Search Unity

Its 'bye Unity'? (Character Creator - MetaHuman)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jeroll3d, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Some people here mentioned here making a full character in 2-4 hours.
    Well, would be amazing if the type of games I'm usually working would have 2 characters per day. Who would need Daz, Character Creator, Metahuman if creating realistic characters would be so insanely fast? ;)

My experience is more like 20 working days for major characters. Plus creating a huge variety of background characters with own modular character system, which isn't difficult to set up in UE4. Assuming that background characters share 1-2 skeletons, animations could be adjusted procedurally with Control Rig.

Anyway, my point is. MetaHuman's long-term goal seems to be cutting down the time needed to create high-quality realistic characters. They certainly experience how much time (so money) takes to craft such characters. Entirely new gameplay system can be created faster than a single character. Hence I doubt Epic is aiming at creating "a limited number of generator characters", rather than simplifying the process of sculpting complex characters.
    What we see now, it's an early preview. It's gonna take a bit of time to support all various age groups, races, ethnic groups. And clothing.
    The hair system itself is a brand new addition to the engine. Cloth simulation has been rewritten to a new physics system. Control Rig allows animating a lot of things procedurally. That's a massive investment on the Epic side into character tech.

Anyway, they're just starting with it, recruiting tool programmers, a lot of work there. I wouldn't judge MetaHuman by its early preview ;)

MadeFromPolygons, NotaNaN and Ryiah like this.
  2. jeroll3d

jeroll3d

Daz is a JOKE. Look at the plugin 'bridge'... Go to their official forum and see how they treat people who try to use this 'bridge' crap. All desperate trying to do everything to make their plugin work, no response to customer requests for help, nothing, zero. It's ridiculous how they treat their customers.

vertexx likes this.
  3. jeroll3d

jeroll3d

Any help, im around :) Just call me :3 I agree with you, anyway. Now my goal is use morphs in Unity :p (ZERO tutorials about blend shapes - at last, what i found).

4. jeroll3d

jeroll3d

Come on, Adobe, help us, start work on FUSE again :D

5. DimitriX89

DimitriX89

Looking at Metahuman distribution model (cloud service which is locked to specific engine), it is unclear how it is ever going to support import of external models like clothing. Unless it will come bundled with fully functioning modeller tools. Since the ability to produce such content in 3rd party soft would require Epic releasing the source files for Metahuman characters. Thus compromising their proprietary lock. No custom assets' support is a death sentence for any serious character design tool.

6. neginfinity

neginfinity

MadeFromPolygons and Martin_H like this.
  7. ippdev

ippdev

But you can't simply retarget. 20 days is alot for an experienced character designer and rigger to complete a high quality sculpted character. I can do it 5 days tops. MakeHuman gives a good start for generic human and can be tweaked for real character actor types..ya know.. ugly, caricatured, mega-ethnic.I could get a fairly decent Jimmy Durante out of MakeHuman in 15 minutes. Not so with MetaHuman if possible at all. MetaHuman makes average psuedo-handsome characters. Very bland.

Can't really figure out why you post here. Is there not enough traffic at the Unreal forum?

jeroll3d and neginfinity like this.
  8. Martin_H

Martin_H

To me cloud service means "they'll shut it down eventually.".

EternalAmbiguity likes this.
  9. vertexx

vertexx

Unity had tons of Daz/Poser characters on sale a while ago. Didn't go down very well.
    As jeroll3d mentioned, Daz is a joke, well for Unity anyway! Too much bother to use.