Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

It's getting hard to keep using Collab

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by MartinIsla, Oct 15, 2017.

1. MartinIsla

MartinIsla

I like collab. The concept of "git optimized for Unity" is just amazing. The problem is we keep having problems with it. Outdated versions on the server (even after commit), deleted assets, unsynchronized scripts.
    This is not a beta anymore and I'm even paying for this, so it's pretty annoying that we have to deal with this problems.

Sorry, woke up very grumpy.

My team is: me (programmer, Unity guy), musician and artist/game designer. Musician and I have Windows, artist has macOS.
    Musician and I never had problems.
    Artist is killing me. We have a huge time difference, so I always wake up to messages like "hey, you pushed a broken version". And he shows me the errors and they're indeed related to some files being updated and some files not.

Today a file was completely deleted. Not just that, it was an actual commit. There was a commit under artist's name saying he had deleted the file. That specific file.

I think it could be related to the fact that I had moved the file to another folder yesterday.

I don't want to give up con Collab, but please make it easier.

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Tiiiincho! I'm really sorry that you've been having issues syncing changes with your artist. Would you mind telling me which version of Unity you are using and what types of changes don't seem to be syncing (scripts, scenes, materials, etc)? Does your artist remember deleting that specific file in their commit?

3. MartinIsla

MartinIsla

Sorry for late reply!
    We've had problems synching scripts. For example, I updated two scripts that depended on each other and he only got one update. This lead to compiling errors and therefore he couldn't test what he was doing.

I think we also had problems with prefabs too, but I'm not sure.

4. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Do you recall if you had renamed or moved your scripts when you edited them? Do you see both scripts in your commit when you check your Collab History window? Also, which version of Unity are you using?

5. MartinIsla

MartinIsla

We were on 2017.2.0f2 when that happened! And yes, I had moved one of the files I had problems with to a separate folder!

But, we also had problems with other files I don't really know about (sound guy uses Wwise and the SoundBanks there caused problems too).

We're back to git now, but I really like Collab and I know it will improve over time!