Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

It seems to me that...

Discussion in 'FPS.Sample Game' started by LtKelleyUSMC, Dec 21, 2021.

1. LtKelleyUSMC

LtKelleyUSMC

For some reason, Unity Technologies, keeps changing stuff. I am in the middle of trying this FPSSample program, that is available to learn from. Today is Dec 20, 2021, and this FPSSample is for version 2018.3.8f1. IT SEEMS TO ME THAT, if Unity wants to keep updating their gameEngine, they make all the gameEngine versions backward compatible. I see at the top of this web forum, that "2022.1 beta is now available for testing", so, I would expect that this FPSSample "SHOULD WORK" in this new version, meaning that they should include all the methods and whatever with this version. This reminds me of what Microsoft does. They have not even finished with Windows 10, getting all the bugs worked out in that... and well, well. Now they are releasing Windows 11. ARE YOU KIDDING?!?!?!? I have come to the decision that Microsoft is all about making money, and not having quality OS's. They just keep on inventing more things, all in the name of $$$.
    It seems that everyone is starting to follow suit with this type of thinking. Now, you can't even buy a CD to install your software on, you have to buy a SUBSCRIPTION.
    If you ask me, that is a TERRIBLE way to do business. NOW, AS FAR AS UNITY, I found that project sample, called SPATIALOS that is another one of those complete projects, similar to this FPSSample, but because of some type of ToS (terms of service) dispute between IMPROBABLE and Unity, we, the developers, are left holding the back, and not able to move forward. I hate this SO MUCH, that I even downloaded UNREAL ENGINE, to see if I could get this SpatialOS to work for me, but after seeing what is involved in learning a new Game Engine, I gave up. I would prefer to stay with Unity. This is like, I had considered building computer, and installing a version of Apple, but gave up when finding that I know nothing about Apple, so now I am stuck dealing with all the BS that Microsoft produces, like the Windows 10 Updates (I call the Microsoft Virus).
    This stuff is frustrating enough, to make me give up using a computer, and go back to the ABACUS, if you know what I mean.
    So, now, I have finished downloading Unity 2018.3.8f1, and am going to try loading this FPSSample, after downloading it using Git. If this is not a simple "Get it to going" thing, I might just give up on this FPSSample thing, and perhaps Unity too, I have no idea. It just depends on my level of frustration, and whether I really give a YOU KNOW WHAT, to spend HOURS ON END trying to resolve this stuff!!!
    JUST TO BE FAIR TO UNITY. I have followed the FPSSample/Readme.md and so far, everything works just as outlined, but I have not got to the Multiplayer portion as of yet.
    =============== SUCCESSFULLY BUILT THE GAME EXECUTABLE ==================
    So I am back, and yes, I have had time to test out the Multiplayer portion of this game, and had two windows working at the same time. I have also found the EXECUTABLE to run a stand alone version, outside of the Unity IDE. It is located at: FPSSample/AutoBuild/AutoBuild.exe
    This will start the game, after you have run the Build game button in the Project Tools window.
    I am finding that this is not the typical way the you build a game (File->Build Settings->Build).
    This Build game button will build the game, and therefore you will end up with the AutoBuild.exe.
    This does seem to be very awesome, but it took a lot of reading through the Documentation to get a good understanding on how this works, but it was well worth it.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    tinyant likes this.
  2. Leviticus2011

Leviticus2011

hw did you even get the project to work?