Search Unity

Item Icons (.tga) made in Photoshop not using alpha channel.

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by IronBlockGames, Mar 23, 2018.

1. IronBlockGames

IronBlockGames

I have been having a serious issue and it is driving me up the wall.
    I am making item icons in photoshop, and saving them as .tga files, they all have an alpha channel to them for transparency, and yes the 'alpha channels' check box is checked when I save the files. But when I import it to unity and test it, the background to most my icons come's out solid black with no transparency.

What is becoming super annoying is some of these items are properly importing with the alpha channels giving the icon transparency, but other's are not. They ALL use the same icon template file, with just a new alpha channel made for each one, all made the exact same way.

My Steps:
    .psd template file.
    Solid black (#000000) background that fills the whole image on its own layer
    CTRL + Click the drawn in icon that's on a layer above the black solid background
    Under Channels clicking "save sellection as channel'.
    Exporting image as .tga, 'alpha channels' IS checked.
    Targa Options's is set to 32 bits/pixels
    Import .tga into Unity

Yet some times the file's import with the alpha channel properly in place giving the item's a transparent background, and other's it retains a solid black background.

I have re-made my template file a few times now and get the same thing.

Is there something that is triggering the alpha channel to fail? I've even tried flattening the image after the alpha channel is made and get the same thing. This is driving me up the wall and slowing down my projects progress re-making the same image over and over until it finally opts to keep the alpha channel.

2. mat108

mat108

Unity is garbage.