Search Unity

Feedback `ITilemap` is not an interface, why the `I` prefix?

Discussion in '2D' started by Elringus, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Elringus

Elringus

Continuing the other topic (locked now), I'd like to ask why `ITilemap`, being a class, has the `I` prefix, which conventionally used for interfaces in C#? It's really confusing when working with the API for the first time. I suppose there was a good reason for naming it like this; if so, please let us know and mention that in the docs. Otherwise, please consider renaming the class or making it an actual interface.

kukurenaiz and spryx like this.
  2. spryx

spryx

Agree...that is super confusing. TilemapData maybe?

kukurenaiz likes this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

I guess @ChuanXin can answer that.

What about asking nicely?

4. Elringus

Elringus

Uhm, was "please" not enough to sound polite? Sorry, I'm not a native speaker; didn't mean to be rude in any way.

kukurenaiz and JoNax97 like this.
  5. Vryken

Vryken

They didn't come off as rude to me.

kukurenaiz and JoNax97 like this.
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Here is a possible answer to your question: https://alexfranchuk.com/blog/internal-interface-classes-in-csharp/ and I bet this is it.

7. Elringus

Elringus

kukurenaiz likes this.
  8. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

ITilemap was an interface when it was first created with the Tilemap component implementing this interface. However, this was brought up as a potential issue for future API changes in our code review, hence the change to its current state.

Unfortunately, renaming the class or turning it back into an interface at that point of time (and now) brings the possibility of causing issues when users upgrade to a Unity version with that change, which may not be mitigated by the Unity Script Upgrader. We will keep this in mind for a future iteration of the Tilemap feature (eg. Dots). If you have further questions about this or other APIs, do let us know!

kukurenaiz and Deleted User like this.
  9. Elringus

Elringus

Thank you for the response! Can you please clarify why you named it `ITilemap` when decided to change the interface to a class after the code review. Why not `TilemapData` or something else, without the `I` prefix?

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

It was already named ITilemap since it was an interface, they just didn't change the name for the reasons explained when they changed it to a class

11. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

To further clarify this, the API had already been released to the public as a preview release. We did not want to cause issues as mentioned above, hence keeping it the same.

Deleted User likes this.