Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Iterative lightmapping seems to stall

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by Brenden-Frank, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Brenden-Frank

Brenden-Frank

Hey guys,

I'm trying to get set up with Enlighten but it's been clustering for 12 hours and seems stuck on Light Transport.
    Is there something I need to do to get this feature working? The scene is relatively complex with terrain and props; runs around 1500-2000 drawcalls in any direction.

Thanks,

Brenden

2. seattlebluesky

seattlebluesky

- Is the Console output in the Editor showing any errors/warnings?
    - At the point at which it seems to be 'stuck' is the Unity Editor still responsive? i.e. is it use the GI pass that is 'stuck' or the while application?
    - What system spec is the laptop/desktop? i.e. amount of memory, CPU configuration etc.?

FWIW I have a similarly complicated scene albeit without programmatic terrain that gets light-mapped by Enlighten in a reasonable amount of time. I do see many 'Failed to read baked texture' messages with b12 (did with b9 also). This is reported as FogBugz case 645661.

3. Brenden-Frank

Brenden-Frank

No errors
    It finished clustering after about 12 hours then got stuck on Light transport
    Desktop machine with 8 core 4ghz processor and 16gb ram

Good to know, hopefully we can figure it out; we assumed it was our scene complexity that was causing enlighten to fail.

-Brenden

4. seattlebluesky

seattlebluesky

I'd consider I think reducing the scene down piece by piece in a cloned version to see if you can identify the specific geometry that is causing it. Perhaps the terrain? It may not be worth it to you, but for sure there could be a reproducible issue here. One thing to try is a refresh. While the project is closed I delete the project's local Library folder which will cause a re-import/re-create of the cached assets including the GI cache upon re-open.

5. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Hi Brenden! Terrains can take a long time to cluster and light, if they are huge and the lightmapping resolution is set high. The default value before beta13 was too high for most terrains but this should be fixed now. It is likely that you will see faster bake times if you set the lightmap scale for the terrain to a lower value.

6. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

mine freezes a lot when i use continuous baking, but i wont complain as its still in beta, for now i switch it off

7. breezinstein_iv

breezinstein_iv

mine tends to freeze up on clustering and i have to force quit unity, this only happens if i set anything as "static" though

8. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

mines stalls on light transport, when i had it on a terrain i had to manually crash unity and then the second time it ran fine

9. Studiomaurer

Studiomaurer

I have a scene which is not perfectly optimized but also not too complex (two rooms with furniture). Renders the whole system quite unresponsive after a while during "clustering", tried multiple times. I've let it run overnight lately and it would quit because of "not enough memory". I'm using 32GB RAM on WIN 8.1. Is there any best practices on how your model should be set up? Separate walls vs large efficient models?

10. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

@reptilebeats @breezinstein_iv when you say freeze; do you mean Unity crashes, the whole system locks up but with the possibility of moving the cursor or something completely different?

@Studiomaurer please send us your project so we can have a look. It shouldn't use that much memory on a simple scene.

Thanks!

11. chrismarch

chrismarch

12. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

i could move my curser but i couldnt do anything within the scene, if i tried rotating or moving the view port then it would take a few minutes for it to actually move. after i crashed it on purpose though it worked fine the second time

13. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

• crashed unity on purpose that is not my computer. has not happened again though.

14. GeoEuclid

GeoEuclid

I tried to turn on iterative baking for a decently sized scene, and it stalled.I could not move my mouse. I had to force restart my computer.

15. sui0528

sui0528

I run the angry-bot demo scene, and bake the static light map, this is my settings :

upload_2014-11-24_13-6-16.png

The time is so long and exceed 1 hour, and the lighttransport stage is just start, why enlighten is so much slower than beast?

16. sui0528

sui0528

And ... the light transport stage is stalling , stalling ,staling....never end!

17. sui0528

sui0528

I want to know is it worthy using the enlighten for GI rather than Beast for mobile developers like me? The baking time of Enlighten is much longer than Beast , and I doubt whether the visual quality is much better than Beast.

18. breezinstein_iv

breezinstein_iv

@KEngelstoft by freeze, i meant the lightmapping never completed, it stayed forever on Clustering and kept using up memory till the unity process has to be force quit. This was on Unity 5 Beta 12, on Mac OSX Yosemite. just updated to beta 14, i'll try reproducing the bug.

19. breezinstein_iv

breezinstein_iv

20. Brenden-Frank

Brenden-Frank

Hey, just to give an update -- I'm on beta 14 and I've tried again on a separate build machine. My terrain size is 1024 and I lowered the scale in lightmap to 0.05.

I'm still seeing very long render times. The build machine is still running and it has been two days. It finished clustering after about a day and is working on Light Transport with 628 jobs remaining.

Our scene is what we'd consider a relatively complex outdoor scene; it runs at about 1000-1500 draw calls so there's a fairly large number of props in the scene as well. I'll see about uploading a project soon. I've got a couple Unity bugs that came back to me asking for a project and it's all revolving around this scene.

21. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

try upgrading to v16 i get little to none in the newer beta version

22. Brenden-Frank

Brenden-Frank

Unfortunately v16 catastrophically broke in every way so I was forced to revert.

23. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

@Brenden Frank what is the case numbers of the bugs your have filed, which contains your scene with the terrain?

24. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

shame v16 works really smoothly with me, couple crashes with it and the terrain tools sometimes bugs out but apart from that i haven't really had any problems