but the Unify wiki still exists, and still comes up on Google for some queries. And it is absolutely, utterly worthless in 2019. Actually, code sample for obsolete tools are worse than useless, as they're likely to frustrate any new users that come across them.

There seems to be a single user active within the last year or so attempting to clean up pages as they come across them, but the sheer quantity of obsolete script samples and pages is not reasonable for one person to fix in their spare time. Especially since this also must cover the spambots that occasionally spew forth their garbage on the wiki (and constitute the major of wiki activity over the last 9 years or so).

If the wiki can't be updated and maintained to work with remotely modern versions of Unity (and it's clear that it can't be), it needs to be archived and shut down. If you want the content to be accessible, maybe it could get a large warning at the top of every page warning users that the entire wiki is obsolete and deprecated, and just lock all pages as they are so that they don't get further mangled by spambots.

2. steinbitglis

steinbitglis

What the hell. I had lots of good code in there. Clean it up, sure! Delete everything? That's ignorant and destructive as hell.

3. mgear

mgear

4. steinbitglis

steinbitglis

Sure, I can migrate my own stuff to somewhere else, like OpenUPM or something, but I need the source from literally last week, not 2017.

OpenUPM is not beginner friendly, and it's way harder to extract little snippets, or learn your first steps.
    But that's another discussion. I'm just asking where it went. Was it taken down? Where's the replacement?

5. StarManta

StarManta

Were you like... using the wiki as your own personal code snippet repository?
    If you need to get something off of it, archive.org has a snap from April. That's probably the most recent that still exists.

The writing has been on the wall for the wiki for many years, and if you had put code on there that wasn't anywhere else, that was never going to be a good idea.

(Side note, I posted this 2 years ago and it's been ignored since then, this thread was almost certainly unrelated to anything that's happened in the last few weeks)

6. steinbitglis

steinbitglis

I have been putting a lot of scripts there, that I have linked to from Twitter, this forum and other places. It was a way to promote them. And it worked, because I often (still to this day, or a week or so ago I guess) got emails from people that had found them and were using them.

So it was a snippet repository, but for everyone but me.

I don't see what's wrong with the wiki. All of its problems boiled down to poor maintenance, like renewing the SSL certificate once per year etc. And Unity prides itself with "democratizing game development". I guess I wanted to contribute.

7. steinbitglis

steinbitglis

Example, my MonoScriptCleaner and PrefabDataCleaner, are to this day the only way I know to get rid of bloat from unused fields in old projects.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/m_m...eferences-when-the-prefab-is-modified.761219/

"In the meantime", Rune from Unity redirected to my post, which now points to a site that has been removed for no reason, and without warning.

Sorry I'm a bit snarky today, I might have lost some things that I shared for the sake of the Unity community.

8. Mauri

Mauri

I guess for such cases you'd be better off using GitHub Gist.

steinbitglis likes this.
  9. steinbitglis

steinbitglis

I know, I have no grudge against you :). Sorry for the thread resurrection.