Search Unity

It feels increasingly difficult to hunt for information about LTS packages

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bitinn, Apr 27, 2021.

1. bitinn

bitinn

Not sure if it is just me, but I feel it has became increasingly difficult to look up information regarding verified packages that target a major LTS version.

Either something is new, so doc is missing or partially complete, or the implementation has changed, so everybody only cares about how it works for the next version.

Neither way, I feel using 2018 LTS and 2019 LTS *with packages* have been pretty frustrating for me: I am not a newbie at Unity, but damn I see no way to find discussion or information specifically for major version + package version that I use.

In addition, Unity team has been stretched so thin, they can only respond when things really went south, so it's up to the chances if you can find that specific thread that are fortunate enough to get a dev suggestion.

Are folks here all getting Unity Technical support via premium service?

Honestly, how do you manage this "problem"?

2. I'm not sure I understand what you want or how you want to consume the information.

If I need to know how something work in a package, just click in the package manager on the documentation link, example:
    screenshot1.png

This will take you to the package's documentation page (alternatively you can google it as well).
    If you need another version's doc, just switch versions in the usual drop down:
    screenshot2.png

But I almost never use it, unless accidentally google something and I end up on a wrong version.

I have never needed a hypothetical Unity version's package documentation.

3. bitinn

bitinn

Not talking about the documentation versioning, that's working as intended.

I am talking about any of these:

- Trying to find a doc on some features that's not documented.
    - Trying to find some information on a feature that has changed in the next major version.
    - Trying to find information about specific usage of a feature but no one is talking about it.

I will show you 2 recent threads of mine as an example, but I have faced much more issues beyond HDRP.

- https://forum.unity.com/threads/how...ork-the-ambient-show-up-black-for-me.1099963/
    - https://forum.unity.com/threads/ind...-also-affect-planar-reflection-probe.1097929/

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

None of these are unique to LTS releases. In fact the first is practically a feature of Unity.

NotaNaN and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  5. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

on my last project I spent so much time on this specific problem I am literally just putting it on hold until I can hire more people to help.

For now I am making projects that either dont require unity or require no special packages or built in features.

6. bitinn

bitinn

I can understand when it comes to Tech stream, for LTS releases and verified packages I don't think we are asking for a lot here.

Tech writers are usually payed pretty badly and their department are usually understaffed, I really think Unity would shine if they get more documentation maintainers - dev can only answer so many questions, to not mention there aren't many dev per feature at Unity.

stain2319 likes this.
  7. Murgilod

Murgilod

They apparently hired on a lot of documentation staff but honestly at this point I can't explain any of Unity's issues as anything other than a gross failure of planning and management.

Jingle-Fett likes this.